RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-29-2020, 05:40 PM   #1

Towing a 232ESP w/Half-ton

Hey Everyone,

I'm new here to this Forums and looking to see who is towing a Front Deck PUP with a half-ton. Are you guys using WDH? I'm pretty sure a 232ESP has a deck capacity of 650LBS(total of 861LBSCCC), how much of that transfers to the tongue weight? Who has weighed there set up with an ATV up front? I'm curious as my ATV is 616LBS wet weight.

This trailer is perfect for my outdoor adventure with or without my family. I'm always in the Colorado back country camping/hunting. I'd like to get out of a tent with cots and still able to bring my ATV, so i'm researching my best options. Remaining Payload for me after Myself, Family, carseat, Truck accessories is around 950lbs.. 1100lbs Remaining when I am myself. Just trying to work with what I have and stay within my limitations. My truck is only 3 years old i'm not looking to upgrade just yet.

TIA
Dj6point2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:01 PM   #2

Looks like you would be pushing both the truck payload and trailer payload.

Most of the weight from the ATV will be on the hitch.

I have a structural background. not an owner. We have a fifth wheel.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:29 PM   #3

Probably 50% of cargo on the deck goes on the hitch. Measure from the wheel center to coupler and see where the center of the deck falls on that. I used to have a high wall Flagstaff with a double deck.
brwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwarrior View Post
Probably 50% of cargo on the deck goes on the hitch. Measure from the wheel center to coupler and see where the center of the deck falls on that. I used to have a high wall Flagstaff with a double deck.

Thank you for the response.

I thought I seen a equation some where on the internet or this forum floating around. Iím expecting it be close to maximum weight on the truck. Iíll see if I can stop by a dealership this week and get a measurement.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj6point2 View Post
Thank you for the response.

I thought I seen a equation some where on the internet or this forum floating around. Iím expecting it be close to maximum weight on the truck. Iíll see if I can stop by a dealership this week and get a measurement.
As I look at pictures of that trailer online, it appears that the platform is biased forward such that 70% or more of the weight of the cargo on the platform would be on the hitch.

If you have access to the trailer, take a tape measure and measure the distance from the center of the axle to the hitch ball. Now measure from the center of the axle to the center of the platform.

For convenience, say that the first measurement is 12 feet and the 2nd is 8 feet. That would mean that the center of the cargo is 8/12 of the way from the axle to the ball, or 3/4, or 75%. If the 2nd measurement had been 6 feet, then 6/12 is 1/2, or 50% of the weight would be on the trailer axle and 50% on the ball.

Basically, the closer the load is to the hitch ball, the more the truck is carrying. The closer the load is to the trailer axle, the more the trailer is carrying.

So, if your ATV is 616 lbs, and the platform is 75% forward, then it's going to add 460-ish pounds to your tongue weight.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:25 PM   #6

Umm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
For convenience, say that the first measurement is 12 feet and the 2nd is 8 feet. That would mean that the center of the cargo is 8/12 of the way from the axle to the ball, or 3/4, or 75%. If the 2nd measurement had been 6 feet, then 6/12 is 1/2, or 50% of the weight would be on the trailer axle and 50% on the ball.
Isn't 8/12 equal to 2/3, or 67%?

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Isn't 8/12 equal to 2/3, or 67%?
Probably, thanks for the sanity check. I don't even have an excuse.

The premise is correct, it's just my math that is off. I should have been using 9 feet instead of 8.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:36 PM   #8

Most important is what type of half ton do you have? There are dozens!

A grocery getter or a work truck. Or something in between.

You get that by reading the Payload sticker on the door frame.

Read my post again. Frankly, the rv has a low payload. 800 something. I would be concerned about both. The weight of the atv, propane, batteries and weight distribution hitch might be most of the rv available payload.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
As I look at pictures of that trailer online, it appears that the platform is biased forward such that 70% or more of the weight of the cargo on the platform would be on the hitch.

If you have access to the trailer, take a tape measure and measure the distance from the center of the axle to the hitch ball. Now measure from the center of the axle to the center of the platform.

Basically, the closer the load is to the hitch ball, the more the truck is carrying. The closer the load is to the trailer axle, the more the trailer is carrying.

So, if your ATV is 616 lbs, and the platform is 75% forward, then it's going to add 460-ish pounds to your tongue weight.

This is good info. Iím hoping to stop in and check on a trailer this week. Hopefully soon I can do it. Thank you for the help.

Tags
towing