Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #1

which wdh??

I'm looking for advice on which weight distribution hitch to get. I would be using it with a 2014 Rockwood 1910 being towed by a Ford Flex fwd. Any help would be much appreciated!!
next1051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:12 PM   #2

Not sure what you are planning on spending, but now that I have my ProPride hitch, I will probably never go with anything else. The comfort and stability of the trailer is unmatched. But at $2500, it's a lot to fork out.

I have my old (only used 1 season) Husky with dual friction bars if you are interested.
klarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:51 PM   #3

A WDH does not function properly on a single axle trailer such as yours. WDH function by forcing weight back to the rear axle of the double axle trailer and up the chassis of the truck to the front. Without a second axle to push back on the WDH will essentially do nothing for you, except cost money.

What problem are you having that you are thinking a WDH will solve? Maybe there is another solution.
TheJamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:37 PM   #4
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by next1051 View Post
I'm looking for advice on which weight distribution hitch to get. I would be using it with a 2014 Rockwood 1910 being towed by a Ford Flex fwd. Any help would be much appreciated!!
You don't need one. Besides, your Flex is probably equipped with a Class 2 hitch with a 1-1/4 inch receiver. You'll have a tough time finding a WDH for a Class 2 hitch simply because nobody makes them. They're not required for the load limits of that hitch (typically 3500 lbs trailer weight/350 lbs on the ball). Check the owner's manual for the Flex.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:02 AM   #5

The Flex has a class 3 hitch. 4500Lbs and 450 tongue weight. 2 inch receiver. I'm not happy with the rear end sag. I keep all the heavy stuff to the rear of the axle and dont load much in the front storage box. I'm not over loading the rear of the car either. I don't really want to add helper bags or air shocks. I thought a wdh would help.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:41 AM   #6
Just a member

Quote:
The Flex has a class 3 hitch. 4500Lbs and 450 tongue weight. 2 inch receiver. I'm not happy with the rear end sag. I keep all the heavy stuff to the rear of the axle and dont load much in the front storage box. I'm not over loading the rear of the car either. I don't really want to add helper bags or air shocks. I thought a wdh would help.
Roger that - I stand corrected. I forgot how big the Flex is. Don't see many around these parts (the one that nearly ran me off the road last year excepted). Still, your 1910, even loaded to the hilt, will not have enough weight to properly counteract the sag in the Flex through a WDH system and in fact could impart some undesirable handling characteristics in your camper. Unfortunately, the best solution appears to be the one you're not too crazy about.

All the best!

Old 07-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Unfortunately, there are quite a few posters in this section who have no recent or real world experience with PUPs and A-frames. Some of the information they post is misleading, or just plain wrong, because of the differences between PUPs and travel trailers.

You can certainly get a WDH for your Rockwood/Flex, and yes it will help a great deal with the back end sag, improve your ride, and help prevent sway (the most dangerous towing condition, IMHO). And yes, contrary to a post, WDH works just as well with single axle trailers as with tandem axle trailers.

I owned a 2000 Coleman Westlake (12ft box), towed with a 1993 Ford Explorer and no WDH - and it was miserable. Sway usually began at 62 MPH, and driving I-80 over Emigrant Pass (we camped at Lake Tahoe every summer for 8 years) was a white-knuckled experience.

Last year, we bought a 2014 Rockwood A122 (12ft box A-frame) to be towed by our 2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan). When I test drove the combo at the dealership (no WDH) as part of the delivery, there was pretty significant porpoising - rear of minivan and camper bouncing up and down - even at 25-30 mph speeds.

I went back inside, and talked to the parts guys, mechanics, and sales. They agreed on an Equalizer E2 600/6000, and installed it for $330, and dialed it in pretty well. The difference was phenominal - the minivan rode very close to stock, there was no sway in cross-winds at 75 mph, and the minivan rear end had a reasonable ground clearance. My wife was even comfortable driving while towing at 65 mph in 30 mph cross-winds across Nebraska on I-80 - and I slept while she drove.

The 600/6000 was chosen because there wasn't room on the trailer frame for the recommended installation position of the L-brackets that hold the bars. We ended up at about 28" (29"-32" recommended), so used the heavier 600/6000 instead of the 400/4000 model. Even then, the propane tank platform had to be raised an inch to install the brackets.

I would never tow a 2000+ lb camper with a soft suspension vehicle without WDH again - it really is that good.

Yes, they do make WDH for small rigs, and yes, they will likely do what you want. I have no experience outside of Equalizer, but I do enjoy the combined WDH and anti-sway of the Equalizer. It is very easy to hook up and remove by raising the tongue jack to relieve pressure on the bars.

The 2 drawbacks of the Equalizer are the weight of the hitch head, and the groaning of the bars in the brackets while cornering at low speeds (never heard above 25 mph). But the groaning sound means the anti-sway is working, and I'm good with it.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 (typical actual tow weight of 2700 lbs)
2008 Hyundai Entourage (3500 lb tow rating)
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:57 PM   #8

I second that. Being new to this Pup thing I wanted to wait till someone else got in here to verify or dispel the notion that a WDH system would be beneficial. I have the Equalizer 600/6000 installed on a HW276 that loads out at around 3800. I have no doubt mine does in my application and thought some of the responses were a bit off in their assessment.

Greg
Tree Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:58 PM   #9
Just a member

OP, it appears that Fred has perhaps touched on a solution that may work for you. Many of the WDH suppliers do manufacture so-called light duty WDH systems but they usually bottom out for trailer weights of 4K lbs. Nevertheless, it might be worth some poking around although I'd be hesitant to put on 600 lb WDH bar on a camper with a 300 lb tongue weight. Ball's in your court.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:19 AM   #10

Good info Fred, and thanks for the correction.

As for real world experience, I only have this:

I owned a 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 and a 2015 Rockwood Premier 2317G. After driving to Outer Banks from Ohio I returned to the dealer and asked if I was a candidate for a WDH, as I noticed some porpoising and rear end sag on my truck. THEY were the ones who told me that WDH rely on having the rear axle of a dual axle trailer to work properly. THEY explained that with nothing behind the single axle to force weight on to then I would basically be paying them for snake oil. They said they'd be happy to take my money and install a WDH, if it would give me piece of mind, but it wouldn't actually be doing anything. That said, they did ask me if I had any issues with sway, which I did not. They said if I did have sway issues then a WDH with sway control would be appropriate, not to distribute weight, but to combat the sway.

So, that's where I based my reply on, just passing on information I got from a Rockwood/Equal-izer dealer :/
TheJamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #11

Unfortunately, THEY were wrong. If they are using the WDH to get the tandem axle camper level when towing, they are sort of correct.

Without WDH, the rear end of the tow vehicle sags under the tongue weight. The entire camper tongue weight is on the tow vehicle rear axle plus a little weight is transferred from the front to the back by virtue of the sag (softer rear suspension is impacted more than a stiff truck).

The WDH transfers weight from the back axle of the tow vehicle to the tow vehicle front axle (mostly) and to the trailer axle(s) (a little). This allows the tow vehicle to ride as designed for proper steering and handling on the road.

A single axle trailer is much more susceptible to sway than a tandem axle, and a sagging rear end will cause the trailer to sway even worse (I learned by moving the trailer axle position on a boat trailer, where there is no WDH). Anti-sway is very nice to have if you have ever experienced sway.

If the tongue wieght of a PUP/A-frame is small in comparison to the tow vehicle's tonque weight capacity, WDH is really not needed. An example is a PUP behind a 3/4 ton truck. OTH, if the tongue weight is near the capacity of the tow vehicle (true for most PUPs/A-frames towed by 6 cylinder SUVs/minivans), WDH is highly beneficial.

Equalizer (there are other makes that do the same) has a combined WDH/anti-sway in sizes to fit.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan) with Equalizer 600/6000
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:39 AM   #12
Just a member

Quote:
I'm not happy with the rear end sag.
OP, where are ya? Saggy rear aside, how does the camper track behind the Flex? Issues with sway? Porpoising?

Old 07-22-2015, 04:19 PM   #13

I use the Equalizer system as well and like it very much. I did not tow my first HW pop up without one so I cannot compare experiences. I bought it based on stories here of bad experiences towing things. I have found the experience of towing to be stress free. Not sure I could say that if i did not have some sway control.

My previous pop up had a very large front bin. Empty bin and the tounge was close to 600 lbs. I called the company and they recommended the 1,000lb for my trailer based on the bin and bikes I load on top of the bin.

My new pop up has a lighter tounge but I still use the hitch system for its anti sway properties and like the feel of it.

I too would not tow anything with just a ball. But I am a conservative person.

JMHO.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:20 PM   #14

Thanks for all the info and opinions. I think i am going to go with the Curt Tru Track system. I appreciate all the help.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:09 AM   #15
Just a member

Quote:
Thanks for all the info and opinions. I think i am going to go with the Curt Tru Track system. I appreciate all the help.
A contentious issue. Let us know how it works out.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:58 AM   #16

why dont you want airbag's or helper springs?
I have an Xterra, they have inherently weak leaf springs, and with no trailer just gear you get a rear end sag, however I had 2 options install airbags, or replace the leaf springs with something much stiffer.
I opted for air bags, as when i am not towing, i air them down and get a normal ride, when i hitch up, I air them up till its level and off we go.
the cost of the airbags was about $200 less than the new springs and was easier to install.
Id give them a look
swimmarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:53 AM   #17

WDH works GREAT on single axle pup.

I used this one for many years on a coleman utah:
Reese 66071 Light Duty Weight Distributing Kit Single Bar for Pole Tongue Trailers Camper Trailer RV.
I also had the reese flat bar sway control with this setup.

I now use this one on a rockwood 2514G:
Reese SC Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion - 10,000 lbs GTW, 600 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66151

It works great also but much noisier during turns.
I had to insist since the dealer said I did not need wdh. He was wrong, IMHO.
The single bar would have required major modification to the plating in the center of the tongue A-frame.

The single bar light duty uses a hollow drawbar making it a lot lighter.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:42 PM   #18

I decided to go with air springs. Once they get here and i install them, I'll let you guys know.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:08 PM   #19

I've had the air springs installed for a while now and finally went camping this weekend. Big difference!! I'm very happy with the results.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2015, 11:43 PM   #20
Just a member

Quote:
I've had the air springs installed for a while now and finally went camping this weekend. Big difference!! I'm very happy with the results.
Excellent, good news! So what swayed you to supplemental suspension components as opposed to the WDH solution you originally targeted?