Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2022, 02:24 PM   #1

And the adventure is about to start!

We are taking delivery of a 2021 Berkshire XLT 45a next week and getting ready for the next great adventure.

I’ve camped most of my life, anything from a pickup camper and travel trailer growing up, to a class C 30 years ago, to tents…so this will be ‘Glamping’ for sure, only with 4 dogs! 3 or trained GSP bird dogs who are house dogs when not in the field, and the 4th is a Great Dane!

We’ve looked at fencing to carry, and at collars with geo-fencing, but always interested in what others have found works! The youngest of the GSP’s has been known to climb an 8ft fence at home, so we’d like to find something at least 5 ft tall if we can to help encourage her to stay put and not let her nose get her in trouble!

The GSP’s have GPS hunting collars with geo-fence and work very well on them. The Great Dane is used to an e-collar, so that’s my first thought…but some type of enclosure would be great!

Thoughts, experiences, suggestions are all welcome!
GnKnTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:34 PM   #2

Most states I’ve travel to require 6’ leash.
Seams to work 100% of the time.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:46 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Best of luck on your new adventures.

Most of the campgrounds we travel through require pets to be on a leash anytime they are outside your R/V, fence or no fence. We've seen many think their fence was the end all boundary and it got them in trouble. The dog(s) got out, one guy pounded a fence stake through a water pipe, the dog(s) were noisy, etc.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 03:10 PM   #4

Unless you're boondocking outside of campgrounds and not near other people, geo-fencing won't really be a realistic option. If you are boondocking, then use what they are trained with!

We have just one dog, and we keep him on a lead that is usually around 10-15 feet, depending on the campsite, and on the campground rules. And he manages to get himself tangled up in that all the time. I couldn't imagine having more than one and not getting tangled immediately. And if your GSPs can get out of an 8 foot high fence, that doesn't leave you many options. Your only option may be to take them out on leashes to do their business.

If you're only camping occasionally, have you considering boarding them on your camping outings?
Old 10-05-2022, 04:15 PM   #5

Be aware that most campgrounds public and private have a 2 dog max rule.verify when making reservations as to not be surprised when you arrive.just trying to help.
httntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
Unless you're boondocking outside of campgrounds and not near other people, geo-fencing won't really be a realistic option. If you are boondocking, then use what they are trained with!

We have just one dog, and we keep him on a lead that is usually around 10-15 feet, depending on the campsite, and on the campground rules. And he manages to get himself tangled up in that all the time. I couldn't imagine having more than one and not getting tangled immediately. And if your GSPs can get out of an 8 foot high fence, that doesn't leave you many options. Your only option may be to take them out on leashes to do their business.

If you're only camping occasionally, have you considering boarding them on your camping outings?
We’ll be on the road probably 30-40% of the year staying either in rv resorts or when traveling harvest host has some really cool places to overnight. I’ll be doing two week assignments doing church planting and staff development, as well as guiding upland game bird hunts, and my wife has book signing setup in places we’ll be! One of the reasons we went with this coach was to travel with the pups and not have to leave them behind…
Old 10-05-2022, 08:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by httntheroad View Post
Be aware that most campgrounds public and private have a 2 dog max rule.verify when making reservations as to not be surprised when you arrive.just trying to help.
We’ve looked into a lot of places, and while there are some that limit it to 2 dogs, there are still a lot of places that will allow 4 without an issue.

Thanks for that heads up, though. Worth asking before showing up just to make sure!
Old 10-06-2022, 07:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnKnTx View Post
We’ll be on the road probably 30-40% of the year staying either in rv resorts or when traveling harvest host has some really cool places to overnight. I’ll be doing two week assignments doing church planting and staff development, as well as guiding upland game bird hunts, and my wife has book signing setup in places we’ll be! One of the reasons we went with this coach was to travel with the pups and not have to leave them behind…
Well in that case, boarding the dogs is obviously not an option. Let us know what you guys decide to do.
Old 10-06-2022, 01:48 PM   #9

[QUOTE=GnKnTx;2790417]We are taking delivery of a 2021 Berkshire XLT 45a next week and getting ready for the next great adventure.

I’ve camped most of my life, anything from a pickup camper and travel trailer growing up, to a class C 30 years ago, to tents…so this will be ‘Glamping’ for sure, only with 4 dogs! 3 or trained GSP bird dogs who are house dogs when not in the field, and the 4th is a Great Dane!

We’ve looked at fencing to carry, and at collars with geo-fencing, but always interested in what others have found works! The youngest of the GSP’s has been known to climb an 8ft fence at home, so we’d like to find something at least 5 ft tall if we can to help encourage her to stay put and not let her nose get her in trouble!

The GSP’s have GPS hunting collars with geo-fence and work very well on them. The Great Dane is used to an e-collar, so that’s my first thought…but some type of enclosure would be great!

Thoughts, experiences, suggestions are all welcome![proceed?
Have you thought about some type of fold out fencing which wouldn't really hold the dogs, but would provide a visible fence for the haters out there. Then put your geofence on those same boundaries so the dogs don't actually get out ?

I have a German Shepherd service dog that works 100% off lead. Instead of fighting endlessly with everyone about him being loose we have a 2' fence we unfold around the site. He could easily step over it but won't with his collar on. He is technically in a fence and if anyone says anything. I tell them I will give them $100 if they can get him to come out. The harder they try, the more he is going to avoid them.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 01:51 PM   #10

[QUOTE=GnKnTx;2790417]We are taking delivery of a 2021 Berkshire XLT 45a next week and getting ready for the next great adventure.

Thoughts, experiences, suggestions are all welcome![proceed?
Have you thought about some type of fold out fencing which wouldn't really hold the dogs, but would provide a visible fence for the haters out there. Then put your geofence on those same boundaries so the dogs don't actually get out ?

I have a German Shepherd service dog that works 100% off lead. Instead of fighting endlessly with everyone about him being loose we have a 2' fence we unfold around the site. He could easily step over it but won't with his collar on. He is technically in a fence and if anyone says anything. I tell them I will give them $100 if they can get him to come out. The harder they try, the more he is going to avoid them.

I have also tied him with kite string or paracord when we are sitting outside. Or walked him on a piece of yarn.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 10:12 AM   #11
D W

There's a world of difference between a bona fide Service Dog and a pet.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 10:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
There's a world of difference between a bona fide Service Dog and a pet.
Yes. There. Is. I had 150 rental houses until recently, and the scam service dog certificate industry makes it hard on those with real, certified, trained service animals. People wanting to get out of paying pet fees because they paid $25 for a certificate.

Tags
vent