Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2021, 11:54 AM   #1

Storing Tent Trailer

We just purchased a new Rockwood Freedom 2716F, and I am thinking about purchasing a cover for the box and wheel covers. We will be storing it outside at a local storage facility.

Any recommendations or general advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
jmo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 12:38 PM   #2

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your new Rockwood Freedom 2716F.

I would suggest a breathable cover as you don't want to trap moisture inside that could lead to mold/mildew. And make sure you critter proof the heck out of it. Vacuum and wipe down everywhere to get every food crumb, then do it again. Look in the cabinet under your sink and you'll probably find a 3" drilled hole to run a 3/4" water pipe. Plug it with stainless steel wool or cooper wool and 'mouse proof' (resistant) foam. You can find either wool at Walmart in the kitchen supply aisle by the sponges. Regular steel wool will eventually rust and deteriorate. Then do the same for every plumbing hose/pipe, electrical wire/cord, etc. Have somebody shine a flashlight along the cabinet floors at night while you get under and see if there is any light getting getting thru anywhere. Mice can get in the smallest holes. Many people also use plain dryer sheets, regular Irish Spring soap shaved and placed in containers all over, Cab fresh, moth balls, etc but I don't want this thread to turn into a debate about that. IMHO baited traps only draw them in, you need to keep the out! If you park it yourself at the storage facility you can sprinkle/spread moth balls on the ground especially where the tires and tongue jack hit the ground.

As we approach winterization time I'm sure others will chime in too with answers.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 04:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo27 View Post
We just purchased a new Rockwood Freedom 2716F, and I am thinking about purchasing a cover for the box and wheel covers. We will be storing it outside at a local storage facility.

Any recommendations or general advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Yes, keep it at home where you can open it and keep an eye on it every so often to catch a water leak early before big troubles. I did on a previous Pop Up in the winter, and found bed and everything soaked. I always did walk through inspections on my travel trailers as well. I'm definitely not for off site storage.

Also many covers will leak through the breathable material so having a cover doesn't do much other than keep dirt and sun off the camper.

I've never used wheel covers, never needed to.

Here's a thread post with activity in the last couple days on rv covers.

Welcome to the forum and nice floorplan, I'm biased.
2024 Black Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude 4WD, 121" WB, 3.6L, 8 speed, Blacked Out Package, 265/50R20 wheels, 6,200# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:04 PM   #4

Confused

I spoke to my dealer, and they do not recommend covering.

Forest River suggests either a Camco or ADCO.

Most of the opinions I have read suggest the pros of using a good quality cover outweigh the cons.

Still not decided, though.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with either Camco or ADCO?
jmo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:15 PM   #5

On our 2318 I use a Classic Accessories PolyPro3 cover.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's worked well so far. It's getting a touch frayed at the bottom of a couple corners but still works fine. No problems at all with mold or mildew and protects the camper from UV damage (my main reason for the cover). I bought in March and keep the camper covered all the time when not in use.
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tent trailer, trailer