Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #1

Cinnamon "Devil Dog" update

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1441.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	38074Background info...Cinnamon, 2 1/2 yr old female Chi-weinie [Dachsund-Chihuahua mix] came to live with me 6 weeks ago. Immediately developed separation anxiety, cause she had never been ALONE. Did alot of damage inside my new trailer, trying to escape and be with me, when I would leave. I have tried sooo many tips that everyone on the forum suggested, and was making some progress. She has had 3 trailer-damaging campouts.

Well, we went to a campout this weekend, [#4], after being at home for the last 3 weeks. Since my trailer is parked in my driveway, we did alot of crate training in the trailer and in the house. I would leave for short periods of time and things seemed to be progressing, slowly but surely.....dealing with her 'Separation Anxiety' when she was left alone.

For this camping weekend, I even went and bought the doggie pheromone spray with DAP, to spray in her crate area, assuming it would calm her down.....like the $40 bottle said it would do!

I also put her foam bed in the crate thinking that she would feel more secure with something that was hers and was familiar with.

I was VERY optimistic that this was going to be a good campout for Cinnamon, that she had turned a corner in her Separation Anxiety and crate training.

Since she had done so much prior damage to the inside of my trailer, when left alone, I put her in her crate, when we got set up on our site, so I could go next door, to talk to my camping club friends.....I swear I was only gone 5 min. and this is what greeted me when I opened my trailer door.

Name:	photo (29).jpg
Views:	194
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	38067

Name:	photo (28).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	38068
So I decided that this was now going to be her 'outside bed' and when I took 'it' and her to our potluck dinner, she got into her bed and looked at me like...."I don't see anything wrong with my bed, Mom!". Everybody laughs when they see her 'handiwork'.

Name:	photo (30).jpg
Views:	174
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	38072
I seriously don't know what to try next...I can't ask anyone to dog-sit cause she throws a fit....screams, cries, and whines....you can hear her through the trailer walls....when left alone. Makes campouts very stressful for both of us.

Sargent's Fox Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #2

Just a suggestion have you ever tried leaving a TV running sometimes the noise and picture will get their attention.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
Just a suggestion have you ever tried leaving a TV running sometimes the noise and picture will get their attention.
Oh yes, TV on all the time. When she's in her 'anxiety zone'...the only thing that helps is when I walk back in!!!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #4

Cinnamon- Devil Dog-Miracle

Miracles do happen....Cinnamon is now able to be in her crate without Panic Attacks and not rip her bedding, or my trailer, to shreds!!!! She only cries a little bit, but then quiets down and goes to sleep.

I found a Vet-Behaviorist in my area who gave me a few training tips, and most important.....a prescription for PROZAC....for Cinnamon, not me!!

In just 2 weeks of medication, it's like my perfect dog has surfaced. Let's go camping....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cinnamon Pics.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	40307   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (36).jpg
Views:	156
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	40308   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (31).jpg
Views:	192
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	40309   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (34).jpg
Views:	143
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	40310   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (10).jpg
Views:	146
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	40311  

Old 09-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #5

Excellent news. Have many happy outings with your friend.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #6

Excellent. She looks like a great dog, and I've been watching for the updates. I am very happy that this miracle occurred. Perhaps she can eventually be weaned off the medication, but what's important now is that you can both enjoy camping. I think she will eventually learn that you're not going to abandon her.

Thanks for the update, and I hope you'll continue to keep us dog-lovers in the loop. Great news!

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Excellent. She looks like a great dog, and I've been watching for the updates. I am very happy that this miracle occurred. Perhaps she can eventually be weaned off the medication, but what's important now is that you can both enjoy camping. I think she will eventually learn that you're not going to abandon her.

Thanks for the update, and I hope you'll continue to keep us dog-lovers in the loop. Great news!
Thanks for your interest in the Cinnamon saga, and yes, the plan is to eventually wean her off the meds.