Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2017, 07:39 AM   #1

Camping companion lost this week...

We lost our good buddy this week...kids are a mess, wife and I are a mess, everything is a mess. Mornings are the worst...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9878.jpg
Views:	938
Size:	459.3 KB
ID:	144928
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:46 AM   #2

Sorry to hear about your loss, we have been there a few times. You may want to try a rescue dog. It will help the kids & you guys.
radio flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:46 AM   #3

Been there, done that. Now to many times to count. Sorry for your loss. But based on your comments, I'll bet your dog had one great gig for having lived with a family who loved him like that!
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:47 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Sorry About your loss

My heart goes out to your family. They are family and are loved so much.
Your Buddy will be greatly missed.

God Bless
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:47 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

So sorry for your loss. This may make you cry at this point but it also may help you with your grief. It was sent to me when we lost our beloved Maddie. Maybe it will help you too.

THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF AN EXTREMELY DISTINGUISHED DOG

I, Chelsea, because of the burden of my illness and realizing the end of my life is near, do hereby bury my Last Will and Testament in the mind of my Master. She will not know it is there until after I am dead. Then, remembering me in her loneliness, she will suddenly know of this testament, and I ask her to inscribe it as a memorial to me.

I have little in the way of material things to leave. Dogs are wiser than men. They do not set great store upon things. They do not waste their days hoarding property. They do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep the objects they have not. There is nothing of value I have to bequeath except my love and my faith. These I leave to all those who have loved me, to my Master, Vicky, who I know will mourn me the most, to my companion, Will, but if I should list all those who have loved me, it would force my Master to write a book. Perhaps it is vain of me to boast when I am so near death, which returns all beasts and vanities to dust, but I have always been an extremely exceptional dog.

I ask my Master to remember me always but not to grieve for me too long. In my life I have tried to be a comfort to her in time of sorrow and a reason for added joy in her happiness. It is painful for me to think that even in death I should cause her pain. Let her remember that, while no dog ever had a happier life, I have now grown ill and pained. I should not want my pride to sink to a bewildered humiliation. It is time for me to say "good-bye". It will sorrow me to leave her but not sorrow me to die. Dogs do not fear death as men do. We accept it as part of life, not as something alien and terrible which destroys life. What will come to me after death? I will be in a place where one is always young; where I will someday be joined by companions I have known in life; where I will romp in lovely fields with those that have gone before me; where every hour is mealtime; where in long evenings there are fireplaces with logs forever burning, and one curls oneself up and remembers the old brave days on earth and the love of one's Master.

This is much to expect but peace, at least, is certain, and a long rest for these weakened limbs. And eternal sleep is perhaps, after all, the best.

One last request I earnestly make. I ask her, for love of me to have another. It would be a poor tribute to my memory never to have another Lab. What I would like to feel is that, having once had me, she cannot live without one! I have never had a narrow spirit. I have always held that most dogs are good. Some dogs are better than others--like me--and so I suggest a Black Lab as my successor. She can hardly be as well bred or as mannered or as distinguished and beautiful as I, but my Master must not ask the impossible. She will do her best, I am sure, and even her inevitable defects will help keep my memory green. To her I bequeath my collar and leash. I leave her my place in the car which I loved so much and wish for her long rides with open windows.

One last word of farewell, dear Master. Whenever you think of me, say to yourself with regret but also with happiness in your heart at the remembrance of my happy life with you, "She is the one who loved us and whom we loved." No matter how deep my sleep, I shall hear you, and not all the power of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:48 AM   #6

So sorry! They are very hard to loose!
Old 07-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #7

Ok. Remembering all the dogs we've had and are gone, that made me cry. Thank you for that testament!
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:15 AM   #8
(Dry Huunday)

So sorry. It is so hard, I'm sure he had a wonderful fun filled life. They are only here for all too short moments in our lives. But they are in our hearts forever.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #9

Sorry for your loss. We went thru it twice in 10 months. Put Dakota down last summer and Dallas down this spring. It's amazing how they become a part of our lives. Still open the garage door after work and expect a wagging tail and to be tripping over them. Now our cat Carl is 13 and moving a lot slower. I imagine he will go within the next year. The kids and wife have been looking at puppies but I can't get into one quite yet. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0936.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	144942Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0935.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	144943
Grey Wolf 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #10

Sorry for your lose been there horrible feeling they are a immediate member of your family so sad to see them go prayers are with you and it does look like he had a wonderful life
chedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:51 AM   #11

After a lengthy illness we lost our dog last year so I feel your pain. Remember the good times. Even today we still feel her presents.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #12

They are truly mans best friend. Animal lovers are good people....show me a man that loves animals and I will show you a person with a heart.

I also think that dogs have some sort of soul...maybe not the same, but I think God sees what they do for us and takes care of them. If I see a dog on the road I always pray for them.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:16 PM   #13

Sorry for your loss. Our first one together was a rescue. Used to climb on my chest to nap as she was happy to have a home. Hard to take since she weighed about 40 lbs. We had her 16 1/2 years - was a sad day when we had to let her go.

But we still tell stories about her and get laughing out loud at them sometimes.

Still miss her but very fond and happy memories remain as well.

Lost the other one a year later. She was a pup rescue as well. The two of them used to love chasing each other around the house. Still laugh about the pup being under the couch ( while she fit there ) and the other trying to get her [emoji3]

Had to lose that one about a year after the first one. She was 14 and we had her all but the first few months.

Personally I wanted to take a break after those two and losing them but life had other plans.

Wife's mom passed and we inherited hers. This one is more the wife's dog but they do add to life in many ways. Always glad to see you no matter how bad a day you had and so on.

It is losing a family member for most that have them. It is painful but that will mellow with time.

Missing them will always be there but focus on all the good times, fun times, and the life they had with you as well as how they gave your family a better life for being a part of it - it helps.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #14

So sorry for your loss. Been there too and it's always hard.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #15

So sorry to hear of your loss. From some pets are great companions and family members. Had a cat from 8 weeks old till the end at 19 yrs of age. Remember the good times! There will be comfort with time.
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:03 PM   #16

So sorry for the loss of your fur baby.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #17

Sorry for your loss. Like a family member.
RLHAMILTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #18
Retired Army MSG!

My condolences. Looks just like my lab who is aging quickly. Hang in there and God Bless you.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #19

Been there more times than I cared to. My sympathies. Remember...they are waiting for you at the end of the Rainbow Bridge and they will wait patiently until that day arrives.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:25 PM   #20
DW's 401(k) Plan

asquared 's post was perfect. I can just imagine several of our furkids feeling the same way.
We've rescued 9 Shelties in a little over 16 years. Most have been middle aged, so we didn't have them all their lives. But, they gave their love unconditionally and we gave our love back to them. When the one rescue we had the longest, Sasha, passed away in our MH last October, DW and I were on the internet looking for new rescues the next evening. We are now complete with our three new ones. The funny thing? These three have many of the traits of three rescues we had 10 years ago. Tangie, a Merle, acts like Sasha, Cherry, a Sable, acts a lot like Jessica and Chatter, a tri-color, is the spittin' image in looks and personality of Mocha. In fact I'll call them the names of those long past. While I think of the others often, the hurt and pain does subside. And as I sit typing this, 2 of the 3 are laying next to my chair while the 3rd is guarding the door to the office. Great companions.
I've known more people who were glad they jumped back in and got another of the breed they just lost, than those who did and regretted it. However, only you know what's best for you.
God Bless and Guide you.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping