Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2015, 10:53 PM   #1

SIRIUS radio add

I'm looking at adding a siruisxm radio dock to my hw276. My pup has a car radio so I'm thinking all I need is the car kit but I would like a remote. Has anyone added this or know is they make a dock with remote?
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:05 PM   #2

Call Sirius and they sell a radio kit. I purchased mine for 19.95 from them and added it to my MH. The only thing was I had to add that radio to my account. Now my Car and MH both have Sirius wouldn't travel without them...
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:22 AM   #3

That is a great idea Kinma.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #4

Ty Vin maker. Yeah we have it for the truck and alot of CG the radio don't come in great. We did use the WiFi at KOA last year but most CG we stay at don't offer wifi.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #5

I replaced the dash radio in my MH with a XM 'ready' stereo then added a XM tuner kit purchased from Best Buy, this way the XM is controlled through the stereo control knobs no little box to deal with.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #6

Batts toys that's what I was thinking of doing but I want to take the xm in my house since it's a pup and not giing to be used alot this year
Old 02-09-2015, 02:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinma13 View Post
Batts toys that's what I was thinking of doing but I want to take the xm in my house since it's a pup and not giing to be used alot this year
I take and use my XM in the house to use when I do not travel. I had to buy there docking station, I think I bought a rebuilt for 59.00. The only problem is the antenna it has to face south through the window. Other then that to me it wouldn't be cost worthy to me being I do not have it in my cars or my TV. The docking station will run off of D cell batteries or 110 volt. The sound is really pretty good as I was surprised.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:25 AM   #8

Talking just XM system here, I have no experience with Sirius, so have no idea if the same problems arise.

What do you guys use when camping in the northern states, under large pine trees? I know my vehicles, will lose signal if parked with the trees to the south of the vehicle. (In fact, in my driveway, the two large trees will block my XM signal for a few feet.) I guess it is like a TV satellite system, just move the antenna around to get service.

Thinking of getting a system for my popup. Been using my cell phone connected to some bluetooth speakers, but would also like to listen to the news once in a while.

Do you use a long lead and just move the antenna around the campsite to pick up service?

I know in some large metro areas they have repeaters installed since the satellite cannot be picked up due to large buildings. I used that when living in MI. Don't need that anymore since I have sirius on Dish and it is all fed through the home entertainment system.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #9

I have never ran into that problem when at a CG with a canopy of tree's over me. My antenna is located in my main slide roof pointing straight up. I even have a topper over that. They do make a extension if you needed to move it. My reception is very good no matter how I'm parked. XM and Sirius are the same it's more of a model then anything else. If you are using the clam type antenna, Then that has to have a clear shot South. At least that is what I have found on mine and have had it for 3 years now installed in my entertainment center, connected to the Concertone. The clam type antenna is only used for the docking speaker system. That has to be south or it will not work as you said, it needs a clear sky.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:18 AM   #10

Are you camping primarily in the south, and is it XM or Sirius? XM has two active stationary sats and further north you get the lower angle from the antenna to the sat. My experiences in the past six years have been on vehicles, equipped with the larger black tri-antenna mounted on GM vehicles (XM antenna, Onstar voice antenna, and Onstar GPS antenna).

Might not have that problem on a Sirius setup since, I believe, the sat is more over the center of the country and is moving vs. the stationary XM sats in the south.

But all my camping is in ID, MT, WY, CO and sometimes UT. And usually in camping areas surrounded by large pine trees.

For example in my driveway, if I move the truck two feet forward or two feet back, I start getting reception, it is just in a certain area where the two trees align perfectly to kill the signal.

Oh well, I guess I might give it a try, or stay with my cell phone/bluetooth setup and just listen to the news when driving.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 02-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just my two cents but why pay for a service when you can use Pandora on a smart phone?
We used to have xm but ditched it when we got smart phones.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:37 AM   #12
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Are you using a smart phone? So many apps available for what your talking about. Our family uses XM on tablets, laptops, phone, even the ole desk top computers.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #13

Don't you need cell phone service or data coverage for Pandora? And where I camp, you need to drive miles for either.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:54 AM   #14

F5moab. My truck is siruis so that's what I'm looking at for the service. Just called them and I need a plan for every radio. Which sucks.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:15 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yes service and a data plan are required.
But your paying for it anyway.
If you have no service then true you'd need a sat radio.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #16

I'll keep the XM in the truck going; I know, probably wasting my money, but heck, it's only money.
As for camping....where I usually camp, there is no data service; once in while I might be in a place with very limited cell service. That's why I camp and hike with a PLB. Just in case...

Old 02-10-2015, 03:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinma13 View Post
F5moab. My truck is siruis so that's what I'm looking at for the service. Just called them and I need a plan for every radio. Which sucks.
I have an Xm service unit in my house, I plan to go online to my account when I am ready to go camping and switch from the house unit to the MH tuner unit, just replace one with the other, after camping switch it back. You don't need a seperate plan for every radio, you add additional radios to your existing plan each added unit is only $9.95 a month I currently have 3 units not counting the MH.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #18

I was thinking during camping just activate the home/pup radio and have the car set up always. They will setup the car free activate but want 15 to act the second one so I'm thinking just put in DW name so I get the free active.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #19
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

F5, You should tell us where you camp w/o cell service. So we can decide!
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:37 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to B and B
To answer the question on Sirius. I have Sirus in my Rockwood, I placed the antenna on the outside edge of the slide roof, ran the coax into the entertainment centre mounted a car kit in there and tied into 12 volts. In the heaviest of forest I still get a signal. I also get it in the truck. We can not access Pandora in Canada or many other streaming service unfortunately. Most place I camp there is no FM even so Sirius or Galaxie off Shaw Direct Sat TV is our radio.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio