Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2018, 10:01 PM   #1

Vehicle wiring and problem

I know this is not directly camper related but I was hoping you could help. We baled last night at a hotel after a late drive. I left the van connected to the trailer. Of course I had the frig on 12v so this morning the battery was dead. I disconnected the trailer electric from the van and jumped the van. I reconnected the trailer and no lights at all no running brake or turn signals. I have brakes but no lights. The vehicle is a 2013 Toyota Sienna. I had the dealer wire the lights. The van lights work fine. Any idea what fuse is bad? I am having troubles finding a fuse in the trailer wiring.
ekskp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:22 PM   #2

What kind of trailer do you have? I had this happen to me once, killed my truck battery, if it is a TT there should be a re-settable fuse/circuit breaker under the front of the TT, mine was mounted on the frame right under the front of the trailer, follow the positive cable from the battery you should run right into it.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
What kind of trailer do you have? I had this happen to me once, killed my truck battery, if it is a TT there should be a re-settable fuse/circuit breaker under the front of the TT, mine was mounted on the frame right under the front of the trailer, follow the positive cable from the battery you should run right into it.

I have a 2018 flagstaff 823D pup. I just looked and there is a fuse connected directly to the battery in the battery box on the trailer. The stuff in the trailer is working it is the running lights, turn signals, brakes lights and 12v power from the vehicle not working. Testing the vehicle side plug those things are not working. I thought about the ground but then the brakes would not work. I thought about the black box getting fried but then why no 12v?
Old 07-22-2018, 06:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekskp View Post
I have a 2018 flagstaff 823D pup. I just looked and there is a fuse connected directly to the battery in the battery box on the trailer. The stuff in the trailer is working it is the running lights, turn signals, brakes lights and 12v power from the vehicle not working. Testing the vehicle side plug those things are not working. I thought about the ground but then the brakes would not work. I thought about the black box getting fried but then why no 12v?

I didn’t realize the black box needed power. The power for the box is connected to my 12v line. Rummaging around under the dash I found the fuse holder. There is a NAPA outside the Yellowstone entrance. On our way out of the park tomorrow I will pick up a couple fuses.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:13 PM   #5
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post

That re-settable fuse/circuit breaker should not have anything to do with the marker, tail or brake lights. Those are powered directly from the tow vehicle, not the trailer battery .
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring