Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #21

We travel with two cats and a cockatiel. My wife's sweet cat;Precious, does not like to leave the house. Our vet suggested Bonine for her. It is an over the counter for motion sickness. We have been giving her half a tablet before we hit the road.We started with 1/4 tablet when we started using it and found the 1/2 worked better. She weighs 10 pounds,also. My Grey tabby,Stanley does fine. Generally Precious sleeps in her cat bed until we get to our destination except for potty stops.Once the trailer is parked and not moving it is like being at home for her.
colorado4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:59 AM   #22

Yes, always travelled with cats and dog.
For those with problems with calming dogs and cats (travel and thunder and vet trips too), try Bach Rescue Remedy (natural essence-remember to dilute it!), and for cats there is cat pheromone sprays (Feliway is a good one) that you spray around and on your clothes (but not on the cat).
One problem I've had is they stand on the door buttons that unlock the doors in some vehicles (I let them out while I'm in a store, usually).
Even the shy ones like going into Petsmarts though.....except they'd have me buy everything in there ...because...well, they think they deserve it all!!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #23

only once and the cat was brought in a car a day after i got there. wasn't much trouble but litter box close proximity to the living area wasn't pleasant.

a few years later, i thought i had a calm cat that would travel. on a trip to the vet, decided not to crate her. she became more antsy as i drove. when i was to the end of my property, she was all over the place. had to go back and get the crate. decided not to try a trip with her.
i do see people with them on campgrounds so it is done.
i did travel with a dog. she required constant petting for the first hour. if i stopped, she would nudge me. i use to have problems staying awake for abt the first hr (misdiagnosed sleep apnea i don't know if she sensed that or wanted the attention). i remarried in 2002 and had to explain to the new wife that the dog had seniority. they were polite to each other but there was obvious friction.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh
only once and the cat was brought in a car a day after i got there. wasn't much trouble but litter box close proximity to the living area wasn't pleasant.

a few years later, i thought i had a calm cat that would travel. on a trip to the vet, decided not to crate her. she became more antsy as i drove. when i was to the end of my property, she was all over the place. had to go back and get the crate. decided not to try a trip with her.
i do see people with them on campgrounds so it is done.
i did travel with a dog. she required constant petting for the first hour. if i stopped, she would nudge me. i use to have problems staying awake for abt the first hr (misdiagnosed sleep apnea i don't know if she sensed that or wanted the attention). i remarried in 2002 and had to explain to the new wife that the dog had seniority. they were polite to each other but there was obvious friction.
As I said earlier we travel with indoor cats and my cat ,Stanley, loves the Colorado outdoors. So while other campers are walking their dogs I'm walking Stanley. We are a sight at the campground . I use a harness on him. He has made a couple escapes from the harness. He does pretty good with the leash. Generally I just follow and let him lead. He loves to pursue ground squirrels ,which are numerous at SugarLoafin in Leadville.

2011 Ford F250 XLT
colorado4me is offline   Reply With Quote