Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2024, 06:48 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestGump34DS View Post
With prices of everything increasing over the last 3 years....why be surprised that CG's are costing more??? ALL of their operating costs have gone up, employee pay, utilities, taxes, infrastructure, maintenance, advertising, fuel, etc. People have choices....use them....and don't forget to vote in November !!!
Their costs have gone up, but not the 30 percent a year they are raising their prices. Even state and national parks that were $15 a night are now $35 with no hookups. They are pricing themselves out of business, sooner or later people will say enough is enough and quit going.
Jcape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 06:56 AM   #42
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcape View Post
Their costs have gone up, but not the 30 percent a year they are raising their prices. Even state and national parks that were $15 a night are now $35 with no hookups. They are pricing themselves out of business, sooner or later people will say enough is enough and quit going.
It might be just me but I don't think this is going to happen anytime soon. I just saw a Yogi Bear Jellystone Park change hands and they expanded to include cabin rentals (aka trailers). Those "cabins" are priced at $400 a night and there's a waiting list for cancellations.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 07:52 AM   #43

A few years back my wife worked for Stanley Furniture (Furniture manufacturer).

They had to stop paying for spouse's insurance as it cost them as much as they paid for wood for furniture.

Campground, paying for taxes and 300 Plus summer employees, upkeep and let alone everything else has to charge.

Don't like it but......... the options aren't great for us...

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 07:55 AM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
Big secret that most popular campgrounds dont want you to know....they make a FORTUNE on sites. Owning a RV Campground is VERY profitable.

If your tired of paying the prices, do what my buddy did...he bought a campground, had it renovated, now he is the one getting $120/night in his pocket.

He tells me its the most profitable business he's owned.

--John
I've always heard the exact opposite. Heard someone once say the best way to have a million dollars in your account when you're a campground owner is to start with 2 million.

Many of the local campgrounds around me that were owned privately keep getting bought up by bigger corporations. If they were really making that much money, why are they all selling?
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 08:23 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I've always heard the exact opposite. Heard someone once say the best way to have a million dollars in your account when you're a campground owner is to start with 2 million.

Many of the local campgrounds around me that were owned privately keep getting bought up by bigger corporations. If they were really making that much money, why are they all selling?
I have heard the same as you. There are a few exceptions. But the private owner exceptions usually started years ago and already owned the land. or as you said started out with millions.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 04-02-2024, 08:42 AM   #46

Don't rule out county fairgrounds campgrounds. We've stayed at some pretty nice ones. Pretty cheap too.

If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go where they went.

Will Rogers
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 08:59 AM   #47

I will reiterate what has been touched upon previously. As long as there are people willing to pay ridiculously exorbitant prices for an elective excursion at a place to use their camping equipment, facility prices will continue to increase. We've watched the incredible escalation of prices to attend everything from concert/stage show tickets, to sporting event tickets, to hotel/motel pricing and just about all other elective expenditures. Keep paying and it'll continue to become more and more unaffordable. We've eliminated all of those forms of entertainment from our plans. Not because we can't find the resources to attend but rather that the entertainment value does not live up to the price of admission. To put it plain, we can't have that much fun.

We have no particular interest in doing a multi-thousand mile cross country trip so we have been able to use nothing but state parks and COE camping facilities within 7 to 8 hours from home for the past 6 or 7 years. Those facilities are beautiful and well maintained and we are very happy returning just about every summer. However, if and when those facilities become outrageously expensive we'll reexamine those plans, as well. $1,000.00 is beyond insane. The only thing more insane is the fact that people pay it. Everyone's priorities and limitations regarding how they spend their disposable resources are different thus we have no complaints as to how inordinate prices are but we also don't have to participate, either.
Rockwood Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 09:39 AM   #48
ARLO

We don't go to Florida for the winter. We don't do cruises. an inexpensive cruise is more than$2000 per person for a match box size state room. We don't take expensive vacations. We don't go to the Bahamas. We are the type who enjoy camping and all of the amenities provided by the nicer campgrounds. We go away for two months to a camping resort on Lake Ontario. nice site, full hook-ups, 50A service, cable TV beautiful view of the lake, lunch/snack bar 100 yds away, planned activities, large sand beach, 3 pools, water aerobics daily. Many local attractions, great restaurants, car shows, live entertainment on the weekends.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 10:50 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
Don't rule out county fairgrounds campgrounds. We've stayed at some pretty nice ones. Pretty cheap too.
X2 but how do you know what counties have fairgrounds or allow camping. None in our counties near here. But we do not have county fairs either.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 04-02-2024, 11:24 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
X2 but how do you know what counties have fairgrounds or allow camping. None in our counties near here. But we do not have county fairs either.

I just do an internet search when I have some idea where I am going to stop for the night. Many have on line reservations and are open for camping even when the fair isn't going on.

Will Rogers
Old 04-02-2024, 12:36 PM   #51

Quote:
I just do an internet search when I have some idea where I am going to stop for the night. Many have on line reservations and are open for camping even when the fair isn't going on.
Both Illinois State Fair venue's in Springfield & Du Quoin allow camping while the fairs are not going on. Although Springfield is not all that attractive for non-State Fair camping, Du Quoin on the other hand is a very nice facility. Both are very modestly priced during non-fair time.
Rockwood Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 12:40 PM   #52

Quote:
Thanks

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 04-02-2024, 12:52 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood Travelers View Post
Both Illinois State Fair venue's in Springfield & Du Quoin allow camping while the fairs are not going on. Although Springfield is not all that attractive for non-State Fair camping, Du Quoin on the other hand is a very nice facility. Both are very modestly priced during non-fair time.
I've stayed at Springfield. Not terrible but theres better. Mercer County Fairgrounds in Celina, OH is a real nice place. The campsites are in a park like setting.

Will Rogers
Old 04-02-2024, 01:28 PM   #54
D W

We'll just continue to support our State Parks and leave the Private and NP's to the tourists.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 04:40 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
We use National Parks and have a Senior Pass. Likewise, the state parks are great, have electricity and water at the sites, and all for under $30/night. Corps of Engineers parks are equally as nice and economical.

We avoid the commercial sites.

Bob
Bob, some of the Ohio State Parks have full hook ups and all the other sites have electric hook up.
Stevevermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 05:35 PM   #56

I don't know about elsewhere in the country; however, up here in the Northeast we have seen many campgrounds over the last few years being taken over by either large conglomerates, or management groups out of places such as California. The first three things they do after taking over is to at least triple the nightly rates and camp store prices, impose additional "space reservation fees", and pare down the campground workforce to the bare minimum. There are still some good family owned and managed campgrounds who don't buy into corporate greed and are not cluster camping, but are becoming harder to get into. If people refuse to camp at these overpriced campgrounds, something will have to change if they want to remain in business. (Unless they want the campground to go under so that they can raze it and build million dollar+ condos on the land).
Old 04-02-2024, 09:08 PM   #57

make sure you vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestGump34DS View Post
With prices of everything increasing over the last 3 years....why be surprised that CG's are costing more??? ALL of their operating costs have gone up, employee pay, utilities, taxes, infrastructure, maintenance, advertising, fuel, etc. People have choices....use them....and don't forget to vote in November !!!
I personally hate to see politics involved in a forum like this just seems to be everywhere these days. If you’re going to vote based on your personal economic concerns then you should consider the following:
“While countries around the world have struggled to recover from the economic setbacks brought on by the pandemic, one has emerged particularly strong.
With a fast-growing economy, a strong labour market and falling inflation, the US has outpaced its counterparts in Europe and elsewhere.
In terms of GDP, it posted a 3.3% gain in the fourth quarter of 2023, far exceeding economists' expectations of 2%.
That put the US at 2.5% over the course of the year, outpacing all other advanced economies and on track to do so again in 2024.”
Papadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 09:19 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papadave View Post
I personally hate to see politics involved in a forum like this just seems to be everywhere these days. If you’re going to vote based on your personal economic concerns then you should consider the following:
“While countries around the world have struggled to recover from the economic setbacks brought on by the pandemic, one has emerged particularly strong.
With a fast-growing economy, a strong labour market and falling inflation, the US has outpaced its counterparts in Europe and elsewhere.
In terms of GDP, it posted a 3.3% gain in the fourth quarter of 2023, far exceeding economists' expectations of 2%.
That put the US at 2.5% over the course of the year, outpacing all other advanced economies and on track to do so again in 2024.”
x2

Will Rogers

Tags
campground, hose, mpg