RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-28-2018, 07:25 PM   #1

Water in water heater

After all these years I finally bought a pop-up with a water heater. Question is when not camping how long do you leave water in the water heater? Do you drain it after every trip? Leave it in till the end of the camping season? Or somewhere in between? Living in Florida my camping season is almost year around .camper is a rock wood 2516g.
Rocky2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky2018 View Post
After all these years I finally bought a pop-up with a water heater. Question is when not camping how long do you leave water in the water heater? Do you drain it after every trip? Leave it in till the end of the camping season? Or somewhere in between? Living in Florida my camping season is almost year around .camper is a rock wood 2516g.
I live in Pa, I fill it in the beginning of the season and empty at the end. My season is June to September.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:37 PM   #3

Thanks bilcin , useing what Little common sense I have I will probably drain it for sediment A few times a year since my season is so long I will probably only totally drain it in the remote chance we have a freeze ,I live in north central Florida and it does get down to freezing sometimes .
Old 06-28-2018, 07:38 PM   #4

Quote:

You wont harm the water heater by leaving water in it... The only reason you might want to drain it is so the water doesnít stagnate if left in there for long periods of time...Iíve got into the habit of draining my water system and water heater between trips for this reason..

Not sure how your water system is plumbed but most will have low water drains... If you open your sink spigots and the lower hot and cold low water drains, the water in the hoses and your hot water heater tank should drain out.

Its pretty simple so I figure why not do it....
Curt Trutrack WDH
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:54 PM   #5

I will have to double check almost positive I have a hot/ cold low drains . I know I have one on the water tank for sure.so it’s OK to just use the low point drains and not have to take the water heater drain plug out all the time?
Old 06-28-2018, 08:10 PM   #6

Quote:
I will have to double check almost positive I have a hot/ cold low drains . I know I have one on the water tank for sure.so itís OK to just use the low point drains and not have to take the water heater drain plug out all the time?
Rocky, I may be wrong but using the hot and cold low water drains will not empty the hot water tank, that probably has to be done by taking out the water heater drain plug. On my 2015 Palomino Puma 32dbks just opening the low drains will not empty the water heater itself. I have to take out the anode rod which essentially is the drain plug on a Suburban water heater. I hope you have a great time with your new pop-up trailer!

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:23 PM   #7

Bilcin , I will definitely check that out and yes this new popup feels like a coach compared to my old Starcraft with the hot water , potty , inside and outside shower ,slide out dinette , stereo , heated mattresses etc.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:47 PM   #8

Open the outside water heater cover there is probably a drain plug at the bottom.

For 35 years the only time I drain ours is at the end of the season.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:56 PM   #9
Site Team

Opening the low point drains and a faucet will drain the lines and the WH, BUT you should not do this as the WH drains out the cold water inlet and takes any crud in the WH out with the water. Some of the crud will remain in the lines until you recharge the system for the next use. It will then push the crud through the system until is gets stuck in a faucet or valve. If you are wondering about draining, fill a glass with water from your system. Let is sit in your camper until the next trip then decide if you are OK using it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:07 PM   #10

I live in central Florida... I have never drained my water heater on any of my RVís or any of my boats. You donít drink it plus it is only 5 gallons and is flushed pretty quickly by use. Also, if you donít drain it you canít burn up the heating element because you forgot to fill it before turning it on...
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:09 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I live in central Florida... I have never drained my water heater on any of my RVís or any of my boats. You donít drink it plus it is only 5 gallons and is flushed pretty quickly by use. Also, if you donít drain it you canít burn up the heating element because you forgot to fill it before turning it on...
This means you don't have an anode rod to check occasionally, right?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 108; booked = 32
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
This means you don't have an anode rod to check occasionally, right?
There is a difference between draining and maintaining... the op asked about draining frequency.
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 06-28-2018, 10:15 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
There is a difference between draining and maintaining... the op asked about draining frequency.
OK, to summarize: you never drain your heater but you do pull the anode rod for maintenance. Got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 108; booked = 32
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:19 PM   #14

Quote:
OK, to summarize: you never drain your heater but you do pull the anode rod for maintenance. Got it.

Youíre quick... you got it...
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 06-28-2018, 10:34 PM   #15

I drain after returning home from every trip..
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:45 PM   #16

drain the water heater and low point drains after every trip. super easy to do. new anode at the start of each season.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:09 PM   #17

Quote:

Quote:
Youíre quick... you got it...
I think Dan was being sarcastic. Proper method of draining the WH is by pulling the anode!!! If you're draining it without pulling the anode, you're doing it wrong.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:37 PM   #18
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
drain the water heater and low point drains after every trip. super easy to do. new anode at the start of each season.

You shouldn't have to change the anode at the beginning of each season unless you have very corrosive water where you camp. My anode has been in my WH since 2013 and is just starting to show a bit of deterioration. My previous TT was a 2005 and I never had to change the anode.
Attached Images

Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I think Dan was being sarcastic. Proper method of draining the WH is by pulling the anode!!! If you're draining it without pulling the anode, you're doing it wrong.
So, is sarcastic a good thing? From a Site Team Member? You two have been around here a lot longer than most of us so I donít want to get in a food fight with you.

I should have been clearer in my response to the OP. If Mr. Dan was concerned about my anode he should have have inquired about my maintenance scheme but he decided to be ďsarcastic ď.

So let me say this. I live in central Florida and I never drain my water heater unless I am maintaining my anode which for me is about every year from empirical results. I donít do after every trip. I donít winterize so I donít have a season . It wonít hurt leaving the water in the water heater as it flushes pretty quickly during first use as it is typically only 5-6 gallons. If you do drain it after every trip you are more likely to forget and turn on the element before you fill the water heater tank and burn it up. Not saying you will, but the odds are higher.

That all being said, Thanks for the reminder.. it is time to drain the water heater and check the anode...
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 06-29-2018, 05:19 AM   #20

If your low point drain lines are lower then the hot water heater and you vent your water system by opening a spigot that is higher then your low point drain lines it will drain the system, including the hot water heater. It might leave a little in there but since you aren't concerned with freezing, you don't have to pull the anode. The only time I pull my anode is once a year when I winterize. Apparently there are others who do the same here https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...r-31104-2.html

There is also a high pressure control valve on top of the heater which you can manually open that will help it drain faster.

One thing you definitely need to remember if you do decide to drain it is to make sure you fill it back up before you turn on or light the heater.. If there is no water in the tank and the heater starts, you could burn out the element.

Not sure if yours is electric and or propane, but if electric and you have a breaker on your panel, make sure you switch the breaker off when you drain it so next time out don't accidentally plug into power and fire the heater before you've connected up to city water or started the fresh water pump to fill it.

Happy camping!!
Curt Trutrack WDH
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater