Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2018, 01:12 PM   #1

Too much wind. When to crank down?

Just wondering what the rule of thumb is for wind? When is it time to crank down? Any wind stories? I know my trailer weighs enough that blowing over isn’t likely, but I wonder what the lift arms can take.
Itwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:15 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Are you talking about an awning?
Manual or electric?
Wind will destroy an awning LONG before it would provide enough lift to roll a camper.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:23 PM   #3
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

When I spent the better part of three weeks in 70+ MPH New Mexico winds this past spring in my 5'ver I kept my trailer level and never put in the slides, but I did keep all of the tanks mostly full for ballast, and instead of hitching up the truck I backed the truck up against the back bumper to steady the trailer as the front was facing directly into the wind.

Some of the others in the RV park thought I was nuts, but at least I could use the truck when I needed to and it just made sense to me that this was the better option at that time.

That trailer was rock steady!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerHunkeredDown-P4111966.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	793.1 KB
ID:	186258   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerHunkeredDown-P4110413.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	720.4 KB
ID:	186259   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerHunkeredDown-P4111964.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	723.2 KB
ID:	186260  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #4
RV There Yet?

i think this is referring to a popup. we rode out some good winds in our popup and never worried about it. you have safety bars that go over the lift arms. i would be more worried about falling debris (trees) than the camper blowing over. if you think its time to crank down, its probably too late, leave it and head for the shelter! that has always been our policy. i can always replace the camper. thats what insurance is for.
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:41 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
i think this is referring to a popup. we rode out some good winds in our popup and never worried about it. you have safety bars that go over the lift arms. i would be more worried about falling debris (trees) than the camper blowing over. if you think its time to crank down, its probably too late, leave it and head for the shelter! that has always been our policy. i can always replace the camper. thats what insurance is for.
Thanks IsleDog... I'd bet you are right.
After all it is in the Pop-up section.
I should learn to read better.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #6
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Thanks IsleDog... I'd bet you are right.
After all it is in the Pop-up section.
I should learn to read better.
good thing i got all my book learnin' in! but this is a great discussion on what winds are "safe" and when its time to abandon ship and head for the shelter regardless of the rig we have. remember, safety third!
Old 09-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #7

We experienced some 50 mph winds in our hw 277. It was all night long. We were in Spearfish SD and there was a tornado watch (lucky that did not happen). Was an uneasy night between keeping an eye on the warnings and the racket from the tenting flapping. In the morning when we went to hitch up, we noticed the skid marks in the gravel made by the stabilizers as the wind had scooted the camper forward a couple of inches during the night. Gave me alot of confidence in the camper for future storms to handle the wind, now the trees you are camping under are more of a worry.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Are you talking about an awning?
Manual or electric?
Wind will destroy an awning LONG before it would provide enough lift to roll a camper.
I’m asking about the camper it’s self.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
We experienced some 50 mph winds in our hw 277. It was all night long. We were in Spearfish SD and there was a tornado watch (lucky that did not happen). Was an uneasy night between keeping an eye on the warnings and the racket from the tenting flapping. In the morning when we went to hitch up, we noticed the skid marks in the gravel made by the stabilizers as the wind had scooted the camper forward a couple of inches during the night. Gave me alot of confidence in the camper for future storms to handle the wind, now the trees you are camping under are more of a worry.
How much play side to side do you have when setup? My HW296 is a used one. I think you can push it about 3-4in (pushing from the longe side).
Old 09-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #10
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Talking popups...

Then maybe connecting it to the tow vehicle might be a good thing in high winds to help keep it in place.

Especially if you plan on staying in it!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #11

A bit of a wiggle, never measured the wiggle but we had a shelving system we had put up using tension rods between the counter and the roof.
The wiggle was enough to send that crashing down once in a slight breeze. Was able to fix that with wooden pole holders glued to the roof and counter to keep the tension rods in place. The shelves never came down after that.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Talking popups...

Then maybe connecting it to the tow vehicle might be a good thing in high winds to help keep it in place.

Especially if you plan on staying in it!
Can't do that with the beds pulled out.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #13
RV There Yet?

Quote:
some you can, some you cant. we could stay connected on ours, but we were within inches. i would rather have my TV disconnected in case we need a quick get away.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
[emoji23]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:15 PM   #15

60 to 75 MPH winds are not uncommon in the mountains of CO. We've never cranked down the PUP body for wind, and we've been through several nights that were so windy we couldn't sleep.

On the awning:
When our bag awning was retracted, we one time experienced winds so strong that the wind would repeatedly lift the bag and then SLAM it against the roof. It really shook the trailer. That was unnerving enough that I installed some 2" wide industrial velcro between the bag and the roof body...during the wind storm.
I put 18" strips of velcro on either end of the 13' long bag, and that was enough to stop the banging.

Our high-wall PUP is also lifted for off-roading. So, when we determine to deploy the awning, it's kind of a one-way decision. It would be nearly impossible to put it away without lowering the roof...especially in high winds.

I'm 6'6", and I have a 3-step aluminum step ladder, but I can barely reach the awning when the roof is up - especially when setup on the shores of our favorite lake where the terrain slopes toward the lake so much we often have to BOTH dig a hole for the uphill wheel and raise the downhill wheel 4" to 6" on blocks to level the trailer.

So, instead, I guy the awning to the ground with heavy duty stakes. 60 to 75 MPH winds would surely destroy it, but thus far, we've survived high winds (and hail) around thunderstorms with no damage to the awning. I use parachute cord and steel tent stakes with the plastic t-caps to hold the guy ropes and the legs of the awning.

If we know to expect high winds, we don't deploy the awning, but if the awning is out, and we know we must put it away, we'd have to remove the door, remove the safety braces, close up the bathroom, and lower the roof most of the way in order to roll it back into the bag.

Not sure if this hail video will work here, but if it does, the guy rope shows as yellow when I pan left during the hail-storm.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...NtdHRwWS12VkpB
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:59 AM   #16
Ham Call N8SAC

We used to have a Coleman PU weighted 1300 lbs . Had a few times we had to tie it down to keep it from blowing off. Have a Rockwood Freedom now weights in at 2200 lbs. 3300 loaded have been in a few storms with this one . Much better don’t worry about it blowing away. Size does make a difference.
Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote