RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #21

Quote:
I don't want to install a brake controller on my van and wire a 7 pin connector into the van. not for a trailer that is under 2000#. Is there any reason a person "has to" connect the electric brakes? I actually don't even know if my pup has them.
Does the PUP have a 7 pin connector? If it does then wire the van and install the seven pin wiring. etrailer dot com has wonderful kits and instructions

If the PUP only has a 4 pin connector, then it has no need and can not use the 7 pin connection.

You can add electric brakes if you feel that you need them... depends on what type of van you are driving (how heavy is it?) and are you pulling a loaded down PUP in the mountains where it could start pushing you some and the extra braking would be nice...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:03 PM   #22

the pup does have a 7 pin plug. our other van was wired with a 4 pin flat, so for our other camper, which also had a 7 pin plug, we bought an adaptor to go from four pin to seven, and it worked. seems we didn't have back up lights, but we got away without them. thanks, and it's good to know we can tow it and and add the brake controller if we need to.
debbiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #23

Back to the pop up top. I got some good help from a couple of product reps, and I thought I'd share the information. My 2010 rockwood 1460LTD freedom series top is made from a product called Lamilux flex pebble. it is plastic polyester resin with fiberglass. Based on this information I called some coating companies. The man from Henry roof coating was the most helpful. Based on the information about the material the top was made from, he suggested tropi-cool 887, which is siliconized. depending on the condition of the top, maybe a first coat of tropical-cool 885. He said it would adhere better than their elastomeric products.
yesterday we finished the interior bracing of the top, and I lowered it and scrubbed it down with full strength solution of TSP and a brush. then I hosed if off well. I opened it up immediately and was glad to see the washing process didn't cause any leaks. After it dries well, we will coat with the troop-cool.
I am now optimistic about the camper.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:49 AM   #24

So the top and front of the roof have been coated with tropical-cool. It is a sticky mess to apply. Thick enough that it seems almost self-leveling and very tacky while curing. It adheres well to everything and you want to work fast. If possible maybe best to apply in a garage, as some small bugs got stuck in it. I was able to pick all but the smallest ones out. Last evening, it was very shiny, almost wet looking and still tacky to the touch.
This morning it isn't tacky anymore, seems very tough. Also not as shiny.
I don't have experience with other products to compare it too, but it seems like a good solution for a roof like ours. We don't think two coats will be necessary, but we didn't use the whole gallon so may carefully apply another.
I think it is a good solution for a fiberglass/plastic roof.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:34 PM   #25
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiej View Post
as we are prepping the top and finishing the last bits of seam sealing, I notice the some of the surface texture does have small, short cracks that a fingernail can get into. so we will use a thicker roof coating, like henrys enviro-white or grizzly grip. we want it flexible, and I think the henry's product is elastomeric. thanks to all, there is light at the end of the tunnel! we will go camping in it soon!
this is an 8' box, we live in New Mexico and are not a very regulated state. I don't want to install a brake controller on my van and wire a 7 pin connector into the van. not for a trailer that is under 2000#. Is there any reason a person "has to" connect the electric brakes? I actually don't even know if my pup has them.
According to what I found about a 2010 Rockford 1640 pup is it comes with electric brakes. To verify look on the hitch a-frame for a small box with a cable and 2 wires. This box/cable is your break-a-way switch that sets the brakes if the trailer comes unhitched from your TV.

I also have the brochure for it and if you look on page #14 it give the specs. That is a lot of weight to pull without brakes on the trailer. If you get in any kind of accident and don't have the brakes hooked up you will have lots of fun getting your insurance to cover it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breakaway Switch.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	157165  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RockTent2010.pdf (2.54 MB, 7 views)
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:22 AM   #26

I'm pretty sure anything under 2000# is ok without brakes. I know the camper won't weigh that much over it's dry weight, as except for bedding, few pots and pans and plastic dishes, and water, most of our stuff is in the van. I see that page 14 in our manual, but don't see that breakaway switch on the camper. would it be under the tongue? Truly appreciate the advice, at least this first trip we will go without. I think our van's brakes won't be overtaxed and we aren't headed for long mountain drives.
We have never pulled a pop up with brakes, mostly because they were all "vintage" 80's models and none had them. This pop up is the smallest we've ever owned. I know in the area of safety it is better to err on the side of caution, so maybe there is a brake controller in the future.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:05 PM   #27
Just as confused as you

IIRC, Most states require any trailer over 3000# gross to have brakes. Some require brakes on 1500# gross. Many minivans, crossovers and small suv's can't handle it well because of the short wheelbase and standard tire pressures. You have to max out the tire pressures on the sidewalls of the TV tires.

The last time I pulled a popup without brakes it weighed only 1800# loaded and when we went down a 1/4 mile hill it wanted to fishtail. The only way to keep it under control was to speed up. By the time we got to the bottom the speedo was just under 70 in a 55 speed zone. With brakes I could have manually applied the trailer brakes to control it.

Advise you to use the trailer brakes, that's why they are on there for.
Camping since 1989
Old 11-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #28

No need for electric brakes on a trailer that is less than 2000 pounds.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #29
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhugo View Post
No need for electric brakes on a trailer that is less than 2000 pounds.
Until you need to do a full panic stop and it goes wrong. Just saying.
Camping since 1989
Old 11-26-2017, 03:32 PM   #30

Be safe and install the break system
It canít hurt and it can help
stonefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:01 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Until you need to do a full panic stop and it goes wrong. Just saying.

Using that logic it would be too unsafe to load any vehicle with extra weight and drive it without installing a better braking system.

I canít think of a state that requires electric brakes for trailers less than 2000 pounds. Break away brakes maybe.

Life is full of danger, if your that worried about it, pay for the controller and brakes to be installed.

I would just make sure I had good brakes on my truck and drive conservatively, just like I do with my camper that has trailer brakes.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #32
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhugo View Post
Using that logic it would be too unsafe to load any vehicle with extra weight and drive it without installing a better braking system.

I canít think of a state that requires electric brakes for trailers less than 2000 pounds. Break away brakes maybe.

Life is full of danger, if your that worried about it, pay for the controller and brakes to be installed.

I would just make sure I had good brakes on my truck and drive conservatively, just like I do with my camper that has trailer brakes.
There are more than you think. Trailer Brakes - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

Arkansas - Every new trailer or semitrailer weighing at least 1,500 lbs. shall come equipped with brakes on all wheels.

California - Every trailer coach or camp trailer with a GVW of 1,500 lbs. or more must be equipped with brakes on at least 2 wheels.

Idaho - Trailers with an unladen weight of 1,500 lbs. must have an independent braking system, and a breakaway system capable of applying the brakes in the event of a separation from the towing vehicle is required.

Mississippi - Every trailer carrying over 1 ton, when operated on a highway, shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of the trailer and to stop and hold the trailer.

New York - Every trailer and semitrailer weighing more than 1,000 lbs. unladen and every trailer and semitrailer manufactured on or after January 1, 1971, having a registered maximum gross weight or an actual gross weight of more than 3,000 lbs. shall be equipped with adequate brakes in good working order.

North Carolina - Every semitrailer, trailer, or separate vehicle attached by a drawbar or coupling to a towing vehicle of at least 4,000 lbs., and every house trailer weighing at least 1,000 lbs., shall be equipped with brakes controlled or operated by the driver of the towing vehicle.

North Dakota - Every trailer operated at a speed in excess of 25 mph must have safety chains or brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and to hold such vehicle. The safety chains or brakes must be designed so that they can be applied by the driver of the towing vehicle from its cab, and must be designed and connected so that in case of an accidental breakaway the brakes are automatically applied.

Oregon - Independent braking system not required, but combination of vehicles must be able to stop within legal limits. Every motor vehicle and combination of motor vehicles, except motorcycles and mopeds, shall at all times be equipped with a parking brake system.

Utah & Wyoming - Every motor vehicle and every combination of vehicle shall have a service braking system which will stop the vehicle or combination within 40 feet from an initial speed of 20 mph on level, dry, smooth, hard surface.
Camping since 1989
Old 11-27-2017, 07:40 PM   #33

Quote:
There are more than you think. Trailer Brakes - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

Arkansas - Every new trailer or semitrailer weighing at least 1,500 lbs. shall come equipped with brakes on all wheels.

California - Every trailer coach or camp trailer with a GVW of 1,500 lbs. or more must be equipped with brakes on at least 2 wheels.

Idaho - Trailers with an unladen weight of 1,500 lbs. must have an independent braking system, and a breakaway system capable of applying the brakes in the event of a separation from the towing vehicle is required.

Mississippi - Every trailer carrying over 1 ton, when operated on a highway, shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of the trailer and to stop and hold the trailer.

New York - Every trailer and semitrailer weighing more than 1,000 lbs. unladen and every trailer and semitrailer manufactured on or after January 1, 1971, having a registered maximum gross weight or an actual gross weight of more than 3,000 lbs. shall be equipped with adequate brakes in good working order.

North Carolina - Every semitrailer, trailer, or separate vehicle attached by a drawbar or coupling to a towing vehicle of at least 4,000 lbs., and every house trailer weighing at least 1,000 lbs., shall be equipped with brakes controlled or operated by the driver of the towing vehicle.

North Dakota - Every trailer operated at a speed in excess of 25 mph must have safety chains or brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and to hold such vehicle. The safety chains or brakes must be designed so that they can be applied by the driver of the towing vehicle from its cab, and must be designed and connected so that in case of an accidental breakaway the brakes are automatically applied.

Oregon - Independent braking system not required, but combination of vehicles must be able to stop within legal limits. Every motor vehicle and combination of motor vehicles, except motorcycles and mopeds, shall at all times be equipped with a parking brake system.

Utah & Wyoming - Every motor vehicle and every combination of vehicle shall have a service braking system which will stop the vehicle or combination within 40 feet from an initial speed of 20 mph on level, dry, smooth, hard surface.
Thatís quite a bit of research. But many of those actually donít count in this case. A couple do, but I bet they are grandfathered or such.

Breakaway brakes are always a good idea. I can agree with that.

If you feel that your tow vehicle cannot safely tell a 1 ton trailer then you should probably invest in a tow vehicle that can. Learning how to use gears instead of brakes on grades is also a good idea.

Iím not out to argue with you, but most people who tow a lot would not think electric brakes are needed for trailers that weigh less than a ton. Thatís why most didnít/donít come with them.

Trying to tow with a vehicle not set up to tow a ton , on the other hand, still wonít be safe with electric brakes.

Not knowing how to tow is dangerous in any case.

If you want to spend hundreds for electric brakes on a trailer that doesnít need it, go ahead. It Is a waste better spent on tow vehicle brakes or training instead.

Please donít take my opinion as an insult.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:17 PM   #34
Just as confused as you

I know where your coming from. OP's pup already has electric brakes on it and they don't say what size van they have as a TV, so why not use them.

If you read my earlier post, we had towed a 1800# pup with a Dodge Caravan and the pup wanted to sway when we went down a 1/4 mile hill. It didn't have brakes on it.
Camping since 1989
Old 11-27-2017, 08:40 PM   #35

Quote:
I know where your coming from. OP's pup already has electric brakes on it and they don't say what size van they have as a TV, so why not use them.

If you read my earlier post, we had towed a 1800# pup with a Dodge Caravan and the pup wanted to sway when we went down a 1/4 mile hill. It didn't have brakes on it.

It sounds like you didn't have the trailer loaded correctly, I have a 6.5 x 12 foot trailer that I tow any where from 1000 lbs to 2900 lbs all the time, I have never had a the trailer sway on me and I have pulled it for thousands of miles. by using the brakes to control the trailer you run the risk of damaging your trailer and tires.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #36
Just as confused as you

Could have, it was our first trailer and the first time out with it. It was the only time we had a problem and speeding up gradually to smooth it out we hit 70mph by the time we got to the bottom of the hill. Just glad the deputy wasn't around.

It wasn't the first time I pulled trailers though. Used to pull fertilizer spreaders 65mph loaded with 6 tons. They didn't have brakes either.
Camping since 1989
Old 11-29-2017, 12:35 PM   #37

Thanks for all the input! We tow with a 15 Dodge Grand Caravan, rated to tow 3600#. Our pop up is a 1400# 1460 LTD. I can't imagine it even weighing that much it is so short. we are camping in it right now and it is great! We only went to a lake about 70 miles away. No real steep grades, but some big hills. I'd drove, and absolutely didn't feel it behind the van. Not accelerating, not braking, no sway, fish tailing. Tows easy. My husband wired the van with a 4 pin plug. All is well, thanks!
Old 11-29-2017, 12:43 PM   #38

Sorry to hear about your roof troubles, but I purchased a Rockwood 1640LTD earlier this summer.

I had the same questions about brakes, since the trailer has the 7 pin connector. After climbing under and looking at the wheel hubs, it did not have brakes. Apparently this was an option on this line.

Good luck with your roof project!
Spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:17 AM   #39

Debbie can you post pics of the finished product? Curious what it looks like and how itís holding up