Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2022, 03:26 PM   #1

Used 2716 Questions

Hi - New to the forum and this seemed like the best place to ask questions about Forest River pop up campers. DW and I have been looking at a 2716F camper (actually several of them) and have found the dealer knowledge to be limited in terms of explaining some differences we noted between several used units. We looked at 2 units at 1 dealer, a 2015 which was a premier version (letter "G") and a 2020 which is an "F" - and with the exception of the color patterns, the only other difference we noticed was the stairs/travel door - the 2015 had a side out single step and you have to remove and store the travel door under the rear bunk. the 2020 had a fold down staircase, which was part of the travel door, it does not come off - and there was no mounting for the stairs. My wife found that very good for her and getting in and out of the camper, I was just trying to figure out why none of the other pop ups had these stairs - they were very similar to one of the travel trailers we looked at. Anyone have these stairs on their pop up - and if so - do they work ok? I was worried about level ground and them being unstable or having to dig out so the staircase can "sit" on the ground. Thanks!
TiedIsPep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 03:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiedIsPep View Post
Hi - New to the forum and this seemed like the best place to ask questions about Forest River pop up campers. DW and I have been looking at a 2716F camper (actually several of them) and have found the dealer knowledge to be limited in terms of explaining some differences we noted between several used units. We looked at 2 units at 1 dealer, a 2015 which was a premier version (letter "G") and a 2020 which is an "F" - and with the exception of the color patterns, the only other difference we noticed was the stairs/travel door - the 2015 had a side out single step and you have to remove and store the travel door under the rear bunk. the 2020 had a fold down staircase, which was part of the travel door, it does not come off - and there was no mounting for the stairs. My wife found that very good for her and getting in and out of the camper, I was just trying to figure out why none of the other pop ups had these stairs - they were very similar to one of the travel trailers we looked at. Anyone have these stairs on their pop up - and if so - do they work ok? I was worried about level ground and them being unstable or having to dig out so the staircase can "sit" on the ground. Thanks!

There isn't much difference in the years you quoted. As to the Stair differences, every year it seems they are inventing an Upgrade as a NEW selling feature.

The Fold Down Stairs "should have" slide down adjustable legs on the bottom of them for leveling on the ground, making them more stabile. A huge plus!

EDIT (I was just looking at pictures of the 2020 2716G, and they do have the adjustable legs for the stairs. )

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 05:37 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum!

Sometimes these letters have a 'meaning' and sometimes not.
Our REV 21TB refers to the two twin beds and the REV 21RB probably refers to the rear bath, but honestly, that's just a guess.

I wouldn't worry about the letters. If you like it and the price is right, go for it.
Old 10-27-2022, 07:18 PM   #4

Thanks all - I was more concerned about the stairs - will have to look again since we didn't see any type of adjustments. The dealer seemed to think it was something custom but my wife found another with the same stairs, same year so that makes sense that it was a "feature".

As for the letters - a little googling has revealed that a "G" is a Premiere model/trim and F is for Freedom, and it seems the Premiere class of the pup's were eliminated around 2019/2020.
Old 10-27-2022, 08:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks all - I was more concerned about the stairs - will have to look again since we didn't see any type of adjustments. The dealer seemed to think it was something custom but my wife found another with the same stairs, same year so that makes sense that it was a "feature".

As for the letters - a little googling has revealed that a "G" is a Premiere model/trim and F is for Freedom, and it seems the Premiere class of the pup's were eliminated around 2019/2020.

Here is a picture of a 2020 2716g showing the steps. Looking at the bottom of the steps you notice a PIN with a Hoop Ring, and the feet beneath it touching the ground. This is your step adjustment. Pull the Pin, the bar slides down and locks into whatever position you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unit_photo_201907240315519181581749.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	280984  

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
Old 10-28-2022, 08:06 PM   #6

Great - we are going back to look at them again tomorrow as well as a highwall (27ks?) and knowing that about the stairs will be helpful. Not sure the highwall will work as I dont want to store away from my house, and our current pop up (as well as the others we have seen) can still be "hidden" behind our fence - but the highwall would stick out.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Great - we are going back to look at them again tomorrow as well as a highwall (27ks?) and knowing that about the stairs will be helpful. Not sure the highwall will work as I dont want to store away from my house, and our current pop up (as well as the others we have seen) can still be "hidden" behind our fence - but the highwall would stick out.

Looking at current specifications, and comparing the 2 campers you are speaking of, here are the slight differences.

2716F - Height closed is 6'. Overall trailer closed is 19.3' Hitch weight 360 lbs.

HW27KS - Height closed is 6' 7". Overall trailer closed is 19'.6" Hitch weight 380 lbs.

Pretty close in dimensions, and both equally as nice. Looks to be approximately a 500lb. weight difference as well.

Best of luck with your search.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
Old 10-31-2022, 10:35 AM   #8

We just picked up a used 2020 2716F - Funny you mentioned the letters as although the title is for a 2716F, the camper itself says 2716G on the frame labels, looking at the brochures there seems to be little difference except it appears they eliminated the "Premiere" trim line.

We have the same fold down staircase and for us - on a level spot (so far we have only had the camper at the dealer and in our parking area) - we haven't needed to extend them at all. Our old camper had that type of single slide out stair. As a note - my wife is handicapped, and that grab handle makes all the difference for her getting into the camper compared with our old Coleman, and she liked the 2 stairs vs the single step we had in the past.

Good Luck when/if you purchase!
Rabbit86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 02:29 PM   #9

You will find that Rockwood, Flagstaff etc are just different trims of similar campers.

Newer ones will have some more modern conveniences such as Wi-Fi repeaters and an antenna or stereo. Functionally they will be the same with some slight modifications.

Those stairs are cool and I am thinking about getting a set and changing my 2018 HW some time but I would not let it be the determining factor in your purchase. I would say focus on functionality and what is best for you. The travel door is only a bother twice on a trip, when you take it off and then put it back on but there is nothing to that really. Working on it in the driveway etc... it can stay in place. I got one of the latches that is on my HW already from a dealer and used some good double sided 3M auto trim tape to attach it. Now it holds the door open and out of the way in those instances and its no bother at all unless I want to get in to the front corner hatch which is accessible from the inside as well.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 02:42 PM   #10

We have a 2716G 2018 model. We looked at the highwall as well but the 2716 has a larger dinning table. Im 6'4" and have slept on the dinette cushions. IMO its a better layout than the HW series. Also having 2 fridges is nice!
Old 11-13-2022, 06:57 AM   #11

So we went with the camper labeled 2716F (the 2020). Noticed a few differences with the 2 campers (Besides colors) - one of which is the inside fridge on the one we bought is a little smaller. But the camper itself was in much better condition than the other. Wife and kids are very excited since this camper is so much larger than our old one. We did a driveway camp this weekend (writing this from the camper) and it slept well. I actually have a few questions that the dealer couldn't answer, but I'll post them as seperate questions!

Tags
question, questions