Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2015, 11:51 AM   #1

Wireless Fridge Thermometer?

Hello All,

Has anyone actually found a wireless fridge thermometer that will transmit from a closed pop up, up to the cab of the tow vehicle? Our fridge seems to vary in temp quite a bit, especially during travel. From all the research I have done, they are iffy on transmitting very far, especially through our pop up to the cab of our truck.

It would be a big help if we could monitor the temperature of the fridge while we travel to our camp site, so we could take action if we see the temp going too high.

We over night the fridge on AC before we leave, and use propane while we travel. This weekend I am going to add an interior 12V fan which should help our issue, but we still would like to see the temp.....we drink raw milk, so the temp is very important to maintain.

Thanks so much
tpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpainter View Post
Hello All,

Has anyone actually found a wireless fridge thermometer that will transmit from a closed pop up, up to the cab of the tow vehicle? Our fridge seems to vary in temp quite a bit, especially during travel. From all the research I have done, they are iffy on transmitting very far, especially through our pop up to the cab of our truck.

It would be a big help if we could monitor the temperature of the fridge while we travel to our camp site, so we could take action if we see the temp going too high.

We over night the fridge on AC before we leave, and use propane while we travel. This weekend I am going to add an interior 12V fan which should help our issue, but we still would like to see the temp.....we drink raw milk, so the temp is very important to maintain.

Thanks so much
look up accustat on Amazon comes with a read out remote and 2 sensors with an alarm you can set. It will transmit to your TV. I have done the samething when traveling.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #3

Thread ongoing here on the exact same product.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...mod-73824.html

Suggestion. How about a standard wireless thermostat? SOregon Scientific EMR201 Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer with Wireless Remote and Blinking LED Ice Alertomething like,

I have one for monitoring an outside shed the shed is about 20 feet from the house, and then through a few walls to the receiver and it works.

Only problem might be the metal around the fridge.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:45 PM   #4

Wonder if I could find the same type of set up you are referring to, but with a probe type sensor that I could drill a hole in to the fridge for the probe, and the sending unit could sit on top of counter? Would eliminate the metal and insulation issues.
Thanks so much for your help,
tpainter
tpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:55 PM   #5

I use a $13 unit in my 2300 Class C and it works fine. I wouldn't think you need anything fancy. You may need to put the outside half to your cab window since they work with RF and metal degrades the signal. Try it first outside the truck to see it's range. Mine is about 30 feet! Good luck...
GerryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:56 PM   #6

We use one of those wireless indoor-outdoor digital ones in our freezer in our garage - the receiver is inside the house

It would probably work from your RV fridge to your vehicle
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge