RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-11-2018, 10:32 PM   #1

Sub Par QC

Hey Forest River if you are listening take note. I just took delivery of a brand new 2018 Forest River HW29SC. It is a fantastic camper, BUT your attention to detail is a huge gap. I spent the better part of my life as a quailty professional in a fortune 100 company so I understand the definition of quality. When I spend the better part of $20K on a pop up camper I expect near perfection and you totally missed the mark. Allow me to elaborate, the dinet cushions were assembled incorrectly. I would have had to install them with the zipper up for them to work. One of the short side bunk end safety clips does not align with the hole in the slide to lock the bunk end in place. The snaps on the dinet are a joke. According to the DVD provided with the unit it was supposed to come standard with a 20" tv and pedestal, mine did not. One of the safety clips on the outside grill is missing the pin and is just a frayed piece of wire. None of these issues are beyond my abliilty to remedy but the bottom line is I should not have to "FIX" these kinds of items on a new unit.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:31 PM   #2
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bar View Post
Hey Forest River if you are listening take note. I just took delivery of a brand new 2018 Forest River HW29SC. It is a fantastic camper, BUT your attention to detail is a huge gap. I spent the better part of my life as a quailty professional in a fortune 100 company so I understand the definition of quality. When I spend the better part of $20K on a pop up camper I expect near perfection and you totally missed the mark. Allow me to elaborate, the dinet cushions were assembled incorrectly. I would have had to install them with the zipper up for them to work. One of the short side bunk end safety clips does not align with the hole in the slide to lock the bunk end in place. The snaps on the dinet are a joke. According to the DVD provided with the unit it was supposed to come standard with a 20" tv and pedestal, mine did not. One of the safety clips on the outside grill is missing the pin and is just a frayed piece of wire. None of these issues are beyond my abliilty to remedy but the bottom line is I should not have to "FIX" these kinds of items on a new unit.

I spent $32,000 Cdn on mine 4 years ago (new unit, sat 1 year on dealer lot), I lost count of the major and minor issues with the trailer when I went above 25.
My biggest disappointment was the mouse problem, too many poor joints and over-sized holes through to the outside. If I can keep mice out of 14 staff and 17 guest cabins ranging in age of one to seventy years old situated in a 2800 square mile wilderness park then I am sure Forest River can do it in our new RVs built in clean climate controlled buildings!

Quality control is a joke and so are the warranty claims; I had had the TT for 3 months when we found the air mattress in the sofa bed leaked (first time used), we drove 3 hours to the dealer to get several things done but the air mattress was not covered as the manufacturer said its serial number was over a year old and warranty had expired, didn't matter we had only owned it 4 months! The dealer didn't tell me this (not until later when I called them about the patch), we found out ourselves when we tried to use it again, dealer had stuck a patch on it which had fallen off.

At 9 months ownership we noticed (Nov, 2014) I found cold air coming in on the superslide, the top end of the seal wasn't secured like the other side was; while trying to get it sealed (temp was +1c/34F in Temagami) I found a rough 2x2 wood framing lining the edge of the opening, now this is supposedly an aluminum framed TT, I called the factory and was told they don't frame my trailer with wood only aluminum, so I emailed photos, no answer to 2 emails and 3 phone messages, 2 different people tried to tell me there is no wood there! After a month I gave up talking to them about it.

At 3 months I found the reg leaked only when switching tanks, ok when either tank selected, this is one of issues that led to 3 hr drive to dealer a month later.

Tongue jack failed at 6mth, FR replaced it through dealer. 14 months of TT ownership it failed too, same problem as first one, water leaked in through top and rusted gearbox; I replaced it with a Husky).

14 months of ownership, pull into the Liquor Store in North Bay after 4 hour run, do my walk-around which includes patting tyres and hubs (looking for excess heat) left rear felt a little warmer, get out pressure gauge and found 28# hot, hmm, grab wine and booze and we head 3 blocks over to Canadian Tyre where they willingly blew up tyre while we grabbed a few items; got paged to service desk, please come out to trailer, tyre is flat, mechanic bent down and grabbed the valve stem and it came off in his hand; so we wiggled the other three, two broke off. An hour and $40 later all four replaced with metal valves. Of course all the nitrogen leaked out but they didn't recommend reinstalling it. Tyres are coved when parked all the time I've owned the trailer, 14 months, plus 11 months the dealer had it, 25 months and the valve stems had perished!!!

OK, my rant is over (for now).
Sorry I ran off at the mouth, we still enjoy the trailer but my rose coloured glasses are back in the drawer where they had been since the late 1970s.
Just except the fact the manufacturers really don't give a damn.

Geoff

2013 F150 Screw, 6.2L gasser, HDPP, LT tyres, Firestone Air Bags, 250L aux tank.
2013 Rockwood Signature 8310SS

wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:05 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bar View Post
Hey Forest River if you are listening take note.
Since you are new, just want to make sure that you know that this Forum has NO affiliation with Forest River Inc. nor any of their divisions.
There are only 2 or 3 FR employees that are members and they are usually here to help owners of the brand they represent only. They joined on their own volition.
There are no Rockwood/Flagstaff reps that are Forum members.
So it is unlikely anyone at FR is listening, except we owners of FR products.

Did your dealer not do a PDI/walkthrough with you?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote