Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2018, 09:17 PM   #61

We take our dogs, the grand-dogs, the kids the grand kids, we would not have it any other way. I feel sorry for those that feel that they need to be alone. In 35 years of camping I can could on one hand the times that the DW and I have camped by ourselves.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dogsfence.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	428.9 KB
ID:	181790  

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:21 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlbalentine View Post
Looking from the inside in and I don't own a pet and I do like pets I just don't have the time for the responsible.
I do travel with my friends that bring their pet. They can only go to restaurants that allow dogs outside on the patio so it limits us where we an go. They can't leave the pet in the trailer by itself because besides not be safe it not legal with the RV parks rules.
We just left a park last week and the neighbor was asked to leave because their dog kept barking and annoying other neighbors. They lost all their remaining days of paid in advance.
I could not take a pet with me on a RV trip , if I did, I might as well bring all the grandkids too.
Well?

Seriously, choose your pet. Train them well. Then glamp!

My first wife of 42 years passed soon after and very soon after adopting a couple of different chihuahua‘s.

“Very Soon after:” Olive, who after five minutes together, recognized my deceased DW’s auto-immune disease immediately and took corrective action to ease her condition. We immediately adopted her and got hercertified as a service (NOT a comfort) dog.

And soon after: ”HOWIE! A different Chihuahua.” I mistakenly took Olive’s running to the TV when dog food commercials and her whines when puppies appeared during the Pet Channel shows were a need for a companion.

LOL.

Olive assumed I wanted Howie to help. She barely tolerates him. Howie thought he was the prince. He is a special character. She has educated him often.

Both rescued me, I never realized.

Howie has taught me some dog speak. He tells me by the pitch of his whine, just how long I have to find a rest stop before _I_ have a problem. He had taught me by the joy in his bark when he spied me after a two hour absence, that he truly loves me. When we are towing, I have a need to get “there.” His whine reminds me there is a comfort need too. The goal real is not to get there and now but to arrive safely and comfortably so we all can enjoy the trip.

Olive in her gaze has taught me so much. My life before she began my education was full. It included my DW and it included our goals. However, life with Olive means we do things together. All. Four. Of. Us. (She includes my new DW and Howie.)

Do we glamp with our dogs?

Only, if they can go with us or have a comfortable place (food, water, rest stop) to stay while the humans do what they wish.

We gauge our stops, not for human needs but when we think Howie will need to stop. [Seriously, he is 11 lbs (11 dog years) and pee’s for at least one and a half minute before pausing.]

I at 180 lbs [74 yo] can only muster a minute before stopping. He is my hero!

How does he hold it in?

Do we camp with our dog friends. Yes.

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:28 PM   #63

This is Harley who loved to go anywhere in the car even if we were turning the car around in the driveway. He was my caching buddy too, every where I went he tagged along. He even loved going for boat rides. Sadly we lost him to cancer the day after Thanksgiving 2016.

My wife and I were devastated.

We now have Bear who loves to go bye bye but as soon as he gets in the car loses his lunch. We have tried everything to settle his stomach but alas he is a homebody sadly. But yet he can handle riding around in the boat all day even with it rocking to and fro.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Harley 5-28-15.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	181791  
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:58 PM   #64

We love camping with our dog! He loves going. Gets excited when we ask him if he wants to go in the camper.
We just got back from the Ozarks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	38EF50C6-9011-453A-81B8-896081678208.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	648.1 KB
ID:	181796  
kk5fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:19 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk5fe View Post
We love camping with our dog! He loves going. Gets excited when we ask him if he wants to go in the camper.
We just got back from the Ozarks.
Very cute!

Love the little Coleman cot!
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:58 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatP View Post
So jealous of everyone’s ability to take their dogs camping. Our dog is 15 months old. Last summer he camped with us all summer and fall. He was great last year, but he was a young pup. This year he’s just not very compatible with camping. He is very on edge and ultra protective while camping. We aren’t sure how to break that. He is high energy, so not sure if that makes it worse, but he is not a happy camper. He gets really stressed with wheeled items, like kids on bikes, scooters etc. If any one approaches our site he growls and acts mean, which he isn’t. He goes to doggy daycare a few days a week, when I work. So, I don’t think it’s a socialization issue because he’s with strangers and other dogs several days a week. His behavior while camping makes it hard to relax and enjoy the campground. Poor guy ends up getting boarded while we go camping. Wish I knew how to get him past this stage. We can’t let him growl and snarl at people, especially kids. Suggestions welcomed. I read an article that said not all dogs adapt to camping, so that may be his case. I just had dreams of taking him everywhere. We adore the little guy.
Does your dog react to wheeled items like kids bikes at home? He needs to be desensitized slowly with positive reinforcement. Calming supplements like rescue remedy can help while on the road. Dogs can feel threatened when out of their element. Try some driveway camping where you get your dog used to your camper at home. Feed him in there. Treat him in there. Spend some nights together in there. Next take him to local parks and trails to help get used to those things. You could try some quieter campgrounds or campgrounds with dog parks to let him socialize with buddies. Working with a trainer or dog behaviorist is a great idea.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:27 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Wow, that's a beautiful dog. How big is he??
He's 102 lbs & still has some growing to do. He's been wonderful so far on our trips! Loves to hike. Last time out we taught him how to swim. Nothing quite beats sitting by the campfire resting your hand on your furry best friend's head!
Old 07-31-2018, 07:27 AM   #68

This is my daughter JJ. My motorhome is parked at my hunting club here in Alabama. I often take JJ with me on my hunts. She rides shotgun in my John Deere Gator. I carry her dog bed and we hunt deer or turkey out of one of the many shooting houses the club has on this vast property. JJ is very still and quiet. She makes my hunts so much more enjoyable and lessens the loneliness of hunting on stand for hours at a time.

The photo of JJ standing over this turkey was taken Apr 1st, 2016. I hope the photo of a harvested animal does not offend any of you. I am a college grad majoring in Biology with a minor in Environmental Science and Ecology. I am very respectful of our wildlife and I contribute mightly toward continued high levels of conservation and enforcement efforts.

I don’t know why these photos are not upright. Maybe someone can help me out on how to turn them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	57884648-ED8E-41F6-9648-E597B5224DE4.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	749.1 KB
ID:	181808   Click image for larger version

Name:	4CECF00A-1BB7-47AE-B65B-EF733C390371.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	181809  
TheSGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:34 AM   #69
Shelley

Response to earlier post about their dog getting attacked and another one killed:

Oh my God. I hope you dog fully recovered and I feel so badly for the family who lost their beloved pet. Why on earth wasn't the aggressive dog restrained, i.e. leash? Was their any punishment placed on the owner of the killer dog?
Old 07-31-2018, 07:37 AM   #70

I've been RVing since 1963 and always had a dog. First was a Great Dane, then a wonderful female Yellow Lab and now an 11 year old Scottie. Early on we also had a cat. It wouldn't feel right going without one. They also make getting acquainted with other RVers easier. We've found that very few campers don't have an animal of some kind.
ER17453361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:31 AM   #71

The "Kooldog Krew"

We have been camping for many years with our three Siberisn Huskies. They love camping and know when we are beginning to load the RV for another trip. Our krew is comprised of: Custer and Diesel, who are our 8 year old males, and have been with us since puppies. Summit is our little 7 year old female and is a rescue. (Names are in order as pictured in top picture. Bottom picture is when they were on "deer alert" in Raton, NM.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180502_162851.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	590.0 KB
ID:	181816   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180416_190034.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	181817  
kooldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:42 AM   #72
Citrus County, Fl.

Our 3 Shelties love to go camping with us. One starts whining when we are packing, thinking we might leave her. Another, follows me out and takes his place on the couch and waits for us to leave. Without them I would not get my exercise.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5082.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	181821   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5098.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	181824   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5085.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	181825  
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:52 AM   #73

We also have Huskies, three in fact. When asked that question, we tell them we left it at home. We aren't lying, we really do have a sled.😊
Old 07-31-2018, 08:58 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Seeing some great fur kids here!

We bring our monsters when we go to local camp spots. At National parks or places that we have things to see/do, we leave them with a sitter.

Sitka is 4 and Kenai and Juneau are 5. And the joke of Where’s your sled is getting OLD!!!

Attachment 181149Attachment 181150Attachment 181152
Not sure if you are seeing my reply, but here goes.
We also travel with three Siberian Huskies. When asked about our sled, we honestly reply that we left it at home. We do have a sled for our three.😊
Old 07-31-2018, 09:14 AM   #75

Our wheatens

We take our Wheaten terriers on every trip. They give me lots of exercise and protection (or so they think).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A61F3F59-069D-4683-A064-669AC6D54ECF.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	327.6 KB
ID:	181828   Click image for larger version

Name:	EFB3ADE5-3882-405D-894E-A03DBA492705.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	566.2 KB
ID:	181829  
ClementsRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:25 AM   #76

Any suggest to get a dog into a trailer when he refuses to climb the steps? Tried a ramp and no luck with it.
RMatejczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:35 AM   #77

Our dog goes with us most of the time. However if our plans call for a lot of time away from camper in really hot weather we find a dog sitter. Dr. Watson loves to go anywhere we go but camping isn't real high on his list of favorite things to do. Here he is at Echo Bluff State Park in Missouri watching the wild horses come through the campground early one morning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0696.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	181833  
Ridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:08 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
We took our Boxer Brit camping all the time. We lost her back in January and miss her a lot. We "rescued" a black Lab (mostly Lab) boy from the shelter here a couple of months ago. He was heartworm positive, and he will finish his final recovery days in about a week. We look forward to taking him on his first camping trip. Below is Brit, then Boomer.

Attachment 181005

Attachment 181004
Good for you for adopting a guy with health issues. Eight years ago we adopted a two year old yellow Lab mix (mostly yellow! LOL) from our local shelter. He was also heart worm positive and scheduled to be put down because the shelter felt he was not adoptable. We had him heart worm negative within a year and he is the most wonderful, loving guy you would ever want to meet. He allows us to use his camper whenever we want!

oceanprey
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293RKSS
2015 Silverado 1500
oceanprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:36 AM   #79
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMatejczyk View Post
Any suggest to get a dog into a trailer when he refuses to climb the steps? Tried a ramp and no luck with it.

Ours were hesitant about the ramp. We put a line of the really small milkbones leading up and then leading down. They now do the ramp without any hesitation and we stopped the treats.
Well, at least not so many.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:42 AM   #80
Empty Nesters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMatejczyk View Post
Installed for my wife with mobility problems...but the dog loves it too!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	181837  

Tags
camping