RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #81

[QUOTE=SunseeKing;1918597]I think he may have meant "coast" of Texas.[/QUOTE. I believe he said coast.
desuhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:00 PM   #82

Stay at state parks.... Better than private parks in Michigan anyhow. Lots of pop ups at state parks.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:08 PM   #83

What this forum needs is a special section called “Snob Sites.” Members can list those RV sites that discriminated based on equipment, age, or race, of customers. That might help both the land yacht owners as well as the regular folks who enjoy the RV lifestyle with their family regardless of equipment, age of family members, or their cultures or race. I have run across two or three of these RV sites, while qualified to stay there with my equipment and family, once I learned of their discrimination against good people seeking RV parking for their families, I wouldn’t stay there if they paid me. No thanks needed from folks who frequent these places. A very disgusting situation as an American citizen and RV enthusiast. These places need to be recognized for their discriminatory policies and I am sure they would appreciate the recognition.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:54 PM   #84
Site Team

The OP hasn't posted on the Forum since they started this thread.
Be nice if they came back to clarify.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:19 PM   #85

I suspect that the privately owned RV parks that ban pop-up trailers and tents do so because of legal liability concerns. Those who camp in soft-sided, pop-up trailers or tents are more subject to intrusion, property damage, and/or injury from wildlife, such as black bears, Grizzlies, deer, elk, or moose.

We learned that lesson while camped in our pop-up trailer at Red's Meadow near Mammoth Mountain in California when a black bear Momma and her cub sauntered into our campsite, climbed into a nearby trash dumpster, and commenced to throw everything out of the dumpster in search of food. Our large Yellow Labrador nearly went wild trying to get out of our tent-trailer to make friends with the bear cub. Fortunately, I was able to confine her in our tow vehicle until the bears left the area.
Jakie-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:28 AM   #86

Getting too hoity-toity

I agree Splitshaft.
Almost booked a site at one of those places close to us. After reading the rules on their Website we decided not to. Would rather be with tents, tent trailers, travel trailers, 5th wheels or Motor homes regardless of year, looks or occupants.
Getting Outdoors isn't like what it used to be. Getting too hoity-toity.
We started in a Tent, moved to a Tent Trailer, Motor Home, Travel Trailer and now a Fifth Wheel. Are we any different from when we were in a tent to where we are now, definitely not. It's a preference and what makes you enjoy the outdoors. We RV for the outdoors to get away from this stuff.
No ill regards against the privately owned segregation RV parks but think they are missing the big picture.
Stayed at a full hook up RV Park in Stettler, Alberta (Prairie Junction) a couple of weeks ago that in my opinion was a Five Star+. They did not ask what we have or for a resume. They even have tent sites along with other amenities. It was phenomenal. The site was quiet without issues. No wonder they are so busy.
Just trying to say we have a lot of other places that will accept us commoners.
Let's move on and stay clear of segregation...Happy Camping!
Arnie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:03 AM   #87

Really. ...what part of a pop up has a tranny or a motor with to many miles.....
Susanmcnabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #88

It's interesting reading everyone's take on the rules CG's have and how they interpret people due to what they own. So let me tell you what my take is on this. First of all, we ( my DW and 2 young Sons) wanted to go camping. My Mom and Dad owned a cabover camper back in the late 50's/60's and as a kid I loved camping. Our first "camper was a 70 Dodge van I converted to a camper-van. On our first trip to Yosemite, we were having fun. Then it was time to go to the camp showers. There were a LOT of people. There was a tiled center section with showers on both sides. In the middle was a drain or two that had been plugged. As I got closer, I realized that there were several dirty diapers plugging the drains and that made the water level go up and over the center. I immediately got out of line and decided my feet were not going in that mess.
That was the trip that made me get my next camper - a 10 ' Dreamer overhead camper on my old dually. Then I went to a used Toyota Dolphin motor home, a new 21' Weekend Warrior. One day, we decided to buy a new class A Georgetown. I would love to have one of those diesel pushers, but just can't afford one. I guess my point is . . . we buy what we can afford. We camp where we are allowed . . . and for me the highlight is camping in the desert in the winter and taking rides in my Polaris side by side. For the people that can afford to go out and buy a new diesel pusher then look down on you and make some comment, I say let them all go to their fancy resorts and look down on each other. I'll be in the desert or other resorts enjoying the landscape, barbecuing and enjoying my Kids and Grandkids. For the people that don't take the time and effort to keep your rig safe and clean, yes, please park next to me or wherever you want. I won't say anything about your rig, but it doesn't make sense to me to have a dirty, unsafe rig.
Bubbamace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #89
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1448 View Post
I would venture to guess that if a rv (motorized) is over 10 years old it has a lot of miles on it. They might worry that if the motor or tranny goes it might get stuck at the cg for an extended period of time?
I doubt that...

I'm sure it really is the 'trailer trash' factor of older looking and more beat-up trailers...like my old Coachman was (although I never got turned away with it).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CoachmanTTWoodlandPark-P1070824.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	186122  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #90

I work part time in a private campground. We have certain areas where tents are not allowed. Tenters don't want them anyway, no trees. Rest of park(1/2) allows tents. One section has a tent rate and rest have to pay higher rate even if in tent. I have noticed an up tick in tents the last few years. Unless we are full, have never turned away tent or pop up. FHU sites sell out before the others.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #91

I hated the 10 year old cut.
The old 86 Wilderness we had looked like new and stored inside most of it life. Hated to sell it.
campsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by campsmith1 View Post
The old 86 Wilderness we had looked like new and stored inside most of it life. Hated to sell it.
In AZ where they have all kinds of rules at RV Resorts, especially 55 and older, the ten year rule is rarely enforced. Seems they only enforce it if in their opinion your rig is a wreck and an eyesore. Otherwise, they don't seem to have a problem.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #93

It was time for a new one so prompted the purchase
campsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:02 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
In AZ where they have all kinds of rules at RV Resorts, especially 55 and older, the ten year rule is rarely enforced. Seems they only enforce it if in their opinion your rig is a wreck and an eyesore. Otherwise, they don't seem to have a problem.
Once you are over 55 you'll understand how these parks can be a good thing!

We live in one in Yuma, AZ...LOVE IT!

Ooppsseeyy...time to hit the pool!

Old 09-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #95
Not a newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by campsmith1 View Post
If it's a "cream puff", just make a mistake when you tell them the year. Many people can't tell the year by looking.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:11 PM   #96
Not a newbie

JohnD10 do you remember a discussion thread about TT tounge jack to tailgate clearance a few weeks back?
Old 09-11-2018, 05:15 PM   #97
Not a newbie

I talked to Fastway e2 support about a longer shank and they have an 18" one that will give me more tailgate to jack clearance. Was wondering if anyone else has tried this approach?
Old 09-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #98
Tinkerer and Putterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I've said this before but I think that it's just so they have a definite line. If you roll up in a motor home looking like cousin Eddie's

they can point to the rule. But if you come in with a trailer that's say 15 years old and still in pristine condition, they'll likely bend the rule a little.

It's just hard to put in the rules, "sorry but your rig is just too ugly."
Hey some folks like patina. Slap some clear on it and some folks will pay big money for it as long as the inside doesn't match the outside!

HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:23 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfort View Post
JohnD10 do you remember a discussion thread about TT tounge jack to tailgate clearance a few weeks back?
No...maybe...kinda...not sure!
Old 09-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshaft View Post
What this forum needs is a special section called “Snob Sites.” Members can list those RV sites that discriminated based on equipment, age, or race, of customers. That might help both the land yacht owners as well as the regular folks who enjoy the RV lifestyle with their family regardless of equipment, age of family members, or their cultures or race. I have run across two or three of these RV sites, while qualified to stay there with my equipment and family, once I learned of their discrimination against good people seeking RV parking for their families, I wouldn’t stay there if they paid me. No thanks needed from folks who frequent these places. A very disgusting situation as an American citizen and RV enthusiast. These places need to be recognized for their discriminatory policies and I am sure they would appreciate the recognition.

no CG or any business will discriminate on race. The lawsuits get too expensive! It is illegal as murder.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote