Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2018, 03:59 PM   #41
USN SCPO, Retired

But my Starcraft Pop-Up has a shower/holding tank and cassette toilet, so that analogy does not work unless the campground owner is behind the times...

Fladitchdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:11 PM   #42

probably because of two things: they are more-or-less tent camping, and they are usually not 'self contained'(toilet, black tank, etc), as some parks require.

of course, you could always call and argue you case, but I imagine they have rules in place for good reason.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:24 PM   #43

Happy to see so many feel too good to be in resorts, more room for me. I've been beside PUs and Prevosts and all are just people like the rest of us. I've also been in a CG that only permits MHs and 5ers less than 10 years old. Neighbors are no different there, actually it was a nice 3 months. BUT, we are older travelers and really only camp 25% and explore 75% of the time. Stay in what you are comfy in, a PU or Prevost. We find a 43' 5er perfect for the 2 of us and a small dog.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:27 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Traveler View Post
I think the no-popups rule is to keep usage of the showers/toilets in the bathrooms down somewhat. With popups everyone in the unit is traipsing through the bathhouse multiple times a day; with self-contained units the usage is cut way down. Fewer bathhouses needed, less mess to clean. We have often stayed on Galveston Island and the resort does not allow popups. They only have four individual toilet/shower units for the entire resort so I can see what the issue would be. We have a self-contained unit but I prefer to use the bathhouse unless the weather is very cold -- just really like unlimited hot water!

We have a seasonal site and many of our fellow seasonals use the camp toilets and showers. Why I don't know, but they do. To each his own, I guess.

Cheers

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky2018 View Post
You couldn’t give me a site in one of those snob holes .I mean really unless your a full timer todays rigs are way over extreme , one has to ask what is camping really? If I or the group I run with need 5 slide outs , recliners, 80 inch TVs etc we will just stay home.Most of those people you never see outside of their palaces anyway unless they are going out to dinner....
Don't paint with too broad of a brush now. We are one of those that have a 42' fiver with 5 slides and a huge TV.

We started with a pup but eventually moved up. When we bought the fiver, I was working at a job where I got no PTO but my wife was getting 2 weeks worth of vacation time. So our "vacations" were simply spending a week at our seasonal site while I still went to work every morning.

When it including bring our 3 kids, plus a handful of their friends, it got a bit tight.

Now our situation has changed a little and we still have it, but it's hard to give up the space once you are used to it. We don't begrudge those with smaller trailers though. My wife has remarked that it would be nice to have one on the few times we want to go somewhere else for a weekend. Until then we simply get our money's worth by spending every single weekend in our behemoth.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:36 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
probably because of two things: they are more-or-less tent camping, and they are usually not 'self contained'(toilet, black tank, etc), as some parks require.

of course, you could always call and argue you case, but I imagine they have rules in place for good reason.
Calling and complaining might let them get in, but it wouldn't necessarily get them any hospitality. In most cases, I'd rather just not stay where I'm not wanted anyways.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:38 PM   #47

Quote:
You couldn’t give me a site in one of those snob holes .I mean really unless your a full timer todays rigs are way over extreme , one has to ask what is camping really? If I or the group I run with need 5 slide outs , recliners, 80 inch TVs etc we will just stay home.Most of those people you never see outside of their palaces anyway unless they are going out to dinner....
Too funny you should say that. We saw a big RV a few weeks ago up in the N. Georgia mountains, I think a Monaco. They pulled in, guy got out hooked up the power, water & sewer and went back inside. The slides were deployed from inside, the auto level pads were extended from inside. We didn't see them or hear them for three days. Came out to unhook water, sewer and electric just before pulling out. No campfire, no smelling the mountain air, no hiking... In their defense maybe they were on their honeymoon and didn't need anything else.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:42 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Calling and complaining might let them get in, but it wouldn't necessarily get them any hospitality. In most cases, I'd rather just not stay where I'm not wanted anyways.
You are so right.
True with anything in my life... I'm not going to protest you, I'm not going make a suit against you. If I'm not welcome I don't want to be there. If you don't want me, my kind or my business, I'm sure as heck not going to beg you or make you accommodate me.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:05 PM   #49

If it's for reasons of keeping down the amount of people that urinate/defacate at their campsite or dump grey water, I'm all for it. I have been to a lot of forest service campsites in MT and even though many have vault toilets, a lot of people take that as a warrant to crap and piss wherever they like. I have seen many beautiful places contaminated and over-run with bugs from gray water dumping. These are "wilderness" areas, god only knows what happens in more crowded places.

Perhaps this isn't the best way to enforce the rules and etiquette, but if you don't have a toilet in your rig, that waste has to go somewhere. Don't leave it for the next camper. Unfortunately, the few deplorables ruin everything for the masses.
DNA Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:10 PM   #50

Quote:
Well. Talk about snobs!

I do stay home. This camper IS my home, 200+ days a year. Sometimes it snows, rains, or I'm sick.

Good grief.

I love popups. Had one next to us a couple days ago. Just us two. Had a great time.

How some folks made a jump from "Some campgrounds don't allow popups" to "Everyone with a bigger trailer than mine is a big snob", just floors me.

What is it with some folks? Is Communism THAT attractive?

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:36 PM   #51

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but don't most pop ups come with 'wings' (the beds that fold out on the side)?
On certain areas of the Gulf Coast, the winds can be unpredictable and strong which might make those 'wings' create an unstable situation for the pop up. Most places on the coast tell you to retract your awning when you leave the rig unattended for the same reason.
Our hard sided unit has literally 'rocked' on the coast when one of the frequent storms rolled in.
So it might not be a 'snobbery' situation. Even without 'wings', a canvas side would be a bit like a sailboat sail. The Texas coast has frequent local storms with lots of wind.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:59 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but don't most pop ups come with 'wings' (the beds that fold out on the side)?
On certain areas of the Gulf Coast, the winds can be unpredictable and strong which might make those 'wings' create an unstable situation for the pop up. Most places on the coast tell you to retract your awning when you leave the rig unattended for the same reason.
Our hard sided unit has literally 'rocked' on the coast when one of the frequent storms rolled in.
So it might not be a 'snobbery' situation. Even without 'wings', a canvas side would be a bit like a sailboat sail. The Texas coast has frequent local storms with lots of wind.

nope - i have been in 50 mph winds with our highwall popup. the camper was steady but boy the tenting sure was flapping all night. the resort campgrounds that do not allow popups simply don't want them there. no other reason.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:47 PM   #53

Iwritecode ,bandjcarm .like I said unless your a full timer . Normally the nicest people in the camp ground are the full timers , most of them at least the ones I have run acrossed have started in tents popups or small travel trailers and somewhere along the line sold everything and made the jump to the big RVs full time.
Rocky2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:04 PM   #54

We all start small and move up.

There is a campground near Clarion, PA on Rt 66 which only allows Airstreams. I stopped to see if we could camp in our Rockwood Signature fifth wheel and they said, "Nope, not unless you're with some folks who have an Airstream."

So I just don't go where I am not wanted. My money spends quite well in other places. That's an easy call.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:21 PM   #55

Class A coaches only? Have these folks ever taken a look at some of the Super C coaches? And our lowly 5er isn't half bad either.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:33 PM   #56
(Dry Huunday)

Well. The best thing is if you don't like a Campgrounds policy, no matter what it is, you don't have to give them your money. It's not worth a seconds thought.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:39 PM   #57
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyduo View Post
That was my guess as well.
The correction was there, at the bottom of the post.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:48 PM   #58
USN SCPO, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
So it might not be a 'snobbery' situation.

Trust me...as a Gulf Coast natiive, the wind is not an issue...It is all about the "look down factor". And a seasoned RV'er always retracts the awning, least they get a boater to retrieve what is left of it from the lake...

Old 09-04-2018, 07:55 PM   #59
USN SCPO, Retired

A lot of good comments on this subject, and some very valid points, but nobody has given a valid reason for banning RV's over 10 years old...My inlaws Newel is 12 years old and looks brand new, but I guess the $300,000 value is not good enough for the Glampers...

Old 09-04-2018, 07:58 PM   #60
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fladitchdoc View Post
A lot of good comments on this subject, and some very valid points, but nobody has given a valid reason for banning RV's over 10 years old...My inlaws Newel is 12 years old and looks brand new, but I guess the $300,000 value is not good enough for the Glampers...
It's my understanding it's not the glampers who make the rules but the owners of the park/camp.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote