RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-21-2017, 08:26 AM   #1

Winch Pop on raising

Hello all, boss and I just purchased a new to us 2013 Rockwood HW276.

While doing the final inspection at the dealer we raised the popup to a really big pop on the way up. Wasn't sure what is was, did a quick inspection around the trailer and then raised the popup to full height with no additional issues.

We repeated this process two additional times with the same results with the owner of the dealership present. Long story short, we still bought the trailer with the known issue.

At home, we did some troubleshooting to try to determine the issue which I believe is the coiling of the winch cable.

It seems that when the winch cable begins to coil, it builds up on the right side of the spindle (while building resistance that the motor is trying to overcome). After raising the roof approx 20 inches, the cable coils high enough on the right to fall over (this is the pop) and then begins to coil left along the axis of the spindle as you expect.

Any thoughts on how to get the cable to coil properly (left) as I'm sure this is only going to eventually lead to either burning up the motor or snapping the cable?

Lastly, what happens when the winch cable snaps? Does the roof lower?

Thanks for your time, Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170521_091826.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	138598  
colonial.fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #3
Site Team

Had this issue on my old starcraft pup. I was able to adjust the roller and cable tracking back under the camper. Also lube the cable and pulleys with silicone.

Suggest you craw under the camper and look around for the cable run. Make adjustments if needed.

R.I.P. Luke the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #4
Site Team

If the cable snaps while in the up position there should be some sort of safety devise you install after raising the roof. On my pup there was 2 bars that installed in opposing corners.

Now, if its while your cranking it up or down and cable breaks. One or more ends of the roof would drop.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #5

Thanks Plato, brought the camper home last night and intend on doing a pretty thorough maintenance overhaul on the TT next weekend. I also found the vertical safety channels that are used to secure the popup in the open position.

As for my primary issue, I manually guided the cable on the spindle as I was raising the popup and that seemed to have realign the coil. I've lifted the popup multiple times since with no repeat of the problem.

So thanks again for the suggestions and the warm welcome.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonial.fun View Post
Thanks Plato, brought the camper home last night and intend on doing a pretty thorough maintenance overhaul on the TT next weekend. I also found the vertical safety channels that are used to secure the popup in the open position.

As for my primary issue, I manually guided the cable on the spindle as I was raising the popup and that seemed to have realign the coil. I've lifted the popup multiple times since with no repeat of the problem.

So thanks again for the suggestions and the warm welcome.
Again ~ Welcome to the confusion where we can help you spend more of the kids inheritance.

Sounds like you found the cause of your 'popping' problem, as others have already said - lube the cable, more than likely neither the prior owner or the dealer ever accomplished that. Longer life for the cable to say the least.
Also, most likely someone had originally kept the winch in motion to unwind all of the cable causing it to wind itself to one end. A very common problem on just about any kind of winch if there isn't a resistance to keep the cable taught.

Hope you enjoy the new camper for a long time or until you trade it for a larger unit.

extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:45 PM   #7

Crawl under the trailer with a grease gun and grease the cable tracks. Two zerks, one for top track another for the bottom track. Usually the top zerk is hard to see and bottom zerk is easy.
Previous owner MAY not have done any maintenance on the cable tracks and or the springs/tubes.
This might help....go to the last page in the thread...
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...h-60970-6.html

As for the popping, appears you have cured that problem.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:12 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Crawl under the trailer with a grease gun and grease the cable tracks. Two zerks, one for top track another for the bottom track. Usually the top zerk is hard to see and bottom zerk is easy.
Previous owner MAY not have done any maintenance on the cable tracks and or the springs/tubes.
This might help....go to the last page in the thread...
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...h-60970-6.html

As for the popping, appears you have cured that problem.
Awsum link

Old 05-21-2017, 07:48 PM   #9

Welcome and congratulations on your new to you popup.
To answer your question about the cable breaking, if it breaks while lifting the roof, the roof will come slamming down. Yes, I speak from experience. After seeing that, we would not enter the camper until we had the roof up and the corner braces in place.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:18 PM   #10

Thanks again everybody.

Gals... I found the safety support channels for the corners, so no pancaking with me inside 😁
Old 05-24-2017, 09:06 PM   #11

👍FYI, those braces go on opposing corners.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
👍FYI, those braces go on opposing corners.
Good to know, thank you.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:12 PM   #13
Summer2Go

My old popup used to make a 'ka-thunk' noise at about the same point every time we cranked up the roof. I always assumed it was how the cable was winding. I always felt better when we had the winch greased and inspected by an RV mechanic.
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:09 PM   #14

I am speaking from old experience and this may not apply. Check your cable tension. There is a cable tensioner somewhere. Mine was in the front. A simple pulley on a threaded Rod. In the down position, you don't want a saggy cable. Thus preventing crossed cable on the spool. When you clean and grease the cable, look for fish hooks. Broken strands that will stick out. This is a sign of cable wear and a replacement should be scheduled. With already made up cable kit, replacement is easy.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
I am speaking from old experience and this may not apply. Check your cable tension. There is a cable tensioner somewhere. Mine was in the front. A simple pulley on a threaded Rod. In the down position, you don't want a saggy cable. Thus preventing crossed cable on the spool. When you clean and grease the cable, look for fish hooks. Broken strands that will stick out. This is a sign of cable wear and a replacement should be scheduled. With already made up cable kit, replacement is easy.

My cable broke on my 2015 Mac at the winch. Is this an easy fix, do I have to replace cables even to the corners at the support poles or just the cable that goes to the winch?
JoeyL10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:01 PM   #16

Winch Pop on raising

Sent PM, I purchased a ready made cable kit the worked just fine. The cable is not difficult to install. Mine came with a single sheet of instructions. Hope this helps.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote