Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2018, 02:35 PM   #1

Smile What’s your best mod/improvement to your popup trailer.

We just got a HW296. While we haven’t used it yet the gears of improvement are already turning. We replaced the little tv with a 24in tv. Fits perfectly and you can see it better. The factory tv is getting the bracket from the side hanging grill installed in it so it can be used outside. The grill will not be used. We have a sizzle Q we love. I’m also adding a bracket to the back of the hard wall bathroom in the bed area to hang the factory tv as well. A sewer mod is going to be next. I want the grey water to T in to the black water lake all other trailers. Since most of our camping will be hooked up I figure it’s just one less thing to worry about.
Haven’t got the wife onboard with gizmos or reflectix yet but I’m sure after our 1st early morning from the sun and heat she will want them. She would like to add a additional hanging wardrobe over the fridge. Anyone done that? I also want to add a ceiling fan directly above the bathroom. LED lights under the awning bag so when it’s out it’s also lights up. Speaking of awnings. How useable is it? We set it up once in a very light breeze and it was getting moved around more than I was comfortable with. Any awning tips? For the potty we’re stocking it with poo pourri. Want to figure a good paper towel holder. I think just a weighted one that stands up. I know the list will grow and grow.
Are there any “essential” mods I need to do?
Thanks everyone. I really enjoy this forum.
Itwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itwrx View Post
We just got a HW296. While we haven’t used it yet the gears of improvement are already turning. We replaced the little tv with a 24in tv. Fits perfectly and you can see it better. The factory tv is getting the bracket from the side hanging grill installed in it so it can be used outside. The grill will not be used. We have a sizzle Q we love. I’m also adding a bracket to the back of the hard wall bathroom in the bed area to hang the factory tv as well. A sewer mod is going to be next. I want the grey water to T in to the black water lake all other trailers. Since most of our camping will be hooked up I figure it’s just one less thing to worry about.
Haven’t got the wife onboard with gizmos or reflectix yet but I’m sure after our 1st early morning from the sun and heat she will want them. She would like to add a additional hanging wardrobe over the fridge. Anyone done that? I also want to add a ceiling fan directly above the bathroom. LED lights under the awning bag so when it’s out it’s also lights up. Speaking of awnings. How useable is it? We set it up once in a very light breeze and it was getting moved around more than I was comfortable with. Any awning tips? For the potty we’re stocking it with poo pourri. Want to figure a good paper towel holder. I think just a weighted one that stands up. I know the list will grow and grow.
Are there any “essential” mods I need to do?
Thanks everyone. I really enjoy this forum.
Thats an amazing popup! its HUGE!!
we came from a large popup similar to this one (2009 625D) and you will want the gizmos or reflectix. our AC would only keep the box cool (kind of) if we had the tent end curtains closed. we thought about lights under the awning on ours too, but the bag hangs down and we couldnt figure out a good way to mount lights that would not get messed up all the time. maybe some of the outdoor tape lights may work? we didnt use our much, needed a step stool or two to get the thing in and out of the bag once the camper is up. and forget about wind with it. for our current tt, we have a wet bath as well and we use an over the door plastic shoe organizer on the inside of the bathroom to hold tp and such. and on the outside, we hang a metal over the door shoe hanger for towels! its awesome. also, you can use another shoe organizer on your travel door if left in place, to hang wet shoes and boots!

also, use wax to wax the bunk rails/slides and lifting slides for the roof. we kept some of the smelly wax that you use in the warmers...scentsy i think it is? just the used left overs work great, or a candle.

plastic shoe organizer:https://www.amazon.com/Pack-SimpleHo...35865284&psc=1

towel/shoe rack: https://www.target.com/p/6-over-the-...3/-/A-53128986
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	travel door.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	182653  
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
Thats an amazing popup! its HUGE!!
we came from a large popup similar to this one (2009 625D) and you will want the gizmos or reflectix. our AC would only keep the box cool (kind of) if we had the tent end curtains closed. we thought about lights under the awning on ours too, but the bag hangs down and we couldnt figure out a good way to mount lights that would not get messed up all the time. maybe some of the outdoor tape lights may work? we didnt use our much, needed a step stool or two to get the thing in and out of the bag once the camper is up. and forget about wind with it. for our current tt, we have a wet bath as well and we use an over the door plastic shoe organizer on the inside of the bathroom to hold tp and such. and on the outside, we hang a metal over the door shoe hanger for towels! its awesome. also, you can use another shoe organizer on your travel door if left in place, to hang wet shoes and boots!

also, use wax to wax the bunk rails/slides and lifting slides for the roof. we kept some of the smelly wax that you use in the warmers...scentsy i think it is? just the used left overs work great, or a candle.

plastic shoe organizer:https://www.amazon.com/Pack-SimpleHo...35865284&psc=1

towel/shoe rack: https://www.target.com/p/6-over-the-...3/-/A-53128986
I’ve heard of the shoe holder in the bathroom is a must. I like the idea of hanging one on the travel door!
Anyone ever mount a holder for the hand shower head on the hard wall of their bathroom? That way your not constantly holding it.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:31 PM   #4

Loom into an Oxygenics shower head, more efficient than the lousy one from the factory.

https://www.amazon.com/ETL-26781-Whi...shower+head+rv

And a digital thermostat for your furnace. Better control. First mod I did when we had our HW popup. Your AC is probably controlled on the unit itself so a heat only one works fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-TH1...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #5

Our new 823d came with led lights mounted just above the molding on the bottom of the top. The awning bag if just barely above it. The lights work great. The awnings suck. We broke the front rail first trip out. Our old pup awning survived many large storms with no problems.
ekskp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:44 PM   #6

Adding the MORryde Independent suspension with Disc Brakes
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:14 PM   #7

I have added some things that are pretty much standard now but didn't come with mine; A 2 step entry
added a clothes hanger bar
a basket pantry over the sink
memory form on the mattress
put better velcro on the under side of the bunk ends
wife made me add a mirror on the door.
pretty much it. just small stuff but helpful
Old 08-08-2018, 08:19 PM   #8

Taking out the Girard hot water heater and replacing with a Suburban 6 gallon.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:41 PM   #9

regarding the awning - always anchor it down. We tied ours down with parachute cord and tent pegs. never found the awning flipped onto the roof after we started doing that.

We installed a wireless wifi camera onto the back of the camper, it used my phone as the monitor...i could always see behind me as we traveled down the road.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
regarding the awning - always anchor it down. We tied ours down with parachute cord and tent pegs. never found the awning flipped onto the roof after we started doing that.

We installed a wireless wifi camera onto the back of the camper, it used my phone as the monitor...i could always see behind me as we traveled down the road.
That happened to us the 2nd time we ever used our camper. We had the awning poles in the clips on the side of the camper, and the wind flipped it up on the roof. Thought we were ok cause there was no damage to the awning, but when we lowered the roof we found a hole. Always anchor it down to the ground now with 2 sets of pegs.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfire joe View Post
That happened to us the 2nd time we ever used our camper. We had the awning poles in the clips on the side of the camper, and the wind flipped it up on the roof. Thought we were ok cause there was no damage to the awning, but when we lowered the roof we found a hole. Always anchor it down to the ground now with 2 sets of pegs.
That’s horrible. Sorry to hear.
Do crank out awnings not work on popups? Is it too much stress?
Old 08-09-2018, 08:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itwrx View Post
That’s horrible. Sorry to hear.
Do crank out awnings not work on popups? Is it too much stress?
They might. just never heard of anybody using them, but even they would to be secured to the ground i would think.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:23 AM   #13

Get the PUGs (Pop Up Gizmos). They really do make a big difference in the inside temperature and in keeping the tops of the pop outs clean.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #14

Mods & upgrades to 2011 TT purchased prior to 2014 season...

2014: Maxxis tires & TPMS, Dynasty mattress, 2 MaxxAir fans, 42g water bladder & 42g Barker waste tote for dry camping.

2015: Fiberglass cap for truck, Awning hold-down poles (love), 2 WEN generators...

2016: Replaced failing Dometic 8 cu. ft. RV fridge with $300 Whirlpool residential (love), $150 2000W inverter & 2nd 12V battery. Added 2nd 30A input for future 2nd A/C plus color coded outlets so we can run appliances, etc. from any of the 3 sources....

2017: Tekonsha P3 brake controller (saved us 1X so far...)

2018: Replaced ANTIRE 4400 lb. axle, hub, 10" brake, spring assemblies with new 5200 lb. / 12" brake manufacturer take-offs purchased for $240 each from Tri-County Surplus, MI. Just pulled 4 hanger pins & installed w/new pins... Otherwise I would have had to pay a welder to replace a spindle, damaged by me, that was eating tires... Fiber-glassed wheel-well areas while up on blocks...

2019?: Probably install 2nd A/C now that wiring is in place...

FAVORITE MOD = Larger RV fridge for our family of 5
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rhino View Post
Mods & upgrades to 2011 TT purchased prior to 2014 season...

2014: Maxxis tires & TPMS, Dynasty mattress, 2 MaxxAir fans, 42g water bladder & 42g Barker waste tote for dry camping.

2015: Fiberglass cap for truck, Awning hold-down poles (love), 2 WEN generators...

2016: Replaced failing Dometic 8 cu. ft. RV fridge with $300 Whirlpool residential (love), $150 2000W inverter & 2nd 12V battery. Added 2nd 30A input for future 2nd A/C plus color coded outlets so we can run appliances, etc. from any of the 3 sources....

2017: Tekonsha P3 brake controller (saved us 1X so far...)

2018: Replaced ANTIRE 4400 lb. axle, hub, 10" brake, spring assemblies with new 5200 lb. / 12" brake manufacturer take-offs purchased for $240 each from Tri-County Surplus, MI. Just pulled 4 hanger pins & installed w/new pins... Otherwise I would have had to pay a welder to replace a spindle, damaged by me, that was eating tires... Fiber-glassed wheel-well areas while up on blocks...

2019?: Probably install 2nd A/C now that wiring is in place...

FAVORITE MOD = Larger RV fridge for our family of 5
Sounds like you've done some amazing mods so far! Have any photos of the larger fridge placement?
tcbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:49 PM   #16
Broken Toe

PUGs! #1 for sure!

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post

<<SNIP>>
x-2.

We do the same, and our awning withstands very strong winds during a thunderstorm. I found very bright yellow-patterned parachute chord at Home Depot. Really reduces the tripping hazard.

These are the minimum caliber tent stakes to use. And you can do better. Drive them at about a 30 degree angle and they hold really well. Use a trucker's hitch on the tie downs. This makes it easy to get them really snug.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:35 PM   #18

By far the best investment has been solar.
If you have a single group 24 12 volt battery, this system is perfect.

More batteries require more panels. The charge controller in the kit can handle up to 4 panels. I could go on and on about this system, but if I haul extra water, the only limitation on my length of stay when boondocking is the size of the black tank.

Next...get a hardware kit. Lots of screws, nuts, bolts and more along with gorilla glue to hold wood screws and loctite to hold nuts and bolts. If you go off road, things fall apart.

Speaking of off-road, the next valuable investment is a lift kit to give more ground clearance. The stairs, in particular, are very vulnerable.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #19

That is a nice PUP. Congrats. I mirror what others have said about the awning. We always tie is off with stronger ratchet stuff straps. I also use the screw or twist in stakes. Work must better the the straight ones on an angle.

And those gizmos are a must. Keeps the bunk ends 30 degrees cooler in summer sunlight. Also keeps interior darker, which allows kids to sleep in a bit longer 👍🏻

I made a set of those shelving untils over the kitchen and bedside table. Not sure if you’ll need those as you have more storage that our 625D, but they have made a huge impact on our camping. Just google shelving units in pop ups. And they will come up. Got the idea from pop up princess website.

I installed LED’s under our awning. They work great. Kids love them. I rave them under the bag. Then I used self stick Velcro in the lower part of the bag and awning itself. Just stick the lower part of bag onto the awning, and it out of the way to see the lights. I haven’t heard wires it yet. I still use an extension cord, but it does the trick.

Get a good tool kit with lots of goodies for repairs. An install a amp/volt meter. Good to see the stay on battery. Solar is always a good idea, even though we only camp at grounds, so we haven’t needed them so far.

Good luck and enjoy.
Dodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:32 AM   #20

2018 Flagstaff 206LTD. Since we do not dry camp first thing I did was tear out the 3-way fridge and replace it with a real unit. Found a Haier 1.7 cf unit on sale for $49. Fits right in the space. Took the indoor/outdoor stove top and mounted it in the flip over galley next to the sink. If I want to cook outdoors I have a sidekick grill. Used the piece of counter top I cut out to make a table to hang next to the grill. Then out with fresh water tank and pump. Now have more storage space. Reworked plumbing on sink so that both faucets now work when hooked to city/campground water.

Now if my dumb a##ed dealer would get me my replacement awning (torn seam on bag/ found during PDI), my free screen room (supposedly backordered) and get the parts Forest River says they will send to add the brakes to the unit that somehow were not put on at the factory, I will be happy.
Iowa Frogfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote