Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2017, 04:41 PM   #21

In California the speed limit with a trailer is 55 and tho I'm continually passed by other trailers doing 70+ I'm good
I get there just fine
And tickets for speeding with a trailer are very expensive!
I had a blowout on my Roo a few years back but it wasn't a big deal
A general rule of thumb with trailer tires is to replace every 5 years and get good ones ! That damage looked nasty
Good luck and drive careful out there
stonefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefly View Post
In California the speed limit with a trailer is 55 and tho I'm continually passed by other trailers doing 70+ I'm good
Yep...I am in CA too. The kinetic energy increase from a tire blowing up at 70 vs 50 is huge...basically double! I had two blowouts on a trip with my boat trailer and it severely bent a solid metal fender. Couldn't even imagine how bad it would be at 70 MPH.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnowjoke View Post
I guess I learn something new every day! I generally set the cruise control at 65-70, and hit 75 to pass. I never did see a speed limitation on the tires, just a psi limit. I live in Utah, and have taken many road trips out to the Oregon Coast, Yosemite, Moab, Yellowstone etc., over the years driving at these speeds, this is the first time a flat has reared it's ugly head.

Just curious, but are you aware that the max speed for towing trailers in CA is 55 mph? I know, everyone is going 75-80 but you'd think that between the cost of tickets and tires it would be worth it to slow down. Oregon and Utah limits are 65 and you have to stay in the right lane.

A bit of an anomaly is here in WA State (and perhaps others) is that as long as you have the minimum number of passengers in your vehicle you can use the HOV lanes even if towing a trailer.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:19 PM   #24
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
I personally have NEVER tightened a lug with a torque wrench.

Since I lost a wheel going down the road on a previous trailer - rest assured that I ALWAYS use a torque wrench to assure 100 pound of torque.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:59 PM   #25

I also had a blowout.

I had a blowout on my 2016 Spatan 1032 fifth wheel. We were only three miles from home. I checked the air pressure before I left. They were at the recommended tire pressure. I was only doing fifty mph. The tires only had around 1200 miles on them. They were Towmax Power Kings. (ST235/80R16. I ended up replacing them with Tow-Masters ASC ST235/80R16 14 ply. It damaged my fender skirting. I would like to fix it myself and have the insurance pay for the parts. Where can I get the parts. The tire store also told me that two of the other tires were coming apart. These tires are junk. I have more camping trips planned so I don't want to take it to a dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1691.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	362.0 KB
ID:	149520  
Old 08-24-2017, 06:38 PM   #26

I've seen video of trailers crashing literally losing control and flipping over because of speed
Not good[emoji15]
stonefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan4 View Post
I ended up replacing them with Tow-Masters ASC ST235/80R16 14 ply.
I hate to tell you this but I had 2 Towmasters 15" tires blow out on my boat trailer a few years ago. I had good luck in the past with Towmasters while they were made in the USA but these Chinese ones are a different story. Just so you know, I jack up my trailer in the offseason and these tires were only 3 years old with a LOT of weight margin and proper inflation.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
ST trailer tires are typically speed rated for 65MPH.
Thanks. She's all fixed-up and I was able to get some ST Towmax STR II's on it. They have an "L" speed rating, rated to 75 mph. I rarely go over 70, but it's nice to know that 65 is not the absolute upper-limit.

I learned this lesson the hard way, thankfully there was nothing more damaged than my trailer. I'm actually impressed at how manageable the blowout was in my lifted jeep.
itsnowjoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, wiring