Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #1

cats in TT

First trip coming up (Michigan to Florida) and we will be taking dogs and cats. The dogs will be traveling in the truck, with us, and our plan is to have the cats in the TT while we drive. I know that there is concern with this but we plan on giving it a shot.

Obviously with it being winter the TT will be cold and our plan is to leave the furnace running on a low setting. Is there a problem with this? Being new I have no idea of the issues that may arise with propane or any fallout from driving while running the furnace.

Thoughts - suggestions??

2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8329SS
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 (Sterling) Auto w/built trans, 4X4 Quad Cab 5.9L Cummins
mikemc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #2

I suggest you read this and then reconsider your plan.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...q4Sg6zAdQMJpcg

Please.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:38 AM   #3

Please reconsider travelling with your pets in your TT. There are also a lot of RVers out there a lot smarter than I am who will not travel with their propane on which I believe would be needed to run your furnace.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #4

Someone had earlier posted about leaving their dogs in trailer and traveling with them. Almost killed them with co poisoning. Not recommended. Look for and read the posts then you can decide. MH yes, trailer of any kind NO!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I would put your cat's in the truck. If not enough oom in the front of the truck, get a cap on the truck and secure the crates in the bed of the truck. You can bed the cats down warmly the crates. If you have a rear window, open it so they can get some heat back there too.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #6

Why do RVs have this problem but not horse trailers. One of mine is totally enclosed with the a/c running on really hot days. Many years doing this with no problem.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:39 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Livestock trailers have different venting than rv's
Old 12-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #8

Still seems like a VERY rare issue and lots of people travel with pets in their RV. How often do you pull into someplace and find your detector going off? I never have. Obviously by the other post, it's possible but certainly not the norm. I'm actually very curious about the set of circumstances that lead to it. Not saying the person did anything wrong, but there usually a reason when something is the exception as opposed to the rule.
Karl4Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Livestock trailers have different venting than rv's
Livestock trailers, yes. But many dedicated horse trailers (including mine) are sealed up as tight as any RV when the windows are closed. The only time we haul with open windows and roof vents is when the temperatures are between 45-70 degrees. Below that, closed windows and it stays reasonably warm (or, should I say not too cold) because of the body heat from three horses. Above 75 the windows are closed and the A/C is run. Even on a really hot day the temp with a/c runs around 80 degrees or so. Maybe it's not a problem because the horse area is behind the living quarters area and a long way from the diesel exhaust.

But, I think I'll just keep letting the dogs ride in the truck.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #10

Their is a very big difference running a heater that run on propane in a TT and running with your a/c that runs on elec when driving
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
Their is a very big difference running a heater that run on propane in a TT and running with your a/c that runs on elec when driving
Very true. Hadn't considered that. Our heating is only in the LQ area and the ducts don't run to the back.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Someone had earlier posted about leaving their dogs in trailer and traveling with them. Almost killed them with co poisoning. Not recommended. Look for and read the posts then you can decide. MH yes, trailer of any kind NO!
in that post they had the front windows open, while sitting in traffic, nothing to do with the furnace.... we travel in our rv with the furnace or ac and gen running, depending on the season.
poorbuthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:40 PM   #13

but really cats love to snuggle under blankets so a few hours driving with the heat off shouldn't hurt their feelings too much.
poorbuthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #14

I personally wouldn't leave my pets in my 5er and not in the cab of my truck with me.

With that said, the linked story talks about CO poisoning from vehicle exhaust, NOT from a running propane fridge or heater. Motorhomes have virtually identical furnaces and exhaust ducting to most TT and 5ers. From my reading it seems that loads of motorhome people drive with the propane heater running. Never heard of any CO poisoning problems. Legalities aside, I can personally have driven thousands of miles with my propane fridge running and have never entered the 5er after stopping to find the CO detector going off.

Can anybody personally attest to having their propane furnace or fridge cause a CO detector to go off while traveling? Does anybody have any links to a story about this happening?
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:42 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Livestock trailers, yes. But many dedicated horse trailers (including mine) are sealed up as tight as any RV when the windows are closed. The only time we haul with open windows and roof vents is when the temperatures are between 45-70 degrees. Below that, closed windows and it stays reasonably warm (or, should I say not too cold) because of the body heat from three horses. Above 75 the windows are closed and the A/C is run. Even on a really hot day the temp with a/c runs around 80 degrees or so. Maybe it's not a problem because the horse area is behind the living quarters area and a long way from the diesel exhaust.

But, I think I'll just keep letting the dogs ride in the truck.
Getting off topic but all the years I competed horses, I never saw a single horse trailer seal up the way an RV does, but I never did get inside one with living quarters.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Getting off topic but all the years I competed horses, I never saw a single horse trailer seal up the way an RV does, but I never did get inside one with living quarters.
They used to be pretty drafty in the back when they had 2x8/2x10 wooden floors but now the floors are composite material and sealed to the walls. However, very few have any insulation which can make them very hot in the summer.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:40 PM   #17

Our cat's latrine is under the bed and through a pet flap. No odor what so ever. Never leave home without him. I registered him with ADA as an "Emotional Support Animal" so he can't be turned down at any CG.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2218.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	97586  
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:53 PM   #18

We travel with our small Chihuahua and our 17 yr old cat. We need to take the cat because of her age and the fact we go on a couple of month long trips each year. Both ride in the back seat of our truck. The first time we took the cat she drove us crazy meowing because she didn't like riding in her carrier. Now we put her in the carrier to take her to the truck. Once underway we unzip the door. She comes out and looks around or goes down and goes to sleep on the floorboards under the back seat. We also keep a litter box for her to use while underway since we usually travel 6 to 7 hours a day. We have now logged over 20,000 miles this way and it works well for us and the cat.
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat