Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2017, 05:01 PM   #1

Two piece door issue pop-up

Long story short on our third camping trip in our new 2017 Flagstaff 206LTD pop up. Our door on popup is not square here at camp site, all levels indicate I am level front to back and left to right and I am using a brand new BAL Leveler I got off of Amazon. It's weird if someone gets on off the bunks the door opens, plus sometimes it won't latch at all. On very level asphalt site both ways never had this issue before. Oh then the cable you use to raise the pop up roof came out at the top. I believe I can fix it at home just by moving it a little left or right. It sounds to me that owning any cay kind of rv is fustrating and a major test PATIENCE!

ALL comments and suggestions welcome.
Hoyt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:59 PM   #2

I have a highwall with a full-height door in a frame, and sometimes I notice that the opening in the tub is still out of shape even if the camper is level. Often the top of the opening in the tub is wider than the bottom, and there will be some twist in the opening.

The camper frame may look substantial, but the frame actually bends quite a bit.
I often tweak my leveling jacks and tongue jack just a bit to square up the door frame and remove any twist.

I usually do this after The camper is setup and the door is installed. I compare the door's frame with the door opening in the tub and adjust the tongue jack to "Squeeze" the top together, and use stabilizer jacks to remove any twist in the opening in the tub.

It's never perfect, but I can always get it close enough that the door functions well and stays closed.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:12 PM   #3

Thank you , got it resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
I have a highwall with a full-height door in a frame, and sometimes I notice that the opening in the tub is still out of shape even if the camper is level. Often the top of the opening in the tub is wider than the bottom, and there will be some twist in the opening.

The camper frame may look substantial, but the frame actually bends quite a bit.
I often tweak my leveling jacks and tongue jack just a bit to square up the door frame and remove any twist.

I usually do this after The camper is setup and the door is installed. I compare the door's frame with the door opening in the tub and adjust the tongue jack to "Squeeze" the top together, and use stabilizer jacks to remove any twist in the opening in the tub.

It's never perfect, but I can always get it close enough that the door functions well and stays closed.

Long story short I raised the roof to high, figured it out due to the two piece door where it connects to the Bottom door was separate by 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Lower the roof till they connected. Bingo door lines up much better. Thank you jimmoore, for your experience with popup doors and how I might try adjusting. You hit it dead on with keep adjusting due to it never perfect.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt15 View Post
Long story short I raised the roof to high, figured it out due to the two piece door where it connects to the Bottom door was separate by 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Lower the roof till they connected. Bingo door lines up much better. Thank you jimmoore, for your experience with popup doors and how I might try adjusting. You hit it dead on with keep adjusting due to it never perfect.
Are you missing the tether wire that informs you when you're all the way up?
Also, if you have an electric lift, consider adjusting the upper "limit switch" to stop the lift sooner. Finally, depending on the design of your lift posts, you might be able to use a sharpie to mark the posts when the top is at the correct height. It's a bit risky to raise the roof too high, so finding a way to prevent that would be a good idea.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:34 AM   #5

"It sounds to me that owning any kind of rv is frustrating and a major test PATIENCE!"

X2!!!!!
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamper00 View Post
"It sounds to me that owning any kind of rv is frustrating and a major test PATIENCE!"

X2!!!!!
X3, 4, and 5.
But, like a boat, it can be worth it...or the best days of your life can be the day you buy it and the day you sell it.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:13 PM   #7
Summer2Go

My old popup didn't have all the motorized gadgetry the new ones did, it had a crank. I would crank up the roof, set the top of the door in place, and then see how easily it would swing and latch, we probably would lower it a little. The kids all had jobs setting up, I had to watch that nobody started to Velcro around the door til it was done, cause that could hold it out of line as well.
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
Are you missing the tether wire that informs you when you're all the way up?
Also, if you have an electric lift, consider adjusting the upper "limit switch" to stop the lift sooner. Finally, depending on the design of your lift posts, you might be able to use a sharpie to mark the posts when the top is at the correct height. It's a bit risky to raise the roof too high, so finding a way to prevent that would be a good idea.
Tether line there but I was not paying attention and I pull out the tether line from the roof. Due to not setting the limit. I read about the limit switch in the manual, sounded time consuming so neglected to set. I see why it's needed now. lesson learned the hard way !
Old 07-05-2017, 02:23 PM   #9
peaceparson

Summer2go haas the idea! Our first pop-up was an old Steury--1973. Id didn't even have a crank, and the top must have weighed 800 pounds! O.k., a bit of an exaggeration, but it was heavy. Our children were still quite young, but every one of them had a job to do when putting up and taking down the camper. It was all hands on deck for the raising of the top! After it was up, and the bars had been latched straight, everyone pitched in to get it ready to sleep in. We could have our home-away-from-home ready for habitation in just under twelve minutes from the time we unhitched. Putting down took less time, especially in the rain! We're in an FR pup now, with a crank. don't think we'll ever get it motorized. Just another thing to break down.
peaceparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:34 PM   #10

Door Fleetwood Flagstaf 2004

Right side Venal with Velcrow between door Jam an will not reach door jam anymore? A gap between Door Jam and Camper Body. Any Idea`s ?
Carl183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:26 AM   #11
happyhiker

Pop up door issue

My door on my 1989 pop-up will not line up. If I lower the roof, door will not open. raise the roof and door will not line up. according to the levels on front and back, its level.
henrynora is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door