Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #1

Will Battery power the winch up and down once?

I am thinking of boondocking with my boys this summer and was thinking of taking the pop up instead of a tent. It will be so much better to get off the ground.

I have a power winch so I am scared of the inability to close it up if I do not have sufficient power.

My thought is to raise the roof; disconnect the battery; re-connect the battery to lower the roof when the weekend is over. I will treat the pop up as a tent.

Has anyone ever tried this? I am scared to get stranded. Would the connection to the TV help? Possibly use jumper cables also?

I have a single 24 battery that came stock.

Thoughts?

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:25 AM   #2
Site Team

If you have the 12V aux pin in the Bargman connector powered ( some TV have the 12V aux pin wired up but do not install the fuse for it to save a buck) then you can always connect the TV and it will power the jack. Be careful not to depend on the TV battery for too much unless you are suing th vehicle daily. Most TV charge very slowly when just idling.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:51 AM   #3

You have a Tahoe, drive either in tow haul mode or with the HEADLAMPS turned On. That will cause the PCM to keep the generator charging at a higher level than if tow haul is not selected or headlamps are off (daytime anyway). Normally, the PCM sees the TV's battery charged after a while, notes the needed load and drops output down considerably. With tow haul selected or Headlights On, PCM keeps the boost up. (GM, can't speak for others.)

And yes, check to make sure the wire is connected and if a fuse is installed. I ran into that problem with my 2013, the wires were disconnected from the factory, dealer didn't connect (strange, the fuse was there), I didn't check, I ran the DC fridge from UT to Glacier and guess what....both batteries were dead. it was hot, I was hotter (and a bit peed off; ok REALLY peed off), so I just got out the ratchet and drill to raised the roof, and when it was allowed, connected the generator and charged things back up. Next day, I spent some time in a small town's auto parts store, getting nuts to connect the wires to the correct posts.

As for the battery...yes, should be NO problem. In my driveway, rather than spend five or more minutes to connect my batteries, I sometimes use a jump box to raise and lower the roof. One day, I probably raised and lowered the roof a half dozen times when I was adjusting the winch limit switches and the motor never appeared to slow.

The jump box is a dedicated jump box; now one of those that have a built in air compressor/light and from past experience, it allowed me to crank over an H1 diesel engine for about a hour when troubleshooting a starting problem. (I now travel with the jump box; I have never used it on a trip, but have helped out others with similar problems.)

And you should not get stranded. It was pointed out to me, that the newer power winches have a manual bolt to allow lower/raise without power. Just make sure you have a power drill with the correct socket (and extension if needed) for those just in case things that do happen with power winches.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #4

Ah yes. The cordless power drill. I was not thinking of that. I carry a cheap 3/8" plug in drill with a socket for that simple reason when I am camping at CG's with shore power. I suppose I can simply bring along my 18V cordless drill with spare battery to assist as well.

Thanks for the post.

When I installed my brake controller, I followed the e-trailer video for a 2013 suburban I believe. That video had me connect two wires to posts on the fuse box in the engine compartment. I am not sure which was which or what they were for. I too had to buy nuts to mount them as GM does not provide them. So maybe it is connected as you say.

I feel better now. Thanks,

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #5

I've been in that situation before....pup battery died, and I didn't feel like hand-cranking the roof down. So I backed up the truck, hooked up the harness, started the truck engine (powering the 12v charge system) and then lowered the roof. This worked for me, is it hard on the charging system or causes some other difficulty?
Old 06-01-2015, 12:33 PM   #6

Winch

Consider a portable solar panel and second battery
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Ah yes. The cordless power drill. I was not thinking of that. I carry a cheap 3/8" plug in drill with a socket for that simple reason when I am camping at CG's with shore power. I suppose I can simply bring along my 18V cordless drill with spare battery to assist as well.

Thanks for the post.

When I installed my brake controller, I followed the e-trailer video for a 2013 suburban I believe. That video had me connect two wires to posts on the fuse box in the engine compartment. I am not sure which was which or what they were for. I too had to buy nuts to mount them as GM does not provide them. So maybe it is connected as you say.

I feel better now. Thanks,

Vin.

One of those two wires is for the power to electric brake controller that you added; the other was for the power to the rear trailer harness to the trailer. So if connected, you should be ok. Easy to check with a voltmeter if you want further assurance.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 06-19-2015, 06:47 PM   #8

I have just picked up a used 2514g, yr 2009.

Does anyone know if this model year's electric winch has a manual bolt 3/8" hex head for manual activation when the battery is dead? I don't want to get stranded.
TrailerBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #9

Probably the same as my winch, a 7/16" socket.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:36 PM   #10

There is nothing obvious on the outside of the cover though. Took it apart pretty good and still nothing.

Would have thought it would jump out at me if it were there. And would have thought they wouldn't make a winch in 2009 without a hex head manual means of raising/lowering.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #11

On the top left of the plastic housing, there should be a round plug that pops off with a small screwdriver or knife. Inside that, through a bunch of grease (or at least there is supposed to be a bunch of grease) is the bolt.

Top left bolt in the photo...

Old 06-19-2015, 08:24 PM   #12

Awesome! I did make it that far originally, but didn't think to go messing around in the grease wad.

Does it work just as well, whether putting it up or down?
Old 06-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #13

Did for me. However, you want to use a power drill due to the number of turns for the bolt vs. inches raised. someone said 300 to 1, not sure. Even with a drill it takes longer than with the winch motor turning the drum.

BUT, I recommend turning the bolt one or two turns before putting a drill on it, to make sure it is nice a free to turn.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:44 PM   #14

Gotcha. Thanks for the detailed help.

I may also have an issue with the battery not charging through the inverter, but will work through the symptoms of that tomorrow.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:56 PM   #15

Converter? Inverter changes DC to AC.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:25 PM   #16

If your battery dies while boo docking there are two other options....1 is a jump pack has enough juice to power it down and if you hook the battery up to your TV via jumper cables, no need to wait to charge from the 7pin.

Me the missus and three hooligans
2014 rockwood premier 2317g
2012 F 150 super crew Eco boost.
3hooligans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:08 PM   #17

Got the trailer up after directly charging battery overnight.

Lights and vent fan don't work, but everything electrical seems to functioning. Lights did work a couple weeks ago but went out while we were messing around inside. Issue seems limited to the roof.

I see a couple of wires going up one of the 4 pillars, beside guide wire. Possibly the bottom end of those wires is loose? Is there a fuse for the roof functions?
Old 06-25-2015, 10:38 PM   #18

I have had my battery die and have used a drill and broke the nut off the manual crank. In this case just hook up jumper cables from the tow vehicle to the battery and you can raise and lower all you want to....been there done that.

After a broken cable this spring and finding out that the power winch is the number one cause of broken cables, I removed my power winch...here is a thread I started on that topic...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nch-79473.html

Tags
battery, power