Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2018, 12:32 AM   #1

Wifi Booster Install

Hey guys!

My new 2280bhesp came with the Wifi Ranger but it was not installed by the dealer, Any ideas on where I could find install instructions?

I honestly don't see myself installing or having it installed as I don't feel that it will be worth additional holes being drilled into the roof etc but wanted to see what the install looks like or where it even is supposed to reside etc.
2thxtrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:25 AM   #2

You may want to rethink your decision. Especially if you carry a number of devices that connect to the internet. With a WiFi Ranger, you only have to connect it to the park’s WiFi. All your devices connect to it. That way, if you go from park to park, you have only one setting to change on the Ranger, and not all your devices.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thxtrm View Post
Hey guys!

My new 2280bhesp came with the Wifi Ranger but it was not installed by the dealer, Any ideas on where I could find install instructions?

I honestly don't see myself installing or having it installed as I don't feel that it will be worth additional holes being drilled into the roof etc but wanted to see what the install looks like or where it even is supposed to reside etc.
My 2018 Rockwood was supposed to come with the WiFi Ranger but I must have got an early 2018 because it wasn’t included. LOL, they didn’t even give me the parts! So I bought and installed my own. Before I did that I looked at lots of the Rockwoods on my dealers lot that did have a factory install because, like you, I wasn’t keen on additional holes in my roof.

Most of the factory installs I saw seem to have the roof unit mounted near the FM and TV antennas. I assume they will use one of those penetrations for the wire. I believe the factory unit only has a roof unit and no internal router and it will need a switchable 12V run to the roof unit and a switch mounted somewhere inside the trailer.

There aren’t too many install instructions other than to insure the antenna is more than 2 ft from any AC unit. There is a Support section on WiFi Rangers web site and the entire operating manual can be downloaded from there.

The one I bought is one step up from the factory unit and has an internal router that supplies power to the external (roof) unit using POE (Power over Ethernet) so my install was a bit different. I used the fridge vent and passed my wire down it and then under the trailer following the hard gas line and then up through the floor also following the gas line. The internal router can be powered from 12V or 110V. In my case the only thing connecting the two devices is a 50 ft (standard is 30 ft) Ethernet cable. I routed power from the preexisting 110 and 12 volt supplies in the wall (last picture). That wall is used by the factory to run lots of wires so it was easy to fish my wire(s) through it. The white box is the internal router and the rocker switch above it allows me to turn it and the external unit on and off. Roof and inside pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	93599247-6439-4EFF-B556-5FC78A1F5D78.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	165487   Click image for larger version

Name:	3134F3B6-5207-4A22-8FC4-AFC180E23F03.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	349.0 KB
ID:	165488   Click image for larger version

Name:	732A58F4-2816-40F2-85FD-E133AB1EE428.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	392.3 KB
ID:	165489  
TJA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #4

Nice install! I'll keep investigating on how best to install on my application... I have a booster switch installed inside, maybe I can foll those wires and see where they lead to the outside.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:28 AM   #5

Maybe it mounts here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plate.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	165732  
Old 03-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #6

Forest River was quick to respond to my email. For my pop-up, it does install on the panel I have shown above.

3/4" hole at the dimple in the panel, fish-out and connect the wires, screw down and seal.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:08 PM   #7

Awesome!

Before I drilled a hole I’d remove the panel, fish the wire and see what the minimum size hole I could drill would be. How will the wire/wires enter the WiFi Ranger. Mine enters through the side but I’ve seen some where it appears to enter the bottom of the box?
Old 03-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #8

I was thinking the same thing, or at the very least, starting with a small hole to see if I can't get the wires. 3/4" is a large bit lol.

The wires on the ranger that came with the trailer come out of the bottom of the unit. :-)

What sealant do you guys recommend? FR seems to use a hard & clear variety
Old 03-20-2018, 04:26 PM   #9

The white stuff around my WiFi Ranger is Dicor self leveling lap sealant.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJA1 View Post
My 2018 Rockwood was supposed to come with the WiFi Ranger but I must have got an early 2018 because it wasn’t included. LOL, they didn’t even give me the parts! So I bought and installed my own. Before I did that I looked at lots of the Rockwoods on my dealers lot that did have a factory install because, like you, I wasn’t keen on additional holes in my roof.

Most of the factory installs I saw seem to have the roof unit mounted near the FM and TV antennas. I assume they will use one of those penetrations for the wire. I believe the factory unit only has a roof unit and no internal router and it will need a switchable 12V run to the roof unit and a switch mounted somewhere inside the trailer.

There aren’t too many install instructions other than to insure the antenna is more than 2 ft from any AC unit. There is a Support section on WiFi Rangers web site and the entire operating manual can be downloaded from there.

The one I bought is one step up from the factory unit and has an internal router that supplies power to the external (roof) unit using POE (Power over Ethernet) so my install was a bit different. I used the fridge vent and passed my wire down it and then under the trailer following the hard gas line and then up through the floor also following the gas line. The internal router can be powered from 12V or 110V. In my case the only thing connecting the two devices is a 50 ft (standard is 30 ft) Ethernet cable. I routed power from the preexisting 110 and 12 volt supplies in the wall (last picture). That wall is used by the factory to run lots of wires so it was easy to fish my wire(s) through it. The white box is the internal router and the rocker switch above it allows me to turn it and the external unit on and off. Roof and inside pictures below.

Nice job! Can you explain more about how you attached the unit to the roof? It looks like it's mounted to a block which is held down by some sort of tape. What materials did you use?
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgarys View Post
Nice job! Can you explain more about how you attached the unit to the roof? It looks like it's mounted to a block which is held down by some sort of tape. What materials did you use?
Yes I used a mounting block, it isn’t my idea I saw it on a YouTube video.

I used a 3/4” piece of Poplar I had in the workshop but any piece of hard wood would work. I shaped the base of it so it would follow the curve of the roof and then primed and painted it.

I attached it to the roof using a marine (below waterline) adhesive. Once that had set up for 24 hrs I sealed the edges with 4” Eternabond tape. The joints and edges of the Eternabond were covered with Dicor lap sealant. The screws that mount the WiFi ranger only penetrate the Poplar and not the roof. When all is said and done the Dicor and Eternabond tape completely cover the Poplar which was an unplanned happy coincidence😀.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Yes I used a mounting block, it isn’t my idea I saw it on a YouTube video.

I used a 3/4” piece of Poplar I had in the workshop but any piece of hard wood would work. I shaped the base of it so it would follow the curve of the roof and then primed and painted it.

I attached it to the roof using a marine (below waterline) adhesive. Once that had set up for 24 hrs I sealed the edges with 4” Eternabond tape. The joints and edges of the Eternabond were covered with Dicor lap sealant. The screws that mount the WiFi ranger only penetrate the Poplar and not the roof. When all is said and done the Dicor and Eternabond tape completely cover the Poplar which was an unplanned happy coincidence😀.
great install. nice work.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:28 PM   #13

Quote:

Ugh....I just bought a 2018 Flagstaff SE (228BHSE) and the WiFi Ranger is listed as standard equipment in the '18 specs and catalog, but mine did not come with it either. My dealer gave me the run around that it was manufactured early in 2017, before they included it. I personally, think it's BS that the brochure and specs list it as standard equipment but don't include it and won't stand behind the literature.
Guess I will be ordering and installing myself as well! Thanks for the pics and info!
FLJeepChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #14

Did it come pre-wired? Do you have the pre-cut install spot like my pic above? Wierd that yours didn't come with one...
Old 04-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thxtrm View Post
Did it come pre-wired? Do you have the pre-cut install spot like my pic above? Wierd that yours didn't come with one...
It does not look like it did come pre-wired.
FLJeepChick is offline   Reply With Quote