Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #1

What's this grill part?

On our last outing, the grill fell from the side of our popup as we were trying to light it. At first glance, it seemed ok, but then when we tried lighting it up again, we had a bit of a flame thrower going from the control valve. Luckily, no one was hurt, and we were able to shutoff the gas quickly enough that the only damage was the bit of the gas valve we found broken.

I'd like to repair the control valve, but I have no idea what to call the part I'm looking for. The part numbers on the control valve assembly are JDC081 and JAA021. So far though, I haven't been able to find anything online. In the attached photo, the arrow is pointing at the piece that I'm looking for.

Any suggestions on where I might be able to find one of these things, or at least what it's called? (I'll be trying to make a trip down to my dealer soon, but they're about 30 miles away, and I've got a suspicion that it'll be a lot cheaper if I can find one online.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1282.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	582.1 KB
ID:	180145  
JBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:41 AM   #2

1/8 inch brass nipple. It looks like it is broken off inside the valve.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:41 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Looks to be the orifice. Without it you would have a flame thrower
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:54 AM   #4

Go to Fleming outdoor.com u can replace the whole assembly for about $20
jwh4984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:56 AM   #5
Just as confused as you

AquaMan is correct. The nut part has a recess bored into it and is supposed to be where your arrow is pointing in the picture. You are going to have to replace the whole valve/orifice assembly. You cannot buy that piece by itself.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:19 PM   #6

This was helpful. Having a bit of a problem with flames jumping from the burner to the orifice area in the air-gap on my grill. About to take it apart to see what's going on. Hopefully just a partially plugged orifice or loose retaining nut, but this is instructive.

P.S. Rant coming. These grills are, in my opinion, shall we say, "junk." I may clean up my grill, make sure it's working as it should, and set it aside. I'm thinking of a Weber Q-series as a replacement along with a hose to adapt to a 20# propane tank (free-standing). The concept of the "camper grill" is good, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

I keep mine in a box on the floor inside my PUP. We boondock exclusively, and I've found mine rattled apart into pieces many times. The flame shield fell apart...the welds between the shield and the legs broke and I had to fix with screws. The handles rattled off...all three of them. The burner control retaining screws fell out. The burner itself literally disassembled itself in to parts.

Plus, the thing was a complete disappointment for cooking from the get-go. I love grilling, and as far as I'm concerned, this is one sorry excuse for a grill.

Since it's an expected part of the camper, I plan to restore mine and set it aside. I plan to upgrade to another type of camper in the near future, so I want this thing is good condition for the trade in. As for the new camper, if I buy from a dealer, this grill will be a "delete option." I won't ever buy another.

Here in Colorado, fire bans have become the norm. A good gas grill is no longer optional, because, during bans, even charcoal grills are not allowed. (I have a fabulous stainless steel folding charcoal grill I choose first if possible.)
I also have a propane fire pit. It works great and does not fall apart while driving down the road! So I always have at least one extra 20# propane tank "hanging around" to run the fire pit.

End of rant.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #7

If you are looking for a new grill take a look at the Blackstone Griddle. There are 2 different sizes for portable griddles, a 17" and a 22". I just bought a 17" since there is just 2 of us. I want to be able to fry bacon and eggs in the morning outside. Get the adapter hose for big propane tanks. There is another brand called Royal Gormet that makes a similar griddle so you may want to look at one of those also.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
You are going to have to replace the whole valve/orifice assembly. You cannot buy that piece by itself.
That's disappointing to hear - seems like a 75¢ part by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
These grills are, in my opinion, shall we say, "junk." I may clean up my grill, make sure it's working as it should, and set it aside. I'm thinking of a Weber Q-series as a replacement along with a hose to adapt to a 20# propane tank (free-standing). The concept of the "camper grill" is good, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.
I'm feeling pretty much the same way - I've only used this grill a few times, and it's yet to be an awesome experience. I'm also considering just picking up a Campchef with the RV hose adapter, and ditching this grill all together.
JBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:10 AM   #9
Ham Call N8SAC

I own a Rockwood Freedom Pop up . I will agree the grill is junk. Made of very thin medal. I don’t like the concept of a grill next to the sides of camper and under an awning. I use a grill from Sams Club . Even after a few years they tend to fall apart.
Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:46 AM   #10

Haven't had any issues with our "camper grill" yet. Used it a few times and does what we need.

Before we got our current rig, or when camping more than 2 or 3 days, we use our Weber Q2000 with portable stand and a griddle plate which replaces one of the grill plates. We've had this Q2000 for about 6 years and we're very happy with it. It is our normal house grill and sees use at least 4 days a week.
2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited
2011 Toyota Highlander LE
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 4LV6 DBL LB
nemolomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #11
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
Here in Colorado, fire bans have become the norm. A good gas grill is no longer optional, because, during bans, even charcoal grills are not allowed.
Thanks for pointing that out. Propane stoves and grills should be in every camper's kit for just such occasions.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:22 PM   #12

I just ordered a new valve to replace my "flame thrower" on the new and rarely used grill. After much research, I found the identical replacement at:
https://www.flemingsalesoem.com/prod...ve-wal7162023/
It's about $26 with shipping. I tried to order a replacement from the local Forest River dealer a month ago and have had no response...
LogCamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:30 PM   #13

If you have the brochure for the grill in your packet, that’s who i called for replacement parts. They actually sent me free replacement parts. I was shocked, but pleased. My experience contacting forest river manufacturing for parts is a joke. They will not call you back. Sounds like the RV distr is the same near you. Sorry to hear about your experience.
RetiredAFGal is offline   Reply With Quote