Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 06:16 PM   #21

Thank you tireman9. I'm glad I posted this, I have learned a lot in a day. My plan is to step up next spring. How can you have tpm on a popup camper tires. Or and trailer tires. Is this programmable on the tow vehicle?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
ESDSKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:59 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESDSKeith View Post
Yes. 80 psi. Had to replace one when new, was going flat. Had a plug. Hmnn. Think from when it was being transported, must have been plugged. Dealer couldn't find a 80lb. Match
Now i have 2 different tires . Need you get 3 good tires. Any recommendations?. I'm planning on getting a Roo this winter, but need to be safe rest of summer.

What Load Range (inflation) is shown on your Certification label (tire placard). Did the dealer show you the placard during initial walk through?

IMO if the dealer delivered the RV with the incorrect tires as specified he owes you a new tire.
A plug repair is specifically NOT APPROVED by any tire mfg I know of and is NOT APPROVED by DOT so the RV dealer delivered a potentially unsafe tire and a complaint should be issued to NHTSA against the RV dealer and you should contact the RV company and advise them of the dealers actions. If you had a tire failure and accident the only question would be how many zeros would come after the dollar sign and number as it would be impossible to defend against this practice.

If you bought a new car or truck would you be willing to accept a rebuilt engine in it?
How about having used brake pads installed in a new vehicle.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:05 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Quote:
Thank you tireman9. I'm glad I posted this, I have learned a lot in a day. My plan is to step up next spring. How can you have tpm on a popup camper tires. Or and trailer tires. Is this programmable on the tow vehicle?

External aftermarket TPMS can be installed on any tire. If you only need on a TT with two tires I may be able to put you in touch with a dealer who will reduce the price for only 2 sensors as normal is 4.

The reading is on a dash mounted, battery operated (rechargeable) monitor.

There are a number of brands but I prefer one with Lifetime warranty.

HERE is blog post on how to select the "Best TPMS' for your situation.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 06-01-2016, 10:58 PM   #24

Tire blow out

We had a tire blow out Memorial Day weekend. We bought our camper new last year. We were lucky no damage to the camper. We didn't even realize it blew out until we were backing into our driveway. Not sure how long we drove on only 3 tires. Now we are researching if we should change all tires to another brand. We are not hearing anything good about the Wakefield Super ST tires it came with. Does anyone know about these tires ? We only drove an hour and 40 min on the highway and stayed 60 to 65 MPH. Doesn't seem year old tires should have a side blow out so soon.
rollingroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:24 PM   #25
clr

If you ran on three wheels for any length of time you have also damaged the other tire on the side with the blow out. That tire was caring the total weight of the camper on that side of the unit, and was overloaded. It will only be a short time until the damaged tire also fails, so you might as well go ahead and replace that tire also.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:28 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingroo View Post
We had a tire blow out Memorial Day weekend. We bought our camper new last year. We were lucky no damage to the camper. We didn't even realize it blew out until we were backing into our driveway. Not sure how long we drove on only 3 tires. Now we are researching if we should change all tires to another brand. We are not hearing anything good about the Wakefield Super ST tires it came with. Does anyone know about these tires ? We only drove an hour and 40 min on the highway and stayed 60 to 65 MPH. Doesn't seem year old tires should have a side blow out so soon.
Can you post a few pictures? It would help me understand the tire condition and may provide clue as to why you had a failure.

Before you change all the tires you should ask yourself this question. If the failure was due to a puncture or leaking valve would you consider the failure the fault of the tire?

Have you ever weighed the RV and made an effort to confirm that none of the tires were overloaded? You do realize that multi axle trailers seldome have the load split evenly between axles and also seldom split evenly side to side.

HERE is link with info and worksheet on how to learn the real load on each tire.
More general weight info HERE
Old 06-02-2016, 07:31 AM   #27

We did hit a large pot hole the week before but it didn't appear to do any damage. We thought of checking the weight. But not sure where to do this? Looking at the tires they never really looked like brand new tires .
Old 06-02-2016, 10:53 AM   #28
Commercial Member

Pothole not blowout

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingroo View Post
We did hit a large pot hole the week before but it didn't appear to do any damage. We thought of checking the weight. But not sure where to do this? Looking at the tires they never really looked like brand new tires .
NOTE. I may have forum post and tire condition confused. I received pictures in email but no sender name. Also incorrect claim of "blowout" which is an ongoing problem. This is like telling police the man is dead but there is a difference between being shot and having a heart attack.
Terminology and accuracy does make a difference if you are trying to solve a puzzle. Many times all I get is a puzzle box, with many pieces missing and sometimes the description of the puzzle scene "a tall object" doesn't reflect if the puzzle is about a tall tree or tall mountain. There is a picture in one thread I am monitoring with a tire with large baseball size sidewall blister. So maybe not this post but the suspected cause is still impact and this is based on evidence observed in the attached picture

Where to weigh See links in my previous post.

Tire damage
Thanks for the picture. I attached a copy.
Failure. Now we get the rest of the story. When you hit a pothole the body cords are subject to "shock" loading and just as you can snap a 10# fishing line with a 5# fish you can also break the body cord. Higher speed can definitely increase the potential for a shock impact break. Sometimes this does not immediately break through the outer sidewall

It may bend the rim, or may just leave a mark as seen in your picture. In a perfect storm the broken body cord may allow internal air to seep into the tire structure and "inflate" the sidewall with a blister similar to this.

I have also attached a shot "Case #2" from one of my seminars on tire failures with examples of observed conditions.

None of the above are "Blowouts". They aren't even a tire defect. Impact breaks are the result of a combination of variables of Load, Inflation, Speed and the size, depth and even shape of the pothole or trash on the road.

I would consider yourself lucky and get a new tire. Maybe slow down a bit too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Impact.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	109862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Impact cause.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	109867  
Old 06-02-2016, 11:30 AM   #29
Commercial Member

Not a blowout

OK what we see here is a thread spinning out of control because of "A failure to communicate"

I need to VENT

The OP has a Tread Separation which is not a blowout.

Rather than start a new thread, which I understand RollingRoo had a failure that was not discovered till he got home. I asked for pictures and received shots of a tire with Impact damage, from an unnamed source via email. Then there was additional important information about hitting a pothole from Rolling. This is what I believe happens with many people who have tire failure. If the tire doesn't immediately come apart they seem to forget or erase the memory of hitting a pothole or driving under-inflated etc etc.

I am trying to offer help here and on a few other threads but am getting frustrated. Either insufficient information is provided or people insist that they have never hit a pothole in their life. At least RollinRoo told me about the pothole.

I have no idea what the ref about WitchDoc is about. I don't think he has even posted on this thread.

OK I feel a bit better. I'm off for a while to mow the lawn and do stuff I have been putting off too long.

The general discussion and confusion may now continue.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman53 View Post
Chinese bombs from the factory. Maxxis m8008 is the cure. I speak from the experience of owning two fthwheels w/ no blowouts while traveling nationwide.
X2. Maxxis or GY Marathon's. Replace all your tires: Bump up one load rating, use metal valve stems, have them spin balanced to 65MPH (the max speed of any trailer tire) and strongly recommend you invest in a TST 507 Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:45 PM   #31

Tire blow out.

I bought 4 of these and ran them for 250 miles and so far so good. They are Chinese and I am starting to get concerned. My tt called for a load c and these are load d so I hope that I should be ok since I am under stressing them and I tow about 5000lbs loaded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:48 PM   #32
Commercial Member

OldCoot.

OK. I was getting rather frustrated there.

Can you let me know what you need to know. I posted a few pictures that show wheel damage, evidence of impact and the results of a tire hitting some object. Sometimes tires go into a pothole and "hit" the opposite side of the hole after dropping part way into the hole. Tires can also hit road trash. I think we have all seen a variety of stuff from mufflers to brake shoes to 4x4 lumber.
Sometimes the object being hit has a sharp edge that can cut the tire. Other times the rapid impact can simply over-deflect the tire as it tries to mold itself around the object.
Sometime the tire manages to bend in the milliseconds allowed by the vehicle speed. Other times the tire can't move/bend fast enough.

Shock Load. Think of entering a swimming pool. You can walk in down the steps. You can jump in from side of the pool or you can jump off a high diving board. Each of the above are at a different speed. The faster you enter the less likely it is for the water to move and mold itself to your body. Fast enough and you might even kill yourself. Clearly speed is a significant factor.

Need more?
Old 06-02-2016, 05:02 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post
snip
I bought 4 of these and ran them for 250 miles and so far so good. They are Chinese and I am starting to get concerned. My tt called for a load c and these are load d so I hope that I should be ok since I am under stressing them and I tow about 5000lbs loaded

You said nothing about your inflation pressure. ST205/75R15 LR-C are rated 1,820#max @ 50 psi and 2,150# @ 65.

Wonder how you know your weight is 5,000# on the 4 tires. DO you have a weight slip?
Very few RVs are 50/50 axle to axle split and also very few axles are 50/50 side to side.
Many are more like 47/53 or even 45/55 so it is possible that one tire has 5,000 x .55 x .55 or one tire at 1,512#.

250 miles is not a real evaluation. The tires are really just broken in.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:12 PM   #34

Wow, didn't know my post would roll like this. Very interesting. So what did my tire do? I'm sure I've hit things, nothing I was aware of when this happened.

ESDSKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:31 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
You said nothing about your inflation pressure. ST205/75R15 LR-C are rated 1,820#max @ 50 psi and 2,150# @ 65.

Wonder how you know your weight is 5,000# on the 4 tires. DO you have a weight slip?
Very few RVs are 50/50 axle to axle split and also very few axles are 50/50 side to side.
Many are more like 47/53 or even 45/55 so it is possible that one tire has 5,000 x .55 x .55 or one tire at 1,512#.

250 miles is not a real evaluation. The tires are really just broken in.
Tireman: He said he bought 4 of these, so I would "assume" that if he's pulling 5000 lbs, then each should be supporting 1250 lbs, ignoring any weight split. I would hope any weight split he has wouldn't take him over the 1820 lbs at 50 psi (or the 2150 lbs at 65 psi). That would be quite a split if it does.

Also, as I've mentioned before, most RV owners have NO CLUE what's happened to their tires before they drove it off the dealers lot. Just today I was behind a guy with a TT on a flat bed, pulling another TT. He was doing at least 72 mph (probably for the last 250 miles from Indiana!). So if you bought the TT on the flatbed, lucky you. But if you bought the one being towed, NOT so lucky you!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:40 PM   #36
Commercial Member

Quote:
Wow, didn't know my post would roll like this. Very interesting. So what did my tire do? I'm sure I've hit things, nothing I was aware of when this happened.

Need better pictures. Full sunlight is best. Good camera with sharp focus (4MP or better and close enough for only 1/2 tire per picture.
Big area of concern would be about 6 - 9 oclock as seen in your original picture.
May be best to email pictures direct to me rather than posting as Forum cuts quality down.
I can post result of my "inspection" if you like.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:20 AM   #37
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Tireman: He said he bought 4 of these, so I would "assume" that if he's pulling 5000 lbs, then each should be supporting 1250 lbs, ignoring any weight split. I would hope any weight split he has wouldn't take him over the 1820 lbs at 50 psi (or the 2150 lbs at 65 psi). That would be quite a split if it does.
I'm running much higher weights, but I saw up to a 500 lb. split between tires.

I can't imagine a lighter unit would see a such a swing, but it can be pretty surprising how far of difference that there can be. Especially when you don't see it by weighing the axles. I only saw it when I did the individual wheel weights with Escapees.

Escapees SmartWeigh
Old 06-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #38

There is always going to be different weights on each tire. What rockfordroo was trying to point out is that the poster has A LOT of leeway to absorb the difference. Enough to absorb even a 500 lb difference and and still have a good leeway after that. Tireman needs to get a grip sometimes and recognize the obvious before writing what I deemed to be a derogatory post.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #39

I need a pice of mind though and hopefully I can find it here . My trailer recommends load C tires and I put load D and I tow about 5000 lbs. should I be safe ?? These are the tires I bought , se below

mrpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:12 PM   #40

No one can say for sure what any tire will do. Be it for a car, truck or trailer. When I start seeing multiple trailers strewn along roadside maybe I would worry a little bit. So far in 22,000 towing miles on my two sets of China tires I have seen 3 trailers along the highway with flat tires. If China tires were really so bad the RV industry would not be allowed to sell them. Maybe you or I will get a flat tomorrow, who knows, but I am not going to fret over it. Upgrading load range (like you did) is the best thing you can do in my opinion.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire