Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2018, 01:04 PM   #21

I think the no-popups rule is to keep usage of the showers/toilets in the bathrooms down somewhat. With popups everyone in the unit is traipsing through the bathhouse multiple times a day; with self-contained units the usage is cut way down. Fewer bathhouses needed, less mess to clean. We have often stayed on Galveston Island and the resort does not allow popups. They only have four individual toilet/shower units for the entire resort so I can see what the issue would be. We have a self-contained unit but I prefer to use the bathhouse unless the weather is very cold -- just really like unlimited hot water!
NH Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:05 PM   #22

Stick your nose up in the air and walk around... then you know why they are that way! But mainly because they can be that way... when you are at that comfortable capacity or selling all of your inventory you can afford to be picky, smart ass and discriminate on what you let in. No pets, No popups, no popups or hybrids with a tent, nothing over 10 years old, nothing under 25 ft. When business drops off because of the new player down the road they will open up.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #23
USN SCPO, Retired

How dare you park that thing next to my "Glamper"...

P.S. I love doing it with my 2006 Starcraft just to see um freak out...

Fladitchdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #24

'Cuz we popup types is lowlife scum. Too cheap to gets us a proper RV, sos we lives in fancy tents.
(For the record, a HW277 is one of them there popups...and a might perty one, too.)
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:28 PM   #25
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
'Cuz we popup types is lowlife scum. Too cheap to gets us a proper RV, sos we lives in fancy tents.
(For the record, a HW277 is one of them there popups...and a might perty one, too.)
our previous popup when new was WAY more expensive than our current 2018 hardside!
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #26

[QUOTE=CAT-RN;1918590]Heck there are Class A only campgrounds. ??
/QUOTE]

They're going to make one near me. They're going to call it a Luxury RV Resort. Pfffft. I joke about buying the nastiest run down class A I can find and bring it there when they open it.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:44 PM   #27

I have no idea as to "why" of a lot of things in life, but I tend to lean toward being rather forgiving so maybe (a big maybe) it's a "liability issue"? My pop up was a lot easier to break into since all you had to do was unzip to be inside. I mean in this litigious society we live in, I can see where an Insurance Company says "no tents" just because of access issues for thieves.

Then again, I'm also logical and agree with everyone that's said, "their park, their rules" and people can lean towards being snobby in lots of facets of life. End of the day, if a CG has a rule that I don't like/agree with, I look for another CG.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:45 PM   #28

When living in CA we used to frequent Bolsa Chica State beach campground in Huntington Beach....You had to be self contained regardless of what type of RV you had to stay in the campground. No tents allowed. My guess would be it to eliminate campers from sleeping in cars or Uhaul type trucks. Once while we were there a pop in the site next to us the camp host inspected in for a toilet.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #29
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I would guess because they can charge more for FHU 50a sites, and that's what they built, so that's what they sell. I could as easily ask "Why are there so many small campgrounds, especially public ones, that won't allow big rigs in?".

That's why there is Vanilla, Chocolate, and Strawberry.

P.S.
I also started in a pop up. I sort of like them.

I have received the same explanation from Rangers, and Campground Hosts that it has to do with de-forestation. The powers that be regulate what trees they can cut down and which ones they can't. If they do cut one down it has to be first certified as diseased by an arborist. Then they're required to plant 3 more in it's place.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #30
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
When living in CA we used to frequent Bolsa Chica State beach campground in Huntington Beach....You had to be self contained regardless of what type of RV you had to stay in the campground. No tents allowed. My guess would be it to eliminate campers from sleeping in cars or Uhaul type trucks. Once while we were there a pop in the site next to us the camp host inspected in for a toilet.
i have seen this and was questioned when we took our popup to certain campgrounds. they wanted to make sure that we were self contained because there were no bathrooms close by. they would have moved us closer to one if we didnt have a toilet. in that case, they just dont want people peeing all over the place.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #31
54 Years, 13 RV's

Several years ago we had a slip at the local lake marina for our 24' cuddy cabin cruiser. A lady that owed a "Sunblocker" at the end of the dock walked by one day and said in a snarky tone, "that's a really cute little boat. We all started small like that".

As she walked away I said, "this is actually the dingy for our big boat that we keep at our winter home in Carmel".

Shut her right up!
Old 09-04-2018, 02:40 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfort View Post
Several years ago we had a slip at the local lake marina for our 24' cuddy cabin cruiser. A lady that owed a "Sunblocker" at the end of the dock walked by one day and said in a snarky tone, "that's a really cute little boat. We all started small like that".

As she walked away I said, "this is actually the dingy for our big boat that we keep at our winter home in Carmel".

Shut her right up!
Good one!

Reminds me of my former BIL - he and his partners had a 97' custom yacht, and their 'tender' was a 38' Midnight Express with triple 300's.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
thats goofy! i have seen so many wonderfull campgrounds that allow popups as perm sites. they just fold them up before they leave.
Of course if they take over an existing site that already had a deck on it, you end up with something like this...

They've upgraded their trailer since this pic was taken.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:24 PM   #34
Ham Call N8SAC

Our PU has hot water , shower, commode, AC with heat tape, furnace, heated bunks. What more can you ask for.
Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:26 PM   #35
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Of course if they take over an existing site that already had a deck on it, you end up with something like this...

They've upgraded their trailer since this pic was taken.
thats sketchy on so many levels. i had not thought of that. the ones i have seen were set up appropriately for a popup with a patio, not a deck.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:27 PM   #36

The same reason there are campgrounds that don't allow RV's unless they are $500,000 coaches! Wolf Creek Run Motorcoach Resort in Pagosa Springs, Co is an example. Only Class A coaches are allowed.
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #37

We were able to camp because our PU had a slide and a bathroom. Flagstaff High Wall HW27SC. We invited them to stop by our site and see what PU's look like today. We loved it, except for the setup and take down when it was just an overnight stay on the way to destination.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #38
Charlie & Sue

I have not taken time to read all responses, but from my experience of working 6 summers in campgrounds while full-timing, the biggest issue encountered at that time related to campers letting their grey water running onto the ground in W/E only sites. This practice leaves food particles on the ground that is not only messy for the next visitor but also attracts critters including those visiting by wings. Not everyone is thoughtful and thus ruin it for all others.
mecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:41 PM   #39
Site Team

Though the OP hasn't clarified it, they must be referring to a private campground.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:55 PM   #40

You couldn’t give me a site in one of those snob holes .I mean really unless your a full timer todays rigs are way over extreme , one has to ask what is camping really? If I or the group I run with need 5 slide outs , recliners, 80 inch TVs etc we will just stay home.Most of those people you never see outside of their palaces anyway unless they are going out to dinner....
Rocky2018 is offline   Reply With Quote