RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-27-2020, 08:11 PM   #1

Water heater in hw296

I just bought a 2020 rockwood highwall hw296. First pop up/camper purchase ever. I am clueless about the water heater. I am not sure how to drain the water heater. The dealer did put some water in the camper to check To make sure everything worked. I donít want that water to sit, so I need to drain it. How do I do this?

I am also confused on bypassing the water heater for winterization. The app by forest river has info, but itís not specific to the hw296.

ANy help?thanks so much!
Jpgoodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:18 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Check for a plug on the front of the water that takes an 1 1/16 socket this will remove the anode and drain the heater. I'm sure some of our very knowledgable pop-up folks on the forum will chime in with good advice.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:29 AM   #3

If anode rod is detereated replsce it. I tape a small hose to my shop vsc and suck out the flakey particles in bottom of water heater.Put teflon tape on new threads of rod . If threads are rusty I PUY A DAB OF ANTI-SEIZE ON THREADS . I dont drink the water so it doesnt bother me about antiseize contamination
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:34 PM   #4

Water heater in hw296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpgoodin View Post
I just bought a 2020 rockwood highwall hw296. First pop up/camper purchase ever. I am clueless about the water heater. I am not sure how to drain the water heater. The dealer did put some water in the camper to check To make sure everything worked. I donít want that water to sit, so I need to drain it. How do I do this?

I am also confused on bypassing the water heater for winterization. The app by forest river has info, but itís not specific to the hw296.

ANy help?thanks so much!

I live in Florida so I donít have to winterize my hot water heater. Depending on the type of water and hot water heater usage you should check and replace the anode once a year if needed. Follow SeaDog & Thomas hoís guidance!

I just changed my anode after 5 years. Most recommend you check and replace the anode annually.
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:48 PM   #5
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
If anode rod is detereated replsce it. I tape a small hose to my shop vsc and suck out the flakey particles in bottom of water heater.Put teflon tape on new threads of rod . If threads are rusty I PUY A DAB OF ANTI-SEIZE ON THREADS . I dont drink the water so it doesnt bother me about antiseize contamination
So the water goes through your faucets then you wash dishes, hands, bathe and cook with it. And the toxicity of regular antiseize still doesn't bother you? You have been told several times in these forums to quit promoting antiseize as a safe alternative to teflon tape.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:53 PM   #6

Release the pressure with the value BEFORE you remove the anode rod or you will get wet or better yet be hit with the rod. Warning ALWAYS stand to the side when you do this.

tigger68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:14 PM   #7

Lots of videos on YouTube. YouTube can be a great help for newbies. Good luck
PHILPOTTLAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:06 PM   #8

Teflon tape, antisieze?

Hi gang. Teflon tape comes in various grades, widths, and thicknesses. If the anode plug leaks, get a small container of Rectorseal T plus 2 pipe thread sealant. It does not harden and is potable water safe. You can also use it on your propane connections.
dilligf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #9

No need to replace the Anode Rod until it is used up !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
It's a BRAND NEW TRAILER.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater