Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2022, 09:01 AM   #1

Solar Setup

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2022 1940 LTD Rockwood Freedom popup

I’ve successfully self installed a 2000 watt inverter, Solar charge controller and (2) 100 watt renogy panels. Testing it out dry camping and got about 2 days power before recharge from the sun was needed. I don’t run a lot of high amp devices and run the fridge off propane.

I’m looking to add another panel, another battery and a renogy Bluetooth module to monitor.

I’ve made myself a diagram of my intended additions with specs and was wondering if there are any experienced Solar people or electricians out there that could verify my AWG wire selections and connections are ok so I don’t burn down my new beauty! LOL 🙏😁

I was going to upgrade to 100ah batteries but decided to stick with factory interstate battery that came with it and just get another one.

All comments and feedback welcome.
Thanks in advance!

Link to homemade diagram

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v_RXEMbqeGmoYffPY9R2SJGAZzZmZ_vh/view?usp=drivesdk
MULCHY08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:31 AM   #2

I'm not a "solar expert", but I don't see any problems there. If anything maybe a bit overbuilt. Just the way I would do it.

"Nothing too strong ever broke."

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 10:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULCHY08 View Post
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2022 1940 LTD Rockwood Freedom popup

I’ve successfully self installed a 2000 watt inverter, Solar charge controller and (2) 100 watt renogy panels. Testing it out dry camping and got about 2 days power before recharge from the sun was needed. I don’t run a lot of high amp devices and run the fridge off propane.

I’m looking to add another panel, another battery and a renogy Bluetooth module to monitor.

I’ve made myself a diagram of my intended additions with specs and was wondering if there are any experienced Solar people or electricians out there that could verify my AWG wire selections and connections are ok so I don’t burn down my new beauty! LOL ����

I was going to upgrade to 100ah batteries but decided to stick with factory interstate battery that came with it and just get another one.

All comments and feedback welcome.
Thanks in advance!

Link to homemade diagram

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v_R...w?usp=drivesdk
Very nicely done. Please tell me what you used to make that diagram.

The only things I noticed was the lack of fuses. With three panels there may need to be panel fuses. Also, there is usually a fuse between the SCC and battery. Possibly a high amp fuse between the battery and the inverter. I say possibly, because some manufactures have high amp fuses built in, but having additional fuses doesn't hurt anything.

Fuses are used primarily to prevent overheating and protect the wiring. Sometimes the wire run is so short it isn't feasible to insert a fuse. It appears that you used 4 awg wiring throughout which is a good. I used 4 gauge in my system and nothing has ever come near getting too hot.

With 154 AH , 77 of which are usable, expect limited use of your inverter.

Regarding the system fusing, I recommend you go to Explorist.life for further study of required system fusing.
Old 10-06-2022, 11:21 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback and I agree about the external fuses for added protection great suggestion. I’ll look into that. Any suggestions on what to use there for the inverter and SCC and panels? Thanks for the site reference!

I used my Adobe Indesign program, I’m a graphic designer so that was helpful haha. I’m also a visual learner so this roadmap definitely helps.

Good to know I’m on the right track.

Even with two batteries in parallel 77 is all I’m going to get? I thought that increased amperage while keeping voltage the same? I did drain the battery the last morning making a cup of coffee with a small coffee maker and the inverter haha

I’m still learning so much….

Helpful reply thanks again!
Old 10-06-2022, 11:22 AM   #5

Haha thanks! As for “overbuilt” what would you suggest is not needed? Appreciate the feedback, just rolling with Renogy’s suggestions here
Old 10-06-2022, 11:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Haha thanks! As for “overbuilt” what would you suggest is not needed? Appreciate the feedback, just rolling with Renogy’s suggestions here

Really the only thing that made me say "wow" was the 2ga tie between the batteries. But with the loads you'll be having I think it looks good.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 12:04 PM   #7

Gotcha! Yeah probably overkill but I guess I’m concerned about the 4’ distance between batteries and overheating lol They say bigger gauges are better than smaller when it comes to that issue so I’m erring on the side of caution lol
Old 10-06-2022, 12:43 PM   #8

To me the 2 guage is good between the batteries. Personally I definitely would put in a cutoff switch between the battery positive and the wiring and maybe one go into the panels. Are you married to the PVM SCC? An MPPT would be a lot more efficient.
Old 10-06-2022, 03:11 PM   #9

The alarming bit in your system is the 2000w invert with only 150AH. That is an enormous strain and perhaps exceeds the discharge rate of your battery bank.

Perhaps a bit more research on battery C-rates and you’ll be in great shape.

Also, I’d be curious what the inverter idle load is. If I could hazard a guess it would be near 1.5-2a.
Old 10-06-2022, 04:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback and I agree about the external fuses for added protection great suggestion. I’ll look into that. Any suggestions on what to use there for the inverter and SCC and panels? Thanks for the site reference!

I used my Adobe Indesign program, I’m a graphic designer so that was helpful haha. I’m also a visual learner so this roadmap definitely helps.

Good to know I’m on the right track.

Even with two batteries in parallel 77 is all I’m going to get? I thought that increased amperage while keeping voltage the same? I did drain the battery the last morning making a cup of coffee with a small coffee maker and the inverter haha

I’m still learning so much….
Helpful reply thanks again!
With lead acid batteries if you use over 50 percent of the AH you are damaging your batteries. You will get away with it a few times, but eventually you will notice a real decline in output.

On my 2200 watt inverter I placed a 200AH switch like fuse. If the draw on the battery exceeds 200 amps the resettable fuse will open. There should be specs in your documentation for your inverter.

Having a large inverter isn't a problem if you have the battery power run it. If you don't have the battery power, you can still safely use it for small demand uses, but the temptation to over use it will eventually catch up with you or your significant other who may be the meal preparer.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:49 AM   #11

Thanks for the info! The inverter has a built in fuse and shuts off in the event of high or low voltage. I’ve decided to go with 2 100amp lithium batteries and add a panel with a shunt and battery monitor so it’s back to the drawing board lol
Old 10-12-2022, 09:50 AM   #12

Hi there thanks for the feedback! After reading more on it, I’ve decided to go with 2 100amp lithium batteries and add a panel with a shunt and battery monitor so it’s back to the drawing board lol tried researching the idle but no luck I’ll keep digging for you
Old 10-12-2022, 12:06 PM   #13

Thinking of making the switch to Lithium as well.. Curious to find out which Lithium batteries you decided to go with and why.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 12:31 PM   #14

I went with Ampere due to cost being a factor. Was looking at the Renogy smart 100Amps but I keep reading about their horrible customer service and I’m not one for headaches lol
These had great reviews across the board and were highly recommended on a video blog review which was super informational.

I also love the idea of having lighter weight and batteries more secured since I had to do an after market hitch install and it already sits low on my Jeep Cherokee.

Link to batteries:
https://a.co/d/h8XI7q4

Review Link:
https://youtu.be/F9QB9mN_58s

My only concern is cold weather camping (I don’t believe lithium’s charge when it’s below freezing unless they have a self heater built in) but I’m doing an interior install so they should stay warm enough and cozy for charging.

Providing I have a successful install, I’ll share the results!
Good luck
Old 10-12-2022, 12:34 PM   #15

They also have a 5-year warranty which was nice ��
Old 10-12-2022, 02:37 PM   #16

Quote:
They also have a 5-year warranty which was nice ��

Thanks for that Mulchy! These batteries have really come down in price and not that much more than a good deep cycle lead acid or AGM. I have a call into to tech support to see what I need to do to get my WFCO power center upgraded to support Lithium charging.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 02:59 PM   #17

Quote:
I went with Ampere due to cost being a factor. Was looking at the Renogy smart 100Amps but I keep reading about their horrible customer service and I’m not one for headaches lol
These had great reviews across the board and were highly recommended on a video blog review which was super informational.

I also love the idea of having lighter weight and batteries more secured since I had to do an after market hitch install and it already sits low on my Jeep Cherokee.

Link to batteries:
https://a.co/d/h8XI7q4

Review Link:
https://youtu.be/F9QB9mN_58s

My only concern is cold weather camping (I don’t believe lithium’s charge when it’s below freezing unless they have a self heater built in) but I’m doing an interior install so they should stay warm enough and cozy for charging.

Providing I have a successful install, I’ll share the results!
Good luck
I see the 100ah plus’s have come down in cost to equal one 200ah plus. Curious as to why you went with the two batteries in stead of the one 200ah plus. I went the the single 200ah plus 3 weeks ago for the footprint in my storage pass through.
Old 10-12-2022, 03:10 PM   #18

The AmpereTime 100Ah have a 100A BMS, while the 200Ah battery has a 100A BMS. When the two 100Ah batteries are wired in parallel it will perform as a 200Ah battery with a 200A BMS; double the power passthrough. It's boils down to loads and preferences really.
Old 10-12-2022, 03:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
The AmpereTime 100Ah have a 100A BMS, while the 200Ah battery has a 100A BMS. When the two 100Ah batteries are wired in parallel it will perform as a 200Ah battery with a 200A BMS; double the power passthrough. It's boils down to loads and preferences really.
The 200amp+ has a 200 amp bms which is why I went that way. Smaller footprint
Old 10-12-2022, 04:38 PM   #20

Another benefit of two 100Ah is that if one cell goes bad, you can isolate that battery and still have 100Ah of 12v power. If a cell goes bad in the 200Ah, I seriously doubt the BMS will still provide power.
(We're just getting started!)
JimM2109S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar