Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2017, 04:10 PM   #21
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartin453 View Post
We purchased our 2016 Rockwood Premier 2516G two years ago. We have two children 12 and 14. It does get a little tight inside when we all start moving around. Sleeping space is more than enough as it comes with a king size bed on one end, and a queen size bed on the other end. It also has a 7' sleeper couch and the dinette that also turns into a bed for smaller kids. [...]
Similar story here, with slightly different conclusions.

I had a 2007 Fleetwood (Coleman) Utah, which is similar to the 2516G. Difference is that I had 2 King bed pullouts and my galley was better positioned.

The slide out made it downright cavernous and I'd never buy an RV of any type without a slide out. It's that big of a game changer. I have four kids aged 16-8 and we fit great. In fact, a couple of times we slept 4 adults, 4 kids, 2 large dogs, and fit fine. I was always amazed at how much interior space there was.

Mine had the cassette toilet built in. I was neutral about it -- wasn't looking for one with the toilet, but didn't mind, either. In 6 years of camping, we didn't use it once. I thought maybe the wife and daughter would use it, rather than CG vault toilets. Nope. Never a single use. I'd much rather have had the storage cabinet.

A water heater was a must-have for me and I was certain that it would be important. Nope. Used it twice the first year we owned it and then never again.

Ours had A/C, which was on my "don't want" list. I nearly walked from the deal because of it, but I bought anyway. It was the standard Mach variety (probably 13-15K BTU). At best, it was a -15 degree cooler. That is, if it was 95 degrees outside, we'd be lucky to get the inside down to 80. It struggled to keep up with direct sunlight; did great when the sun went down (I never bough Gizmos, but those are supposed to really help). I'd rather not have had a hole in my roof and 100 lbs perched up top. These PUPs are all about the roof ... that goes bad and you don't have a trailer.

The point of listing these things is not to suggest that they're important or not important. The point is to note the uniquely individual nature of these features. The features that aren't important to me are invaluable to others. So, you'll have to sort of figure those things out for yourself, based on your own personal needs, opinions, and perspectives.

Interior storage and counter space are the things that are missing. But, it was a great trailer.

For a young family, you're thinking about this the right way. Probably like me (and others), you may find that things you thought were really important may end up not being so. But, it's good to have thought through the features and list the needs vs wants vs the don't-wants.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote