Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #1

The proper way to "FOLD" up the canvas?

Hello all I have a one year old Palomino Banshee B2 "offroad" Tent trailer.
I have noticed some canvas tearing near each side of the door frame. NOWHERE can I find actual step by step instructions including the "manual" that came with it or the dealer has been no help either on how to fold up the canvass etc which way is the best to fold it etc?

Now of coarse we have "our" way of lowering the roof in stages etc and guessing the way it seems to fold nicely in there but.. IS there actual instructions from the factory that tells you the proper way? Im concerned that even our carefull folding methods are somehow putting undue strain on the attchment points of the canvas as its already tearing only after about 10 uses or so.
My wife noticed 4 vertical Zippers each near the roof raising tubes, She belives that these zippers should be undone and open when folding up the trailer. I cant see how that would help but maybee thats what we are doing wrong. The local dealer just said jam it in as best you can and there is no correct way? I find that hard to belive.

ANY THOUGHTS? pictures, the instuctions to which I am after? My trailer has the goshen style lift with the cable style crank on the toungue and I belive has a similar canvass sides to MOST palomino tent trailers by forest River.

Best Regards,
Ron Y
Delta BC
RONSTAR911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #2

i dont know if there is one set way of doing it but we use to collaps down the ends and slide them in thn start to lower the top down stop at about 2/3s tuck in canvis all the way around lower some more tuck some more then check all the way around just before its all the way down when lowered completly latch and go
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSTAR911 View Post
Hello all I have a one year old Palomino Banshee B2 "offroad" Tent trailer.
I have noticed some canvas tearing near each side of the door frame. NOWHERE can I find actual step by step instructions including the "manual" that came with it or the dealer has been no help either on how to fold up the canvass etc which way is the best to fold it etc?

Now of coarse we have "our" way of lowering the roof in stages etc and guessing the way it seems to fold nicely in there but.. IS there actual instructions from the factory that tells you the proper way? Im concerned that even our carefull folding methods are somehow putting undue strain on the attchment points of the canvas as its already tearing only after about 10 uses or so.
My wife noticed 4 vertical Zippers each near the roof raising tubes, She belives that these zippers should be undone and open when folding up the trailer. I cant see how that would help but maybee thats what we are doing wrong. The local dealer just said jam it in as best you can and there is no correct way? I find that hard to belive.

ANY THOUGHTS? pictures, the instuctions to which I am after? My trailer has the goshen style lift with the cable style crank on the toungue and I belive has a similar canvass sides to MOST palomino tent trailers by forest River.

Best Regards,
Ron Y
Delta BC
we had a 97 palamino pinto for years and although there weren't any printed instructions ( i also wondered why not ) the dealer showed us exactly how to fold everything away! our raising tubes had canvas flaps that you folded over and it attached with velcro to hide the tubes - yours sounds like the same idea but attaches with zippers. When folding up the trailer our flaps DEFINATELY had to be "unvelcroed" and placed behind the tube so the tube could retract. ( on our trailer there were 2 safety channels that manually slipped over the tubes that prevented the roof from crashing down if the winch/cable broke - could be different these days)
before starting to fold down make sure the safety canvas flaps inside under the beds are unsnapped (yours may be different) Then i would untuck the canvas around the beds on the outside of the trailer. Then push the beds into the trailer and fold all the excess canvas as neatly as you can. Then lower the roof about to about a foot and walk around and push all the canvas in - again as neat as you can. then fold down to about 2 or 3 inches and walk around again to double check that all the canvas is inside (watch those diamond rings cause they love to snag those screens ) Now crank the trailer down as far as it will go, at this point on our trailer i would have to physically push the roof down on the 4 corners to get the canvas to completely fold enough to get the roof latches to hook.
I cant believe a dealer wouldnt take the time to show the proper way to fold/unfold this trailer!!!!!!!!!!!!
we had our trailer for 12 years and enjoyed the many trips we had with it, but we finally outgrew it. It was still mint when we sold it!
After all those years we had the set up and fold up down to a science
07 kawasaki brute force 650i

Wildwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #4

Thanks!

Yes thats is the same method we use now. we also have velro covers for the roof mechanism but then have zippers next to them. it sort of seperated the sides from the ends. In doing more research today I found a 1997 palomino manual that does explain it! it definitly says unzip these ends which we were NOt doing before. Thanks for all the responses.

As for the dealer ther is only ONE in a hundreds of miles and they ended up being miffed at us! I have repaired all the factory defects and loose objects Missaligned parts etc. because they will not extend Palominos warranty to us because we were second owners!
Basically we ordered a Brand new 2009 from them but they did not have stock. they PROMISED to have it delivered in time for our camping trip Months go by and still no trailer. Three weeks before our month long trip with a New tow vehical and a trailer that has never been tried we find out it still had not left the manufacture!. I was livid! $13,0000 and it looked like we would be without a trailer for our trip. Just So happened that someone who had purchased FROM THEM about four months earlier did not like it for one reason or another put it up for sale on C/L I drove out 150 miles that night and bought it for 3000 bucks less than the dealer had it for. Well I cancled the order and lost my deposit as well. then when I showed up there with it they would not even give me the time of day! No help no instructions no nothing! ANd NO WARRANTY. even though this unit was purchased from them months earlier! Some service huh!?
Luckily Im a service tech and electrical guru and have now completly modifed and repaired all the poor workmanship and weak items I found on this beautiful but NEW trailer.
Im off the soapbox now so again thanks everyone!.

PS Posted some pics under my username. Take A LOOK AT "the beast" LOL
RONSTAR911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:07 PM   #5

Un zipping relieves the stress points when folding the canvas
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #6

Recently bought 2011 banshee B5, included was a dvd on raising and lowering. The DVD showed the zippers being undone before lowering.
rmcnamara2 is offline   Reply With Quote