Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2020, 11:35 PM   #1

Toilet/Shower lid removal??

We are camping more as a family now and using the bathroom more. When I camped more by myself, I didn't need to use the shower curtain for privacy like we do now. We are also using the lid to throw all of our towels on. Since the towel bar intruded so much, I took it off. Even so, just no room for my wide shoulders as I am just not fitting. And my petite wife says it's even cramped.

I did find the lid doesn't go straight up when the strut is pushing it. It hits the bed slide rail and angles into the shower area a bit. Even more so when I noticed the 1" X 1" support the hinge is screwed to isn't tall enough. This allowed the hinged to bend at the top from the force of the strut, and angle the lid even more so in the shower area. If Forest River would had just used a larger support this wouldn't had been an issue. Plus if they would had used a larger support as 2" X 2", the lid wouldn't angle into the shower from pivoting off of the bed slide rail at all, it would be straight up and down.

To fix the hinge from bending at the top, since it has no wood support there as the support is actually to small as I said, I needed a piece of wood 7/8" from front to back and about 1/2" from top to bottom. I don't have the tools to make it, so the closest I could find was a 7/8" diameter, 36" long dowel rod. I cut down it's length to 29" and it worked perfect. Hinge doesn't bend at the top anymore. I'll use some light duty velcro to hold it to the original 1"x1" support as it's pressed fit already holds it in pretty good.

Even so, the lid still angles in and I think I just may take the lid completely off as the thick and dark shower curtain I bought doesn't allow light to bleed through plus along with the camper window curtain, provides good privacy from shadows.

I'm also going to buy an outside clothes rack to dry the towels on. That will free up a lot of space and no longer need the lid to dry them on.

We use the toilet as a normal toilet so the lid would never get used as a counter top.

Any one done this and any negatives to it?? Seems like it will provide at least another 10" of shoulder room.
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show, shower