Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2018, 12:17 PM   #1

Warranty for new pop up

Yes, I have spent the last hour reading several warranty threads but they contained old info and then got off topic pretty quickly.

I would really apppreciate input!

We are picking up our pop up (hw296) next Saturday and I want to be ready for the whole Warranty question.

1. What is the factory warranty on a pop up from FR?
2. Anyone know if FR is still offering some $150 2nd year warranty I read about?
3. Extended warranty? Thoughts? I have never bought one before for any purchase. Is it worth it? If so, is it best to buy it later at the end of the factory warranty or from the dealership?

I live in Las Vegas and there are really no dealers here. The one listed does not handle pop ups so I would need to travel a couple hours to get to one that will handle any warranty work

Thank you all again😀
Bushfamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #2

I am not familiar with pop ups and warranty.

I have read in several places the 2nd year warranty ended.

private after market warranties are peoples own choice. for as many yes's you will get the same number of no's.

my own opinion is they are not worth it or the companies would not be in business.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #3

We were told the warranty is 12 months. We were offered several different types and coverage of extended warranty's. They seemed awfully pricey to me but could be different at each dealer and what they offer. We were not offered a 2nd year factory warranty. We have the electric lift and that they said is warranted for the life of the camper. Lets hope none of us need the warranty anyway
bryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:44 PM   #4

Warranty for FR pop up RV's is 1 year. A 2nd year factory warranty is no longer available, they stopped offering it about 1 1/2 years ago. You don't have to take your RV back to a FR dealer for service, you can have warranty work done by an independent service shop BUT preauthorization is required for that and sometimes you have to pay for the service up front and be reimbursed by the factory, so you should always contact FR first to see if they will cover it by whoever you take it to. Extended warranty offered by many dealers is a big profit generator for them. I depends on your DIY ability as to whether it is worth it or not. I suggest you wait until the factory warranty is expired and then if you feel you need it go shopping for it and get competitive quotes and be sure to read the fine print.
Accessory products not manufactured by FR carry their own warranty and some products have 2 or 3 year warranties. The one year warranty is for everything made by FR.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
Site Team

Warranty is one year. As mentioned, 2nd year was discontinued.

You will get mixed responses from members on 3rd party warranties. Remember that the major appliances (AC, furnace, fridge, etc) are all covered under the OEM manufacturers warranty. Warranty work does not pay as well as standard hourly repairs, so you may be at the end of the line and miss using your PUP. If you are reasonably capable of repairs, you may be better off putting warranty money in the bank and paying out of pocket if needed. If you are someone who needs all repairs done by a dealer, a good warranty may be worth it. If you decide to get a warranty take it home and read it before signing. Many of them have so many exclusions or requirements that they are of little value.
Most of all enjoy your new toy.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #6

I'd look at Good Sam Extended Service warranty and not a dealer sponsored or factory warranty.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:10 AM   #7

Here is the warranty info from the owners manual. I just bought a 2018 Flagstaff 228BHSE last month. It's 1 year and I was offered an extension (3rd Party from my dealer) but felt it was pricey so I skipped it.

http://idn.tweddle.com/bundle/showIt...S&itemtype=PDF
FLJeepChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:19 AM   #8

We were told the extra year was no longer available. We had roof delamination issue early on. We waited till the warranty was almost op and took it in for a new roof and a few other things. It is currently at the dealer for the roof right now. The dealer did not recommend the third party warranties from his experiences.
Soft 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #9

Also be aware that some extended warranties REQUIRE you have "preventive maintenance" (PM) performed yearly by a qualified RV dealer in order to keep the warranty in force, and YOU have pay for it. So by the time you've paid for the warranty and several years of PM work, is it really cost effective anymore?

I vote NO on extended warranties. But I'm handy enough to fix most anything myself.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pop up, warranty