RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-28-2019, 07:42 PM   #41

Not Picking Up Antifreeze

You said that you just installed the winterizing kit, did you make sure that the valve is installed correctly? If installed backwards it would react the way you say it is.
Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:23 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamperCanada View Post
I installed the camco pump converter kit. When I turn on the pump it's not sucking antifreeze from the jug. The valve is in the bypass position so it shod be sucking from the jug. Pic attached.
did you install the bypass on the suction side of the pump and in the right direction??.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:19 PM   #43

You DO NOT need to prime a diaphragm pump.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:02 AM   #44

Had the same issue. Turned out to be a leak at the clear hose attachment point on the valve. Doesn't take much air to break the syphon.
cgjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:20 AM   #45

As a few people have said, check that the suction hose has been fully tightened.

I just installed the same kit, and had the same issue. Camco says to only finger tighten everything, but that would not work for me. I had to use a wrench to carefully finish tightening the suction hose to the bypass valve.

I saw someone else said that they transferred the rubber o-ring from the cap to the suction hose. That may work also, but I don't think that type of connection is supposed to have an o-ring.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:27 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by campermatt View Post
As a few people have said, check that the suction hose has been fully tightened.

I just installed the same kit, and had the same issue. Camco says to only finger tighten everything, but that would not work for me. I had to use a wrench to carefully finish tightening the suction hose to the bypass valve.

I saw someone else said that they transferred the rubber o-ring from the cap to the suction hose. That may work also, but I don't think that type of connection is supposed to have an o-ring.
The Camco is supposed to have an O'Ring, Camco even sent me a replacement one before I noticed it was stuck in the cap.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:38 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by montelovers View Post
What I found with ours is that it won't really prime unless I have one of the faucets turned on to let the coolant flow.

^^^^^ agree.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:42 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
The Camco is supposed to have an O'Ring, Camco even sent me a replacement one before I noticed it was stuck in the cap.
Thanks! I learned something new then.

I'll have to get in touch with them and see if they'll send me one. Mine definitely did not come with one on the suction hose.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:59 AM   #49

I had written Camco before I found the seal looking for suggestions and this was their initial reply which could also be your problem. Check for looseness where the hose connects to the valve.

Hey James, my engineers found out that the hose and barbed end is sucking in air when the pump is turned on. I can provide you with a worm drive clap that you can apply to the end of the hose where the barbed end to the connection meet. Please advise, and provide me with your address. Thank you.

Rick Godsey
Camco Customer Service
121 Landmark Drive
Greensboro, N.C. 27409
800.334.2004 (x)28107

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:09 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabonder View Post
Had that problem in our freedom express last year. After pulling my hair out I took it back to the dealer. Turned out the valve was installed backwards. They corrected it and it works like a champ.
Same here. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that our new Cruiser RV Fun Finder already had a winterizing valve installed from the factory. I began to winterize it last year and after a very frustrating hour or so, I discovered the valve had been installed backwards. The best part is that I was pouring antifreeze into the bypass line trying to prime the pump. That antifreeze ended up in the fresh water tank.
sgillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:31 PM   #51

Quote:
I installed the camco pump converter kit. When I turn on the pump it's not sucking antifreeze from the jug. The valve is in the bypass position so it shod be sucking from the jug. Pic attached.
I had the same problem! The solution was way too simple. When I put the antfreeze hose on the 3-way valve I hand tightened it, and it maust have been sucking a little air. After I put a wrench on it it sucked anifreeze really well.

'17 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: 2017-39, 2018-61, 2019-64
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:39 PM   #52
Senior Gold Member

Quote:
No sure if anyone has replied to this but you will find that if the antifreeze jug is above the pump it helps and you need to have a faucet (tap) cracked open so that the air in the line can be pushed out and the antifreeze can replace it. Water pumps can't pump air..

Tags
antifreeze, pump, water, water pump