RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-24-2017, 11:16 PM   #1

Under awning led light rail

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0815.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	135816
Just wondering had anyone installed a led rail on there tent trailer?
oadago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:50 AM   #2

I installed a after market LED strip I got from Amazon, they look cool but are way to bright for my liking. Used them only a couple of times. If I had to do it all over again I would not have them, just my opinion though.
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:13 PM   #3

I have no doubt that the LED strip would be bright, effective, and efficient. If you need "lots" of light, go for it. The hardest part of the job will be to get power to the lights, so I'd recommend that you bring the power to the outside in a permanent wire installation, then connect the light fixture to your permanent cable....perhaps housed in a small, weatherproof box. That way you can easily replace/upgrade the fixture in the future.

Routing power to the fixture will require some clever planning. It's likely that you'll find a wire "chase" on the road (rather than curb) side of the camper. The wires will feed your overhead lights, and they will likely run through a canvas "tube" near a window above the converter. You should be able to thread another pair of wires through that canvas tube, find a place to connect it on the converter, and then you can run the wire across the ceiling to the curb-side of the camper. Use self-adhesive clips to "dress" the wire to the ceiling. You may wish to install a small switch for your outdoor lights on the inside just behind the outdoor weatherproof box.

You could pickoff power from one of the overhead lights, but then you'd either be running the interior lights while outside, or you'd have to shut off each interior light individually at the fixture. Not very elegant. If you like boondocking, you may drain your battery in a hurry.

We seldom go to campgrounds that have power or water. We love boondocking. And like JPBar, we like it dark.

If you're into hookups, the LED strip will be fine. But if you are off the grid, you might consider something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Etekcity-Po...ttery+operated

These throw more than enough light (really far too much if you enjoy the night sky), and they can be positioned where they do the most good. I put one under each bed tent end and keep the others inside to supplement a propane mantle lantern. A set of 4 AA batteries lasts a season, and I get the batteries at Costco (Kirkland brand), so they are dirt cheap.

If you had a big RV, I'd expect you to want the party lights and more of an "at home" atmosphere. But if you have a popup, you might appreciate roughing it a bit more. If so, the choices in portable LED lanterns gives you far more flexibility with less hassle. I have some of the little guys above. I also have some of these hangable flashlights: https://smile.amazon.com/Tarrkenn-LE...ble+led+lights

And, I have two like this. One of these can be hung from a tree limb with a rope, and it will light up a huge area for little kids to play and feel safe: https://smile.amazon.com/CORE-Batter...ttery+operated
That's just an illustration, but that CREE bulb with a 750 lumen rating is so bright you'll be thrilled that it has a dimmer.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #4

Quote:
they look cool but are way to bright for my liking
There are ways to address brightness of the LED lights... the best is to use RGB addressable lighting with a controller. My under awning can be dimmed.

Here is a 4 minute video that explains...

https://youtu.be/cxTVJ_lxEaM

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:00 AM   #5

I also bought an inexpensive LED self adhesive light strip. I cleaned under the awning cover and placed it along the length of the awning. Stopping a few inches from the ends. It is completely Protected from the rain. I wanted to wire it into the trailer but really just ran out of time during the install and haven't made the time to finish. So I just hook up the remote box and run a small extension cord to the outside box. It works fine. The light are dimmable, so they don't bother me and my DW, and the kids love playing with the various programs. We leave it on at night on the dimmest setting. The color for each night is chosen by the kids. I don't seem to have a pic on my phone anymore or would have attached. Anyway, it is a simple install. I'll someday finish the hardwiring, but for now, it works good. Good luck.
Dodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:03 PM   #6

We purchased the led deck light strip from Menards last summer. Put it up right under awning bag. We love it and the different colors. Get many comments while camping about them. Didn't wire them in, just plug them into the outside outlet. Planned ahead as to where outlet & plug could reach without extension cords

tigger68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oadago View Post
Attachment 135816
Just wondering had anyone installed a led rail on there tent trailer?
Where did you get that fixture from? That looks a lot nicer than just a stick on strip. Where did you wire it to?
cousin_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #8

Eddie the initial post was regarding how to wire this in
I will post part numbers
Soon as I get them
Old 05-09-2017, 10:58 AM   #9

Sorry, I assumed that because they were lighted in the picture that you had figured something out.

Looking at mine, my plan is to tap into the inside dome lights using the same connector that the auxiliary inside lighting uses. I figure I can mount any controller I would need to the inside of the roof above the sink, and just plug it into that fixture.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:57 PM   #10

The picture I posted I had to dig for it was on line that's how the new rockwood pop ups come. They have a led light bar under the awning. It's a clean application. And it's points in a down ward angle.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousin_eddie View Post
Sorry, I assumed that because they were lighted in the picture that you had figured something out.

Looking at mine, my plan is to tap into the inside dome lights using the same connector that the auxiliary inside lighting uses. I figure I can mount any controller I would need to the inside of the roof above the sink, and just plug it into that fixture.
That will work, but, if I understood your answer correctly, the master switch for the inside lights will have to be on all the time to run the outside light. You could turn off each individual inside light at its individual switch, but the main switch would have to be on.

Instead, you could run a pair of wires to the fabric guide tube that runs down the sidewall of the canvass (probably on the street side of the camper right above the breaker panel) and into the breaker/fuse panel. There may well be a spare circuit on the panel, or, since the LEDs draw minimal power, you might double up on an existing circuit (far less desirable). Then you would be able to leave all interior lights on and use the main switch to turn them on and off simultaneously, AND you could run the outdoor light separately (with its own switch).

Alternatively, you can chase the LED light strip wires over to the power supplying the ceiling fan. The fan is switched at the device, so you can pick-off power before the ceiling fan switch. You will find another fabric tube under the vent fan that hides and protects the wire feeding the ceiling fan. If you can swap the LED strip end-for-end (and it is aimed properly) the wire will come through the side of the roof right near the ceiling fan. If not, you may be able to run the wire through the side of the roof near the door and affix the wire under the little skirt curtains along the ceiling to hide it. If you don't have those skirt curtains, some clips or good tape will dress the wire to keep it neat. This is massive overkill, but tape like this can dress the wire: https://www.amazon.com/JVCC-Wire-Lin.../dp/B000QDXX6O Convenient location of the switch will be an important factor, too, so running the wire in near the door is probably the best option.

The hard part is running and hiding (dressing) the wire, but independent operation of the light will be worth the effort rather than having to work around manual operation of each interior light.

And the added bonus is that if you do any boondocking whatsoever, saving electricity is crucial. All that fiddle-farting around turning individual lights on and off will be fine for you, but a 10 year old kid will drain your battery in no time.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:13 PM   #12

Our fan is switched with the lights, and the fabric tube runs down the non door side of the camper. I suppose I could chase the wires behind the upper trim fabric on the interior of the front roof, but I was looking to keep it simple. Our main switch is on most of the time anyway due to the fan, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:45 PM   #13

I installed an aftermarket LED strip I bought off amazon. I don't have pics on this device. I'll look for them and post later tomorrow. The kids love them. They customize the lights for a couple hours before we go to bed. I do like the dimmer function myself. When we go to bed, I put the dark red color all the way down and use that for an outside light, (seems to attract less bugs than the stock amber light, and they are above your head instead of waist level if we have to go out at night).

I also like it darker at night, but the DW likes a light on, so she can see out if necessary. I've asked several neighbors if they have bothered them, and everyone has said not at all.

We mostly camp at electric sites, so I plan on hardwiring them in the future. For now, I just run a small extension cord to the outside outlet. One can hardly see it. Works great for now.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #14

We have the factory LED light strip under the awning on our 2318G. It really does have the "cool factor", however it is a BUG MAGNET !!!. At some point I will replace with RGB so that we can get an orange/amber color to minimize its ability to draw bugs from miles away.
JBinNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:28 PM   #15

2018 Rockwood Premeir HW 296 under wning light.

Here is my Factory under Awning led light In my 2018 HW296.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20170810_20_05_39_Pro.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	147856  
Cowboy6201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy6201 View Post
Here is my Factory under Awning led light In my 2018 HW296.

Did u install it?
Old 08-11-2017, 02:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oadago View Post
Did u install it?
No Rockwood did.
Cowboy6201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #18

Hi,

We installed an indoor/outdoor LED strip that we got from Costco on the awning rail. Unless we are just camping overnight, we use the awning and the screen room that attaches to the awning. Our 2415g has a tent part that extends out for the sink, so putting the lighting on the roof edge would cause part of the lighting to be hidden above the extension.

The LED strip was 12ft, I believe, 2 per pack, so we have a spare. I had to cut the length to somewhat less than 11ft (awning length). However, it is 24V so I can't connect it to the 12V system. I connected it to the 120V system with an extension cord. As you can see, I attach the cord to awning side rails with twist ties every time I set up, and the extension cord that drops down is hidden.

The system gives good lighting in the screen room at night if we want to read, or nice colourful accent lighting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170730_194954 reduced.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	147984   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170730_195000 reduced annotate.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	147985  
2019: 40

Setups: 90 (including 18 at home)