Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2019, 08:48 PM   #1
Natural Hippy Girl

Winterizing question?

We keep our Pup in my husbands auto shop where there is heat, do I really need to "winterize" it.
Below is what we do after every use:
Drain water lines (open all valves until no water runs)
Drain water tank if it has been used
Disconnect batteries and put on maintainer.
And of course clean it out.
should I be doing anything else?
the2stongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:24 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2stongs View Post
We keep our Pup in my husbands auto shop where there is heat, do I really need to "winterize" it.
Climate controlled indoors, AND everything you mentioned?

You’re good to go. Wish my list was that easy.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:24 PM   #3

You are very lucky to have a heated space and I think you are doing exactly what you need to do. Good for you
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:00 AM   #4

Don't know your options, but you should also drain the water heater tank and the cassette toilet's fresh water tank, and obviously the toilets waste water tank.
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2stongs View Post
No.

If it never gets below freezing there is no need to winterize the plumbing system.

Now, if you include the other items you mention in the definition of winterizing then yes, you should maintain those items during non-use but that holds true no matter the season so I wouldn't call them 'winterizing' items.

You'll also want to sanitize the plumbing/fresh tank/water heater come time to use it again if it has set awhile.

Be sure to remove ANY traces of food or food items in storage inside the R/V.
Critters love to find a warm, dark place to live out the winter.

Pest control is a whole other topic and there have been LOTS of them.
Do a search for days worth of opinions.

Also... a fully charged and disconnected battery will only lose about 10% of its charge in 4-5 months. No need to put it on a maintainer if you choose not to.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:34 AM   #6

We keep our A-frame in an unheated, attached garage that never goes below freezing - ice and snow on cars melts and puddles, no freezing water on garage floor. So we don't winterize per se.

Depending on your water source, you may or may not get a sulfur smell in the water if left in the tank and/or water heater for months. We did on well water, we don't on city water. At the end of the season, I do drain the water by opening the low point drains, opening the outdoor shower, and the tank drain. No anti-freeze, or compressed air blowout (I do have to blowout our lawn sprinkler system before the first freeze.) I refill the tank and water heater just before our next camping trip.

I have learned to turn the water pump off AND relieve water pressure - outside shower valves do it fine - as part of the fold-down process at the campground. This prevents the fold-down sink faucet from bouncing open or leaking water while traveling. We normally use the pump even when water is available at the campground. This leaves the spigot free for filling pots (we cook and clean outside) or other uses.

The cassette toilet is plumbed into the A-frame's water supply, so it only gets emptied if we use it during a trip.

Fridge is shut down and door propped open until we start it up a day or two before the next trip.

Batteries have a disconnect switch installed on the battery box, and we disconnect the batteries after being plugged in for a week. We plug in again when we start the fridge up for the next trip.

hope this helps
Fred W
2019 T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
The cassette toilet is plumbed into the A-frame's water supply, so it only gets emptied if we use it during a trip.

2019 T21TBHW A-frame
Very surprising as all the premier Pop Ups I've seen, hard side A frame and tent, all have had a separate fresh water tank and fill.

Did you switch it out the C-402C and install a C-402L, the model that's tied to campers water system?
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91 View Post
Very surprising as all the premier Pop Ups I've seen, hard side A frame and tent, all have had a separate fresh water tank and fill.

Did you switch it out the C-402C and install a C-402L, the model that's tied to campers water system?
Came stock from the factory this way (early 2019 model in July 2018). More convenient but hardly essential. Factory had to spend a few more dollars running a water line across the trailer.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Came stock from the factory this way (early 2019 model in July 2018). More convenient but hardly essential. Factory had to spend a few more dollars running a water line across the trailer.

Fred W

Wow, I thought they all were 402C models. I would had prefered a 402L but I guess there's advantages and disadvantages to both. I had both a 2019 and a 2020 Premier 2716g and both came with the C-402C toilet.

I would had liked the convenience of having it tapped into the water system instead of a separate flush tank. BUT if I camp in colder weather with the camper winterized, I can still use the cassette toilet while everything else is winterized. Plus winterizing it again is only like a 5 minute job, with only 1 gallon of RV antifreeze needed.

Now I prefer the 402L toilet. When I was younger, I camped in November so the 402C toilet would had been a benefit.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2019, 09:09 PM   #10
Natural Hippy Girl

Thanks but don't have a toilet!
Old 10-24-2019, 09:13 PM   #11
Natural Hippy Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
No.

If it never gets below freezing there is no need to winterize the plumbing system.

Now, if you include the other items you mention in the definition of winterizing then yes, you should maintain those items during non-use but that holds true no matter the season so I wouldn't call them 'winterizing' items.

You'll also want to sanitize the plumbing/fresh tank/water heater come time to use it again if it has set awhile.

Be sure to remove ANY traces of food or food items in storage inside the R/V.
Critters love to find a warm, dark place to live out the winter.

Pest control is a whole other topic and there have been LOTS of them.
Do a search for days worth of opinions.

Also... a fully charged and disconnected battery will only lose about 10% of its charge in 4-5 months. No need to put it on a maintainer if you choose not to.
As this is not my first popup always do the pest control thing. Especially if you have to store outside. On older pup had wasps get in one year it was not fun. But better than mice.

Tags
winter