RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-23-2017, 03:43 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
Skip the pop-up and go straight to the travel trailer.

That's what I would recommend a couple at our church went with the very small unit and in no time at all now have bought a travel trailer.

M-Bob
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
Skip the pop-up and go straight to the travel trailer.
skip the travel trailer and go straight to the class c motor home.
skip the class c and go straight to the class a.
skip the class a and go straight to the 5th wheel...........
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc View Post
skip the travel trailer and go straight to the class c motor home.
skip the class c and go straight to the class a.
skip the class a and go straight to the 5th wheel...........
Come on -- that's taking it a little too far.
Small travel trailers don't cost much.
M-Bob
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
M-Bob
OK....sorry, I was trying to make the point that what works for one may not work for another. Perhaps that was a stretch though.
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:32 PM   #25

I see it as one of those deals you know what you can handle. For us the pop-up definitely had it's place. Without it I probably would have never gotten into camping near as much. I didn't have a big vehicle to tow it with and didn't know how much we'd use it.

We had our last pop-up for over 10 years. I paid $8000 and sold it for $4500. We had a lot of good memories and the younger kids ( and my wife) cried when we sold it.

Now we have bigger kids and I needed less stress and work. Moving to the bumper pull now was the best choice for us now. In the future, maybe I'll go back but for now it's what works for us.

Just buy what you think is the best.. we will all have good solid reasons for doing what we did (at least in our own minds). Do what seems right and you'll figure it out from there.

Just know what you're getting into.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:43 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
M-Bob
The problem is that the OP started this thread, in the Tent Camper/Popup section, not in the General Community Discussion section.

So just telling the OP to forget about a popup, doesn't say why or if you've ever owned one.

We had two popups over a 15 year period and were very happy with them.
Back then we hated "shoebox" travel trailers.
Popups are great and affordable RVs for young families to start with.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:45 PM   #27

Congratulations! We had a pop-up camper for years when the kids were young. They are easy to tow and will fit on most any campsite. Our kids have many fun memories growing up camping in our pop-up camper. Enjoy yours when you get it!
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:57 PM   #28

I would try it out first before getting AC installed. If you are traveling through the southwest US that is all desert and ridiculously hot in the summer, maybe you will want AC to cool off during the day. However, pop ups have great air circulation because of the huge windows on all sides. We have found it to be quite pleasant sitting inside ours with the sides zipped down. Any little breeze will blow straight through and moderate the temperature.

One weekend we camped next to a lake in NE Colorado and it was well into the 90s but breezy. It felt comfortable in and next to our PUP even during the heat of the day. We spent the day listening to generators running next to all of the nearby TTs who couldnít handle it without their AC running all day and well into the evening.
Myron625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron625 View Post
I would try it out first before getting AC installed. If you are traveling through the southwest US that is all desert and ridiculously hot in the summer, maybe you will want AC to cool off during the day. However, pop ups have great air circulation because of the huge windows on all sides. We have found it to be quite pleasant sitting inside ours with the sides zipped down. Any little breeze will blow straight through and moderate the temperature.

One weekend we camped next to a lake in NE Colorado and it was well into the 90s but breezy. It felt comfortable in and next to our PUP even during the heat of the day. We spent the day listening to generators running next to all of the nearby TTs who couldnít handle it without their AC running all day and well into the evening.
Agree with the above. We had 2 pop-ups over a period of 12 years; both without A/C. In most areas where we camped, the openness of the PUP combined with reasonable temps at night made it quite pleasant to sleep in without A/C. Our preference was for well-shaded sites at public parks; the shade does make a difference.

We changed to an A-frame to get faster setup and take-down, while still retaining towing by a minivan and garage storage. The A-frame does have windows on all 4 sides, although only the side windows open. In combination with the roof fan on low, the side windows do a great job until the temps get above 90. Then we do need/really want electrical and the standard A/C. In Colorado and Texas, finding well-shaded sites isn't as easy as it is on the East and West Coasts.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
2000 Coleman Westlake PUP
1986 Coachmen PUP
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:31 PM   #30

Pop ups are awesome.

When the windows are open, it's like a screen room. Hard to get any nicer to sit in and see nature all around you.

Easy to store in a garage which may or may not be an amazing money saver.

I never pop it up before I take it somewhere. You can open the little door and slide a tub or cooler in with food without popping it up if need be. Most of the other storage has outside access.

You'll love the ac. Helps dry out the inside on rainy trips.

You'd have to get a big travel trailer to get so much nice bed space.

Single axles are easy to level if you buy the leveling jack that cradles a tire. Tires and bearing jobs are cheaper.

The drawbacks have been mentioned.

The biggest one is having to pop it up at home to dry out. If it's dry when you put it down at the campground, no need, but if it's even moist you'll want it popped up. I use the opportunity to do a more thorough cleaning or work on something I didn't want to do at the campground. It can be a pain.

It does take an extra 20-30 min up set up and take down time. That's annoying on really hot days, but these new ones are awesome. Electric winch motors and supports that don't require you to crawl under a bed have made it relatively easy. I don't let myself have a beer till it's up. That speeds me up!

Great choice! Congrats Ckwoods14!!
Old 08-27-2017, 08:11 PM   #31

Congrats on the new popup. One thing that doesn't seem to have been mentioned, at least from the perspective of taking longer trips, is the gas mileage and how that helps make up for the set up time. One extra gas stop because of lower mileage when towing a larger trailer more than equals the time to set up upon arrival with the popup. Enjoy the new trailer.

Metadifluoro

2015 Rockwood 2318G
TV: 2011 Toyota Sienna LE
Metadifluoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:27 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckwoods14 View Post
Hello everyone! I saw a 2017 rockwood premier 2514G at a local rv dealer and was wondering what people think of those. Has the dinette pop out and a bay window pop out. I would also have the dealer add A/C as well.
Sounds wonderful! Just the options I would want in a pop up. Don't let anyone fool you. We have had tents, a pop up, and a travel trailer. All require set up and tear down time. Pop ups fit well on even the smallest site. It takes our trailer time to cool down, but a pop up won't take as long. I have fond memories of pop up camping with our kids. I would still like pop up camping if I didn't get up too many times during the night to use the bathroom and if we didn't live in Florida. There is nothing like having all the windows open or having rain on the canvas. I didn't like having wet bedding, though. If the blankets, sheets, or pillow gets up against the canvas they will get wet. I say purchase your pop up and get out there and enjoy it!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:56 PM   #33

Hi everyone! Thank you for all your comments! My 2516G is almost ready, I did the walk around 8/26 and they didn't install the a/c yet, also the roof electric fan didn't work, and I'm having them install a battery disconnect at the same time the furnace screen they are throwing in the deal. Should all be done on sept 8.
Ckwoods14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:47 PM   #34

I just wanted to close this by showing a pic of my purchase Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1413.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	361.5 KB
ID:	152872Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1415.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	397.4 KB
ID:	152873
Ckwoods14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:03 PM   #35

Looks pretty shiney and new! Congratulations.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #36

Nice, I think I might try to talk my wife into getting another popup someday. I still want to keep the 5th Wheel but it would be kinda nice to go back to where we started. Had good times in the popup. Was very comfy for us.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:46 PM   #37

I have the same camper but itís a 2014. We love it. I bet you guys are going to love it too. Thatís a great camper. Congratulations!
Bhugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:24 PM   #38

Looks very nice! Hope you enjoy it for many years!
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:35 PM   #39

Congratulations! And welcome to the family.

11 Nights in California so far.

LilHorse&buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #40

One thing I will mention.. take some tie straps with you. Those awnings are nice but a little bit of wind will rip them out of the side of your camper. Also, I hate when people say "buy a hard wall" or TT, etc.. There are positives and negatives to all units.. Pop ups are easier to clean, winterize, maintain, tow, store, and park. They are more open, easier to go dry camping with.. and if you end up at a place with no sewage.. you can pull the black tank and empty in a toilet somewhere. I also loathe the fact that larger campers have you hauling/parking like 6-7 feet of space for a master bedroom.. I feel that is such a waste of space. Now I will say I'm currently looking at a hybrid, but I love my pop up and if it doesn't sell, I'll gladly keep it and use it with zero issues. In my camping experiences most people think bigger/better.. but I don't see it that way. I watched a guy take almost 45 minutes to back in a tri-axle RV.. it was huge.. everyone ooh'd aww'd.. and after like 4 hours he was setup. No thanks. Enjoy your pop up!

Tags
pop up