Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #1

Sink/Shower Drain for 228 pop-up

We have been having the drains run slow and back up. There must be a way to use PVC pipe to set up a 2 side connection to drain the shower over to the sink and then to the sewer. How do you guys do this and does it work well?
Birddogguy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum!

Are you sure that your problem isn't partially clogged traps on the shower and sink drain? Can you access them to check?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
daydreaming about camping

on mine, the sink and shower drain to the same grey water holding tank. since the sink drain is higher than the shower drain, one easy test to see where your clog is this: does your sink drain back-up when there is no water in the shower drain? if so, then the clog is at the trap on the sink.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #4

Guys thanks for the response, We are new pop up owners. We are using a garden hose for drainage and I think is the real problem. I am thinking of just using a 12 or 15 gallon portable holding tank instead of trying to use a garden hose the shower and sink back up because it's hard to keep the required downward slope. I think a portable tank may be more useful, I could just move it to the shower side at shower time if need be. What do you think
Old 06-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #5

does yours not have a built in holding tank of any type? from your description, you have two separate drains from shower and sink - which strikes me as an odd way for it to come from the factory.

As for slope - if the camper is level, you should have all the slope you need to drain.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #6

Yep, it has the shower drain under the door side at rear of unit, the sink drains at about the midpoint on the back side high up.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #7

well, that is a different problem. some camgrounds will not allow you to discharge gray water, so you may have to buy a holding tank anyway.

Campers are not built with much water flow in mind, but a sink drain should not back up unless something is caught in the trap.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddogguy56
We have been having the drains run slow and back up. There must be a way to use PVC pipe to set up a 2 side connection to drain the shower over to the sink and then to the sewer. How do you guys do this and does it work well?
Here is a person who created a great drain system for the shower and sink gray water.

http://he-ruide.smugmug.com/Wastewat...821701&k=dBBKj

Yes most popup campers do not have onboard gray water tanks. And for some reason many If not all I looked at had the shower drain on one side and the sink drain on the other.

Good luck
Old 06-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #9

Hi,

We had a similar problem with our new Rockwood with our sink draining too slow through a piece of garden hose (using the gray adapter fitting supplied by Rockwood). Note: We don't have a shower on our A-Frame.

I surfed the web (kind of a common problem with a number of similar solutions) and built my own drain that connects to the side of the camper and replaced the stock adapter setup with plastic sink drain parts. I used a threaded "T" with a nut (and a couple of other parts) to connect to the side of the camper. I capped the top and drilled a couple of small "vent" holes in it. The original fitting screws into the bottom of the "T". The hose attaches to the fitting and drains to our gray water container.

The sink now drains properly. (Cost was less than $6.00). See the high quality diagram (below).

| <-- The side of the camper
|
|...... ,Capped but vented at top
|]=[] <-- Sink "T" (attaches to sink drain on side of trailer)
|....||
|.....\\ <--Drain adapter at bottom connected to hose going to gray water container.

(Imagine a beautiful image - just remove the dots (periods)

I hope this is helpful. If you want a real picture let me know.
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #10

I got tired of looking and got an adapter 1.5" thdd X slip. I plan to get an adptr from 1.5" to 3/4 inch so I can use a short piece of 3/4 pipe between it and a 3/4 inch Tee. I plan to put a screen over the up end of the Tee and a 3/4 X 1/2 inch adapter on the down end. Then I will glue the hose into the adapter.

Having the up end open should help with the gravity flow the Forest River bozos never thought would be a problem but it is. Yeah my dealer said I'm the only guy in the world with this complaint!

andyflyfisher@comcast.net..crude and crowded picture can be emailed.
andyflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #11

On my Flagstaff BR19 I got a 1.5" to 3/4" adapter with a barb fitting and used a 4' piece of clear plastic tubing and drained the kitchen sink into a 5 gallon bucket. Dump the bucket down the sewer drop or wherever.
Just drain the shower into a bucket as well.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #12

thanks for the input, but had you read that which I posted I was offering advice on how to solve the problem. I really do not have a problem communicating so please, read the post next time.
andyflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote