Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2021, 05:35 PM   #1

What Material Is My Roof Made Of?

Hello Everyone,
I'm new here and just bought a 2003 Rockwood Premier 2576 pop up camper. There's no owners manual and I'm not sure if it would tell me if I had one anyways but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what material the roof is made of on my camper? It has a few small cracks and I'd like to look into repairing them properly but want to make sure I get the right supplies to do so. I've seen multiple videos on youtube and websites giving instruction on repairing cracks with the ABS/MEK patch method but I'm not sure if my roof will work with that method or not. TIA!
deltacamper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:56 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Give this video a watch it will tell you how to identify the material covering your roof.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltacamper88 View Post
Hello Everyone,
I'm new here and just bought a 2003 Rockwood Premier 2576 pop up camper. There's no owners manual and I'm not sure if it would tell me if I had one anyways but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what material the roof is made of on my camper? It has a few small cracks and I'd like to look into repairing them properly but want to make sure I get the right supplies to do so. I've seen multiple videos on youtube and websites giving instruction on repairing cracks with the ABS/MEK patch method but I'm not sure if my roof will work with that method or not. TIA!
Post some pics?

I have owned a 2016 and 2018 Forest River PUP camper . They are "vacuum formed plastic bonded" roofs.

That video is a roof with a flexible liner which is not likely what you have.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:38 AM   #4

Sea Dog, OP has a pop-up camper, not a TT.

Most pop-up campers I have seen, especially from the 2000-2005 era have "plastic" foam roofs or sheet aluminum.

In the plastic foam roofs, a sandwich of Royalex, polyethylene, or similar skin is glued/molded to a foam core (both sides of the foam core are skinned, sometimes with different materials on each side). Actual fiberglass was seldom used for the skin because of weight. Many canoes and kayaks are/were built the same way.

If the skin is not penetrated, the roof generally remains sound, despite the cosmetic blemishes of the scratches. However, water getting to the foam-skin joint would cause joint failure known as delamination. Cosmetic repair kits for surface scratches are available for canoes and kayaks - color matching is always an issue. Fiberglass resin and gel coat is an alternative, albeit with the same color match issues.

Coleman pop-ups were the leading user of this type of one-piece molded roof. Unfortunately, the molded roofs often weren't strong enough to retain their shape and needed metal bracing added. Improperly sealed penetrations for awning mounts, roof rack mounts, and air conditioners added to the failures.

On my Coleman, I ended up plugging the awing mount holes and fiberglassing with a thin layer of cloth to save the roof. When I remounted the awning, I caulked the holes and under the track.

Aluminum roofs are really an aluminum skin over a thin (very thin!) layer of plywood - usually glued together. Again, water getting in will damage/rot the plywood. This type of roof is actually easier to repair for a DIYer. Rotting plywood must be replaced, and the source of leaks fixed.

Robert's Sales in Denver really knows the Flagstaff/Rockwood pop-up line, and may be able to provide more and better information than I.

hope this helps
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2022 Kia Carnival minivan
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:02 PM   #5

Thanks somehow I glossed right over that.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:02 PM   #6

As long as I can remember, Forest River Pop Ups had Fiberglass roofs. They have the same texture and look as the aluminum sides but are made from thin fiberglass panels.

My 2005 Rockwood Freedom 2290 had a "Fiberglass Vacuum Bonded Radius Roof w/ No Center Seam" just as my 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g does.

Inside is foam along with maybe some bracing.

Here's what the roof material looks like when it's cut into, to install an air conditioner.
2024 Black Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude 4WD, 121" WB, 3.6L, 8 speed, Blacked Out Package, 265/50R20 wheels, 6,200# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof