Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #1

A dog's life

Hi,
I just joined up today, and while I wait to pick up our new (to us) Mini-Lite 1809, I figured the least I could do is offer up a couple pictures of our pooches (past and present).

After 14 fantastic years, we had to say goodbye to our faithful companion Jet this past August. He was a camping dog to his core, and loved every minute of every adventure. He loved his first Oregon coast experiance so much we made the decision to go back 2 years ago while he was still able. (dog lovers, 'eh). I miss him every day, probably always will, but he still finds a way to bring a smile to my face.

The Wife and I knew we could not be without a dog, it would simply be selfish not to allow another rescue dog into our home. This past November we adopted Molly from our local SPCA. Within 30 seconds of our first "meet & greet" we knew she meant to be with us, her forever family. She is 100% deaf, a fact we knew prior to adopting her. So far, it has not been much of an issue at all. We are working on training her with hand signs, and come spring will start training with a vibrating (not shocking) collar, so that hopefully in time we can alow her some off-leash freedom. she has not experianced camping yet, but is in for a lot of it in her future. We have already booked a two week stay at South Beach State Park on the Oregon Coast this summer, and cannot wait to see her experiance her first coastal camping trip.

I hope I haven't babbled on too much. Thanks for allowing me to share.
trikebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #2

Welcome, trikebubble. Congratulations on the new Mini Lite and on the new dog. It is always difficult to lose a four-footed member of the family. When our last Airedale died, we weren't going to get another dog, but that lasted 3 months. Sophie now runs the house and she, too, loves to get in the truck and go...camping or ANYWHERE.

Great folks on this forum. If you have any questions, just ask away. Somebody will always come up with an answer.

2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #3

Welcome. You will like the 1809, it's a really nice camper. Does yours have the slide? We loved ours. Congrats on Molly, she is a real cutie, and looks likes she is ready to go camping.
richardwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
NELA

Welcome trikebubble!

We have one dog that always camps with us; Fred, a doxy mix (imagine a Doxy with a heavy Irish Setter coat)

We also have a very senior Cocker that has gone totally deaf over the past year. We've worked out hand signs with her and she's handled the deafness as if it hasn't even happened.
We haven't taken her camping with us yet, as we were concerned that if she got loose we'd not be able to call her back.
I hadn't thought of the vibration collar! Great idea that we'll look in to.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #5

Welcome trikebubble. We are also very much dog lovers. All our dogs are rescue - they all seem to have picked us, rather than the other way around. Sorry for the loss of your dog and congrats for rescuing a dog in need - both are beautiful.

Don and Laura + Roo
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAlover View Post
Welcome trikebubble. We are also very much dog lovers. All our dogs are rescue - they all seem to have picked us, rather than the other way around. Sorry for the loss of your dog and congrats for rescuing a dog in need - both are beautiful.

Agreed. Great looking dogs. Don't hesitate to post dog photos here and talk all you want about what great campers dogs make. Many folks on here wouldn't consider camping without their dogs, so there are lots of us who love hearing about them and seeing photos.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #7

Love the PUPPIES!! I am ashamed to say... we have 5 dogs(most hand-me-downs). One i bought for the ex. she is a Aussie and she is a sweetie...wild but sweet. The others are mutts. I have and orange cat...I call it D**n cat...I was awarded in the divorce...ohh and and 2 guinea pigs. Go figure. Least I don't have ferrets. PTL
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #8

Great looking dogs! Molly looks very sweet. Do I detect a bit of Border Collie blood?

Our 2 dogs love the Oregon coast and we will all be going back for 3 weeks late summer. I can't imagine doing the trip without them. Endless hours of hiking on the deserted beaches and coastal mountains! Fresh seafood and wild chanterelle mushrooms! Why can't it be summer already?
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:27 AM   #9

Thanks all. She is a border collie husky mix. Still very much a puppy at heart right now, a little bit of a troublemaker, but all in all a great pooch and addition to our family. She absolutely loves deer, which we see every morning on our walk, and loves to attempt to track and herd them.
We bought a Dogtra vibrating collar. It does have a shocking option as well, but we can disable that feature and use only the vibration for training. Once it warms up a bit outside we are going to start in on the training with it.
trikebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:44 AM   #10
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtelkman View Post
Great looking dogs! Molly looks very sweet. Do I detect a bit of Border Collie blood?

Our 2 dogs love the Oregon coast and we will all be going back for 3 weeks late summer. I can't imagine doing the trip without them. Endless hours of hiking on the deserted beaches and coastal mountains! Fresh seafood and wild chanterelle mushrooms! Why can't it be summer already?
It didn't take me long to figure out that taking our dog Fred along gets me out and hiking much more!

On about our 5th camping trip I got lost on a hiking trail. Fred didn't know or care, he was happy to just keep doodlin' along, probably thinkin' "wow, this is *the* nicest walk she's ever taken me on!"

(had my cellphone on me, so no panic, but DH was 45 miles away working that day, didn't want to admit I'd gotten lost and have him come help me find myself)

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote