Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2021, 03:22 PM   #1

What is an AC prep port on a Rockwood pop-up tent camper?

Hi, I am new to the forums. I’ve looked all over the internet and don’t see the answer to this question: what is the AC prep port located near the shoreline port on my 2019 Rockwood 1950 RV? The port opens to an empty space behind the wall. I’ve attached a photo. Thanks for your assistance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9F6EA13A-90E5-4592-8E5E-0E4F66267BAA.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	252984  
RobMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:44 PM   #2

i am guessing that your pup did not come with AC installed. to power the AC, you have to plug it in- and the cord runs from that port to a plug in the roof/AC. So, it looks like the "prep" is that they provided the hole. (BTW, when i had my high wall popup - i often forgot to plug in the AC BEFORE I raised the roof - pain the patootee)
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:01 PM   #3

I thank you for the fast reply. You are correct, my pop-up comes with a “Fantastic Fan”. I bought this camper used and I will find out how well the fan works this summer. I may be posting more when it comes time to install the AC!
Old 04-27-2021, 07:18 PM   #4

If you have an outlet in the side of your roof similar to the photo, that would supply power to the Rooftop A/C unit. Sorry the picture is sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	920B9FEA-5E41-42EC-924B-EA4BAC3A0403.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	252999  
MohicanJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:35 PM   #5

your popup is ac ready, meaning it also has the supporting frame for the weight of the unit on the roof. you will need to contact rockwood support to get the diagram so that you wont mess up where youre gonna punch a hole into. did it myself, not that complicated. then that port youre talking about is how youll wire the ac unit into your trailer - from the outside. but ive also seen people running the power all inside the trailer by using stick on conduits then have the wire dangle on the inside (non hard wall portion) of the window then into the power source.
Kavoosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:07 PM   #6

A also have forgotten to plug in ac before raising roof I'm 6 foot and it's still a pain goog thing I have taller kids lol
jwh4984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:08 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have a lot to learn about this camper. Since I’m towing with a small truck I will probably try at least one year without AC before I tackle that project. It’s nice to know it’s AC ready, though I do not have a plug on the side of my roof.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:52 AM   #8

found this pic online that kind of matches what i did with my ac install back then. i opted not to run the wiring outside of the camper to at least keep it dry and away from the sun

Kavoosi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, rockwood, tent camper