Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2017, 08:39 PM   #1

Why I like my PUP

I saw a recent post on why people switched to a TT and why they like them better than PUPs. So far I’m not overly interested in a TT, although I can certainly understand the appeal. Maybe when I get older I will consider a TT. Some of my reasons for liking my PUP.

1. It is much easier to tow and better on gas mileage. My Flagstaff Classic 625 is not narrow or light but is shorter and has much less wind resistance than a TT weighing the same. Also, I can mostly see over and around my PUP so I don’t need extension mirrors.

2. Air flow is incredible. I have never felt the need for an air conditioner in a PUP, although I haven’t taken it to Utah or Arizona yet. Simply zip down the windows and let any slight breeze blow through to cool it off. It can be more comfortable than sitting outside.

3. No AC means a single 100 watt solar panel provides enough power to charge my batteries when I don’t have access to shore power.

4. We have a King and Queen bed, plus the dinette and couch make into beds. For the same size a TT often only has a full-size bed and a dinette that folds down. If you really had as many people as would fit in a PUP, though, you would need another vehicle to carry the luggage!

5. Easy in and out of sites. Being smaller, it is easier to fit into tight spaces. It is also easier to level.

6. I can throw my holding tanks into my tow vehicle if they need dumped during a trip. Of course, they are also smaller so they may need dumped more often.

7. It is pretty simple overall. It wouldn’t be difficult to replace, rebuild or repair almost anything in my PUP.

Some disadvantages, though.
1. Less storage space because it has to collapse down so I have to think more about the extras I carry and even the bedding.
2. Minimalistic appliances. The refrigerator is tiny and I don’t have an oven or microwave. At least the stove and BBQ are as nice as a TT.
3. It takes longer to set up and tear down a PUP than a TT.
4. No built-in holding tanks so I have to carry my own. I also don’t have a sewer drain.
5. Let useful in cooler weather because the heat doesn’t get to the tents and the canvas doesn’t retain much heat.
6. My black water tank (cassette toilet) is much smaller than that of a TT. Most PUPs don’t even have that.
7. Travel trailer awnings are a much better design than PUP awings.
8. In a pinch you could pull off the road and use the bathroom in your TT if it doesn’t have slide outs in the way.
Myron625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:34 PM   #2

Love the feeling when all the curtains are open and the bunkend windows unzipped. 360 nature.

Hate packing up wet and having to go home and put it back up to dry.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:40 PM   #3

We can agree with all of your observations. We finally left our beloved PUP behind when the need for midnight potty visits became mandatory.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:59 AM   #4

Tent trailers don't have that "I'm in a cracker box" feeling that a lot of travel trailers have. I feel claustrophobic in most of them. Being closer to nature and being able to see outside is a huge thing for us. I might consider a nice hybrid one of these days.
JBinNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron625 View Post
I saw a recent post on why people switched to a TT and why they like them better than PUPs. So far I’m not overly interested in a TT, although I can certainly understand the appeal. Maybe when I get older I will consider a TT. Some of my reasons for liking my PUP.

1. It is much easier to tow and better on gas mileage. My Flagstaff Classic 625 is not narrow or light but is shorter and has much less wind resistance than a TT weighing the same. Also, I can mostly see over and around my PUP so I don’t need extension mirrors.

2. Air flow is incredible. I have never felt the need for an air conditioner in a PUP, although I haven’t taken it to Utah or Arizona yet. Simply zip down the windows and let any slight breeze blow through to cool it off. It can be more comfortable than sitting outside.

3. No AC means a single 100 watt solar panel provides enough power to charge my batteries when I don’t have access to shore power.

4. We have a King and Queen bed, plus the dinette and couch make into beds. For the same size a TT often only has a full-size bed and a dinette that folds down. If you really had as many people as would fit in a PUP, though, you would need another vehicle to carry the luggage!

5. Easy in and out of sites. Being smaller, it is easier to fit into tight spaces. It is also easier to level.

6. I can throw my holding tanks into my tow vehicle if they need dumped during a trip. Of course, they are also smaller so they may need dumped more often.

7. It is pretty simple overall. It wouldn’t be difficult to replace, rebuild or repair almost anything in my PUP.

Some disadvantages, though.
1. Less storage space because it has to collapse down so I have to think more about the extras I carry and even the bedding.
2. Minimalistic appliances. The refrigerator is tiny and I don’t have an oven or microwave. At least the stove and BBQ are as nice as a TT.
3. It takes longer to set up and tear down a PUP than a TT.
4. No built-in holding tanks so I have to carry my own. I also don’t have a sewer drain.
5. Let useful in cooler weather because the heat doesn’t get to the tents and the canvas doesn’t retain much heat.
6. My black water tank (cassette toilet) is much smaller than that of a TT. Most PUPs don’t even have that.
7. Travel trailer awnings are a much better design than PUP awings.
8. In a pinch you could pull off the road and use the bathroom in your TT if it doesn’t have slide outs in the way.
Agree 100% with everything said. That's why I settled on the hybrid!!!
wardster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:21 AM   #6

Nothing can compare to the openness and "almost renting" feel of popup camping. We had a TT and are now happily in a 228...for all of the positives stated!
kraftengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:31 PM   #7
peaceparson

We're in our third PUP. First was a '73 Steury--vintage when we bought it. We loved it! No cassette toilette, sink, or fridge. Just beds, & stove. No crank. Lift top. Took the whole family to get it in place. We still could have it up and ready to sleep in in 12 minutes. After 5 seasons, we sold it and bought a '95 Skamper. A bit smaller, and cranked up. That one had a sink, stove, and ice box (NOT a working fridge). We took it all over and used it 5 seasons. Sold it when the cable broke and bought a 2002 FR Flagstaff model 823. Crank-up, Cassette toilette, sink, stove, 3- way fridge, and grill. We don't use the awning, but we're in our 5th season with it and still love it. Our average trip is 15 nights. This year we put a total of 6400 miles on it--to Denver, then Yellowstone (over the Teton Pass), and through Montana into the N.D. badlands, before returning to NE Indiana. We don't use interstate highways--too fast. We pull behind our new (for us) Town and Country--2016. I don't anticipate "trading up" to anything but another PUP, but this one has several seasons left in it before we even consider doing that. We, too, enjoy the "openness" of a PUP, as well as all the other advantages already mentioned. One thing that I can't imagine doing is putting a television in the thing. That's one of the bits of everyday life I travel to get away from. I might think about an outdoor shower, but only if I can install it simply and not add a bunch of work. Happy camping!
peaceparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:48 AM   #8

We enjoyed ours while we had it. Our two kids though are getting older and bigger and will eventually want to bring friends. That coupled with the family dog and things get crowded in a hurry, especially on those rainy days. Trips to/from the bathhouse were getting old as well. I eventually also began not to enjoy camping as much because all I thought about was departure day and the work involved breaking down everything and hoping and praying the canvas would be dry so I wouldn't have to pop it up again to dry out when we got home.

I do miss having the pup tucked in my garage where now I have to pay for TT storage.

I still enjoy coming on this forum and contributing where I can.
spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:37 PM   #9
txkreddog

While we now have a TT, we often share fond memories of our two previous popups. Ease of setup/takedown are what motivated DW and I to move up, but we still miss the good times we had with our pups.
txkreddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:58 PM   #10

I'm new to the pop up world, but so far I love it. I used to tent camp years ago, but no longer want to be on the ground. Things I like:

1. It's off the ground
2. I can cook inside or outside
3. I have a false sense of better protection. LOL
4. The dogs are more comfortable
5. Most importantly, I have a toilet...and a shower inside
6. I love the openness...I almost feel like I'm still in a tent (but with comfort)

So far, it seems to be about the same amount of work as tent camping, as far as pitching and packing up.
LilHorse&buggy is offline   Reply With Quote