Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2024, 05:19 PM   #1

Stabilizer Scissor Jacks recommendations

Hello everyone, I have a 2014 Rockwood pop up trailer. I am looking to replace all 4 stabilizer scissor jacks. The ones I have are bent and just seem to be out of shape. Is there a brand or a recommended model or anything. I looked on Amazon and found a pair of Peaktow 24” 7,500 lbs (that is probably overkill on weight) for a decent price. Is there anything I should be looking for or will any do provided the weight and size match?

Thanks for any help and input.
04rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 05:31 PM   #2

I have no recommendation but would suggest a drill jack adapter to go with the stabiizers.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Levelin...s%2C161&sr=8-8

You arent trying to jack up the trailer, just stabilize it, so while you want the stabilizer sturdy I wouldnt be concerned about load rating on the jack. A screw stabilizer should work fine if cost is an issue
https://www.amazon.com/X-Haibei-Stab...s%2C167&sr=8-5
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 06:17 PM   #3

Just curious how did they get bent? No weight should be on them.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 06:50 PM   #4

Thank you for your input. Yes agreed, the new ones will have the drill jack adapter for sure. It will make it a lot easier to lift.

I am thinking the same thing. It isn’t lifting the trailer just stabilizing it. So weight shouldn’t matter as much. I guess the size would be the most important thing.

Well I bough this trailer used so I am not sure. The rear one is bent (top part is bent so it goes down crooked). Seems that they don’t go up and down easily and the center screw part on another looks a bit crooked.they still work but I don’t like them. I figured I would just replace them so I don’t worry about them and I am able to use the screw adapter. Also keep regular maintenance on them which I do not think the previous owners did.

Thanks for the help.
04rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:48 PM   #5

I bought a new set off of Ebay when I installed mine. (The trailer did not have them to begin with).

I do not know what brand they were but I wanted sturdy ones. They are all basically similar. I do not think brand is that important on the screw 4 corner stabilizers. Even good ones can get bent if they are drug or not up when the trailer is moved.

I was looking at price and what seemed sturdy.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 01-28-2024, 08:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post
Thank you for your input. Yes agreed, the new ones will have the drill jack adapter for sure. It will make it a lot easier to lift.

I am thinking the same thing. It isn’t lifting the trailer just stabilizing it. So weight shouldn’t matter as much. I guess the size would be the most important thing.

Well I bough this trailer used so I am not sure. The rear one is bent (top part is bent so it goes down crooked). Seems that they don’t go up and down easily and the center screw part on another looks a bit crooked.they still work but I don’t like them. I figured I would just replace them so I don’t worry about them and I am able to use the screw adapter. Also keep regular maintenance on them which I do not think the previous owners did.

Thanks for the help.

As a practice, one should first level the trailer left to right by using suitable wood blocks or plastic block kits placed under the wheels. Then second, level the trailer using the tongue jack to obtain front to back level. Then drop the stabilizer jacks to "stabilize" the trailer thus minimizing movement.

I've seen many in campgrounds using impact tools to raise or level the trailer. I've also seen many bent scissor jacks too.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 09:38 PM   #7

After doing some searching on several RV sites, I ended up buying Cynder brand jacks. They had a number of positive citings. They are stronger than the OEM jacks I replaced.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 09:48 PM   #8

Good sturdy one I bought for my 2018 14' rockwood

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Drill adapters are great just be carefull and dont lift the camper up by these jacks.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 10:25 PM   #9

One advantage of the heavier weight ratings, is the material is typically thicker, thus stronger and less prone to bending or flexing when used properly.
2012 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD and 4:10
mmartin_tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 08:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Just curious how did they get bent? No weight should be on them.

NO Weight ? kind of worthless if you can't put any weight on them just leave them up ... i always put mine under weight helps to stabilize the unit
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 09:08 AM   #11

something like these are better
you can also use them to adjust the level

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...tails=.reviews
Old 02-01-2024, 09:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
NO Weight ? kind of worthless if you can't put any weight on them just leave them up ... i always put mine under weight helps to stabilize the unit
Sorry you misunderstood my post.

There should be just enough weight on them to stabilize the camper no where near their capacity. No near enough to lift or level the camper. No where enough to bend them.

They can get bent if you move the camper or if it moves on it's own.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 02-01-2024, 09:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Sorry you misunderstood my post.

There should be just enough weight on them to stabilize the camper no where near their capacity. No near enough to lift or level the camper. No where enough to bend them.

They can get bent if you move the camper or if it moves on it's own.

Any jacks or even campers with self leveling jacks can bend if unit is moved with them down . I always put the stabilizers under enough pressure that it takes some weight off the springs lifts the box about 3/4 of an inch to a full inch . never a issue never had bent stabilizers.
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
There is a difference between "tightening them up" and lifting the trailer. When one observes the trailer body move when deploying the stabilizers, that is the stopping point. Yes, there is some weight on the stabilizers, but not much to be lifting the trailer. Stabilizers are NOT leveling devices.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 11:12 AM   #15

The difference between the 5, 000 and 7,500 may be the mounting bolt pattern . . . I found the bolt pattern on possible replacement jacks (7,500) were to large to fit on our trailer frame . . . .
It may save a bit of work fitting . . Or time lost in return and getting a different size.

Cheers and greetings from a Toronto Canuck
Brandoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 08:05 PM   #16

Perhaps not relevant, but...
On our recently purchased small TT, the manual scissor jacks seemed off center and bent. I took them off and found the "teeth" that keep the two scissor sides in synch were messed up. I re-aligned them and re-installed the stabilizers, and they have been fine since.
Maybe something to check before replacing parts?
Cheers
Daxbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 08:24 PM   #17

A lot depends on how high the trailer is of the ground. Get ones that are the same length when collapsed so the don't stick out past the body. Probably 24 inch lift.
Never extend the jack past about half way. The arms should look like a square.
Overextending past that point makes them weaker. Use plastic blocks or pieces of 2X6 to make up the difference. You shouldn't need more than the 5000lb ones.
Just don't go cheap. Bal, Stromberg Carlson or Lippert.
gw1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 09:48 PM   #18

I bought the Libra brand on Amazon for my TT. They came with everything needed for installation including the drill socket adapter. I’ve had them for about 2 years with no issues. They’re so easy to put up and down with the drill. I bought a cheap drill at Harbor Freight to keep in the trailer so I don’t have to take the one from my garage every time I go camping.
CyndiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 11:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post
Hello everyone, I have a 2014 Rockwood pop up trailer. I am looking to replace all 4 stabilizer scissor jacks. The ones I have are bent and just seem to be out of shape. Is there a brand or a recommended model or anything. I looked on Amazon and found a pair of Peaktow 24” 7,500 lbs (that is probably overkill on weight) for a decent price. Is there anything I should be looking for or will any do provided the weight and size match?

Thanks for any help and input.
Length can be important. If you have ever had to put blocks under your jacks to reach the ground, go with a 30". If not an issue in the past, 24" is good. I'm basically lazy, don't like blocks, replaced all with this one and used the OEM 24" in the center:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I had a pop up, I used the stabilizer jack like this one to change flat tires. Unhitch (keep the chain on), lower the tongue, extend the stabilizer, raise the tongue with the tongue jack, change the tire. I don't know how long or low or heavy your trailer is, but it easily worked with my Coleman.https://www.amazon.com/Dumble-Stabil...0-4513d670b6bc
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 12:19 PM   #20

Throw the stabilizer jacks away and buy 4 screw jacks.

Tags
jacks, stabilizer