Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2024, 02:58 PM   #1

Water filter leak

Can’t stop water leak on filter canister or connections. Rockwood 2022 1940F. Considering bypass and just use water hose in line filter. Suggestions?
CampnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 03:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampnDan View Post
Can’t stop water leak on filter canister or connections. Rockwood 2022 1940F. Considering bypass and just use water hose in line filter. Suggestions?
Welcome, Dan, I see this is your first post.

Nice little unit, pretty well equipped!

It'd help if we can confirm where the leak actually was - from your post, it seems as though the filter is leaking at all three points (canister screw on, plus water IN and OUT). Canister usually isn't a leak problem unless it's (1) split, (2) not screwed on properly/tightly enough, or (3) you're using the wrong filter). If it's leaking now, drain everything, then take the filter canister off (seeing if it's misaligned at all) and try to re-seat appropriately.

The onboard water filter uses the exact same connections as the rest of the trailer, so there's nothing inherently weak/leaky about them that you can't address and - if you remove the filter canister - you'd just connect the two ends together (reducing your system by 1 connection, and the filter canister).

Plenty of people have bypassed/removed (and the factory has stopped shipping with the onboard filters/canister), so you're in good company if you choose to delete/bypass. Folks who go this route sometimes replace (or augment) the onboard filter with a blue torpedo inline filters at the city water/water fill source (though I don't think they are as good as the onboard filters).

Just my .02, hope this helps.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 04:26 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. This is the 2nd time it’s leaked and only 2nd time we’ve used the trailer. The first time leak was very heavy at the input side and to a lesser degree at the canister connection itself. The last time I tightened both input and output connections and it appeared to stop. Then I drained everything for winter and removed the filter cartridge. This spring I reinstalled the cartridge and tightened the canister before we went camping last week. The leak is very small and it was two days before enough water accumulated to run out from underneath the dinette seat under which the filter is located. Was afraid to try tightening more for fear of stripping or breaking the plastic fittings. I just put a towel under the filter and every day removed it and put in a dry one. At least we didn’t have water running out of the cabinet. Now that we’re home I’ll take it apart and check for cracks and experiment until I get it right.
We love the unit. Had a Lance travel trailer and a Tahoe to pull it when we lived in California. We down sized when we moved to NC and started tent camping as we sold the Lance before we moved. That got old fast so went to a unit we could pull with our Subaru Outback xt. It’s a got a turbo, lots of torque and pulls the Rockwood just great. I’m in my 80’s, wife is in her late 70’s so don’t want to start over again with big unit and big tow vehicle. Just want the water leak to go away��
CampnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 06:34 PM   #4

I have a 2020 Flagstaff HW27KS...I had a very pesky leak for the first year and tried everything to source it, until I finally realized that it was coming from under the slideout.

After researching, I discovered that soft vinyl water lines were clamped with Pex clamps, which are not suited for soft vinyl, only the hard vinyl lines they were designed for. I removed the Pex clamps from the water heater soft vinyl lines and replaced with standard worm clamps when I noticed it had also started to leak. Pex clamps are a PITA to remove.

I took the camper in for service at Camping World to get to the Pex clamps under the slideout replaced. I couldn't get to them easily enough.

No more leaks!!! That was the end of it. Finally.

You mentioned you noticed leaking coming from under the dinette...you should check for those Pex clamps, and if you have them, get rid of them.

Do a search on Pex in this forum and you can find the trails.

Good luck!

2020 Forest River Flagstaff HW27KS
2019 Chevy Silverado
Navarre, FL
Forrest Gump is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water filter