Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2014, 01:33 AM   #1

17 yr old cat..decisions, decisions..

Hi,
I am new to this forum and have been reading the posts about cats. Our Serena is a 17 yr old inside outside "I'll do it my way" kitty.
We have 2 dogs, peekapoo and mix havanese and ? (small).
Serena hates going in the car to the vet (howls); gotten to the age she is sometimes missing the edge of the litter box.
First time motorhome, 32' 2004 Georgetown, (hubby was a bus driver so driving not a concern)...but we are new to motorhome traveling.
Nervous about taking Serena but don't want to leave her behind. Really don't know what's best for her.
Anyone have ideas? I'm open.
PS..Have had her since she was 8 wks old...and she still won't come to either of us...(only when we go to bed does she come up on the bed with the dogs too).
ateepay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
Professional Curmudgeon

Take her for a short ride in the MH. Since it is bigger than a car and has furniture, she may not react the same as in a car, in which case howling issue is moot. Instead of a "purpose built" litter box, get a small tub with higher sides, will eliminate the missing issue.
Good luck.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #3

Smile Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Take her for a short ride in the MH. Since it is bigger than a car and has furniture, she may not react the same as in a car, in which case howling issue is moot. Instead of a "purpose built" litter box, get a small tub with higher sides, will eliminate the missing issue.
Good luck.
Got a high sided box that fits under the dinette..(hubby isn't going to like it..)
but it fits perfect. Got a halter and she didn't fight it. Tried to walk her..what a joke. She's probably going to be inside all the time, but that's OK. She is a very clean old lady.
Thank you so much for the 'high sided' idea...
Patti
ateepay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #4

We travel with 3 indoor cats, including a 16 YO. They all don't like it for the first few hours but then they settle in and are fine.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
Professional Curmudgeon

Our cat wore a collar for several months with absolutely no issue. Then I put a leash on the collar, and he immediately escaped from it. I bought a harness, which he couldn't escape from, but it melted all his bones. With the halter on, he is unable to stand up, let alone walk!
Old 01-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Our cat wore a collar for several months with absolutely no issue. Then I put a leash on the collar, and he immediately escaped from it. I bought a harness, which he couldn't escape from, but it melted all his bones. With the halter on, he is unable to stand up, let alone walk!
Psychosomaticat?
Old 01-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Psychosomaticat?
Perhaps. In any event, he was completely catatonic!
Old 01-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
Happy Keystone Owner

I would consult a taxidermist and solve all my problems!
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarr View Post
I would consult a taxidermist and solve all my problems!
That would be Catastrophic.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:58 PM   #10

A 3 day trip to the ocean answered my own question. Going to have to find a CATty shack for her. Couldn't sleep through THREE DAYS of howling, even parked. Oh well, it was worth a try.
Thanks all....(my husband likes dbarr's idea)
Old 02-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #11

Our poor Midnight hated the car, truck or anything to do with outside for that matter. The most she ever wandered outside the house in her long 25 year life was maybe 20 feet.

Tried to take her on trips because we refused to put her in any "kitty hotel" and it was a pain to find someone to come in to look after her if we were away for long periods. Although quiet during our attempts (except for the panting), she would "loose her mind" during the ride. We would put a fresh potty and her bed in the back seat of the TT but, she was totally confused. She would not lay still, panted, meow'd some and insisted on laying IN HER POTTY and ignoring her bed. Once we got to our destination and put her in the camper, she would be fine after a few hours although not quite the same as being "home".

Sadly, we came home one day to her laying on the floor unable to move her hindquarters. Vet said she most likely threw a blood clot which paralyzed her and she was likely to start having more. We decided that finally, at age 25, with a grim prognosis for her future quality of life, we held her while she went to her last "catnap".
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat