Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2020, 06:23 PM   #1

Which Controller Circuit Is Propane Detector Connected To?

In my new to me 2004 FR Flagstaff 206ST, I am installing a new propane/CO detector. Which circuit do I connect to on my WFCO 8712 controller? The PUP still had its original (2004) propane detector!! The positive wire had been disconnected, so it wasn't a simple wiring changeout. Thanks for your help! By the way, my PUP also still had its original (2004) tires and battery when I bought it earlier this year!!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:41 PM   #2
FLY4FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
In my new to me 2004 FR Flagstaff 206ST, I am installing a new propane/CO detector. Which circuit do I connect to on my WFCO 8712 controller? The PUP still had its original (2004) propane detector!! The positive wire had been disconnected, so it wasn't a simple wiring changeout. Thanks for your help! By the way, my PUP also still had its original (2004) tires and battery when I bought it earlier this year!!
Was the wire totally removed? Might it still be laying in there...and, still connected at the panel end? I can't access my trailer right now but will take a look tomorrow...can't recall if the detector fuse is labeled -- hopefully you'll have an answer before then. Sorry I can't be of help.
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:05 PM   #3

The red wire from the old propane detector was just laying there disconnected. The black ground was still connected. The dedicated controller circuits are “Main”, “Pump”, “Lights”, and “Accessories”. All of the wires from the controller are connected with wire nuts and all taped together in a rats nest wad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C81D75CA-6727-474F-915C-9CAD7D4D4578.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	238467  
Old 09-05-2020, 07:12 PM   #4
FLY4FUN

With the choices you apparently have, the "accessories" fuse would appear to be the best for sensor hook-up. I do recall that on my last RV there was a dedicated circuit for the LPG/CO detector & it was fused with a 7.5 fuse. Is there any way you might utilize an OHMs meter to identify the other end (at panel) with the red wire that's laying at the sensor mount area? It'd sure be nice to not have to pull yet another wire, but just utilize the wire that's already there.
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:25 PM   #5

You better buy new tires . You are asking for a break down. Check ECUSTOM HITCH ON LINE . Free delivery no tax. I got 2 tires on 13" rims d rated for 148.00.came in 4 days. no trip to get put on.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
You better buy new tires . You are asking for a break down. Check ECUSTOM HITCH ON LINE . Free delivery no tax. I got 2 tires on 13" rims d rated for 148.00.came in 4 days. no trip to get put on.
New tires, including spare, and a new battery were my first purchases!
Old 09-05-2020, 07:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14apex View Post
With the choices you apparently have, the "accessories" fuse would appear to be the best for sensor hook-up. I do recall that on my last RV there was a dedicated circuit for the LPG/CO detector & it was fused with a 7.5 fuse. Is there any way you might utilize an OHMs meter to identify the other end (at panel) with the red wire that's laying at the sensor mount area? It'd sure be nice to not have to pull yet another wire, but just utilize the wire that's already there.
The red wire I was refering to was was directly from the back of the old propane detector. There was no sign of were it was originally connected. It looks like devices were connected to the dedicated controler wires with a big wire nut. Probably, the old propane detector was one of many wires connected to the "accessories" wire with a single wire nut.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:13 PM   #8
Bob414

Love popup electrical systems. I have read in several places that the recommended maximum wires in a wire nut is 4. I had 7 in the ground wire nut, changed it to a ground bus bar system.

Bob
Retired Electrical Engineer
Bob414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
They disconnected the 12v supply most likely because the detector was beeping all the time. Connect your new detector to the 12v (red) wire and the others accordingly....Color to color.
2corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:11 AM   #10

Wire nuts have no place in 12v wiring
Just another place for frustration to strike at a later time.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:42 PM   #11

In the A-frame forum, which have systems that are similar to pop-ups, there is a sticky thread that lists what DC functions are on what circuit.

Both my A-frames had 6 DC fused circuits (fused at the circuit breaker panel).

One (30-40 amp because we have 35 amp converters) goes to the battery.

One goes to the fridge DC (15 or 20 amp).

one goes to the overhead lights and fan (goes through the cut-off switch that cuts off roof accessories when roof is folded down).

one goes to the heater, thermostat, and DC relays at the air conditioner.

one goes to the water pump

and one goes to everything else - stereo, night light, porch light, tongue light, propane/CO detector.

I don't remember what circuit the water heater DC controls are on.

When I replaced my converter/panel I took the opportunity to get rid of the rat's nest of wire nuts. I installed a ground (or negative bus bar) and connected all negative wires there. I also installed a positive bus for the circuit that has multiple items on it. That makes it a lot easier to add or remove an individual item.

There is no guarantee that your particular trailer was wired with the above conventions, but it's a starting point. The only way to know for sure is to pull fuses one at a time and figure out what is not working. Then document your findings!

I would put the propane/CO alarm on the circuit with everything else because I put in a positive bus bar. Then when the alarm goes off for a non-emergency (low voltage, end of life, dog farts, etc), I can remove the positive wire instead of cutting it (like I did the 1st time).

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, propane