Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #1

Curious Here....

I am not wanting to cause controversy, because I know many of you travel with your pets, which you love dearly. I would just like suggestions.

We choose to not travel and camp with our pet, which is strictly an outside dog at our home. I have allergies to pet hair and we have other reasons for our choice. Many people who do, allow their pets to roam unleashed and a lot of the time they end up in our campsite. Although these people apologize and assure us "they are friendly and just want to visit you"....what can we say back that isn't offensive, but lets them know we would rather they keep their pets in THEIR campsite? Is there a whistle that works we could use to let the dog know not to bother us....but does no harm to the dog. I have seen some advertised, but have no knowledge how they work.

Like I said, not wanting controversy, but like those who choose to bring their pets along, we prefer to have a pet-free camp and both of us have rights. We usually camp in USFS and State sites, and it is well posted that dogs/pets are to be on leash at all times. Any suggestions?

FYI....a little ending story, we had a neighboring camp dog run through and grab our steaks we were planning to bbq. My husband turned his back just for a second. The people just laughed.....I would have been mortified and done everything possible (including jumping in my vehicle and driving to the nearest store to replace them) to make it right. It ruined our planned meal and our opinion of the neighbors.....but not our camping trip....
ijensen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #2

We travel with to dogs...never let them roam or run free. That would be pretty rude. We love our pets...but they are our pets and we are careful to keep them under control.

I have never seen what you describe occur at any campsite that we have visited.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2019, 11:17 AM   #3

My wife and I love to take our 110 lb Foxhound Horatio with us when we camp, but at no time do we allow him to roam free. Anyone that brings their pets should also insure their pets are not running around free. Not only do some folks, like y'all, don't want pets in their camp, there's a risk the pet might harm someone or something (like your steaks). And just because we bring our dog, we don't want others to allow their dogs in our camp.
Just Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2019, 11:25 AM   #4

ijensen … many pet owners are very respectful of people that may cross paths with their pet, a few are not. What unwavering thought most all pet owners have in common however is that their pet "would never do that." We have had a few bad experiences as well over the years. We carry a similar item to this with us when RVing … it doesn't physically hurt the animal and sure makes them do an "about face" away from us when the issue arises.
https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-H...CBQDYG2CQ63WJV
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2019, 11:31 AM   #5

No offense taken: most of us are frustrated with dogs running loose whether we are dog lovers or not (we are.) I wish i could tell you magic words that would stop them, but I've not found them. Don't hesitate to call the park ranger when needed.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #6
RV There Yet?

We camp with a mini black bear (Newfoundland, lab, golden mix). people are sometimes afraid of her due to her size and general fluffiness . we take steps keep her in our site and is leashed when walking/in our site. if she is swimming off leash, it is away from people. if others show up, she is recalled to us and leashed. she is also trained not to stray from us or go into others sites and NEVER takes food that is not offered to her, under any conditions. we also prefer that people and especially kids, ask permission to approach.

you have ever right to be as polite or nasty as you want when someone elses animal invades your site. you dont know that animal or owner and how they will react to you. something like "hi guys/gals, my family is very allergic to dogs, we would really appreciate it you could please keep them out of our site and on a leash as is required by park rules, thanks for understanding " there is usually no reason to escalate a situation to shouting and shoving. depending on their reaction, a follow up with the park ranger/staff is advisable.

by the time you retrieve your whistle, it is probably too late and the dog is already there. kill the owner with kindness and let them know that it bothers you, educate them. in the case of your pilfered steaks, ask the owners how they plan to rectify the situation. since their response was laughing about it, let park staff know what happened, and then let it go. dont let it ruin your trip, please take the time to go into town, explore a little and have an evening trying a local eatery. not ideal or what you had planned, but you can still enjoy each others company.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
No offense taken: most of us are frustrated with dogs running loose whether we are dog lovers or not (we are.) I wish i could tell you magic words that would stop them, but I've not found them. Don't hesitate to call the park ranger when needed.

I agree with Cedar Creek Woody here. We are dog lovers too and have two furry kids that go camping with us, but always leashed and we use bark collars for bark control.

Anyway, I was going to say to tell them that you love dogs but have allergies, I think that is polite and true cause I know a few people with dog hair allergies

But... after seeing the part about the steak. Heeeccckkk Noooo. I think you need to let the park ranger know what is going on here and they need to enforce the pet on leash rule.

Again, why I enjoy company of my dogs rather then people lol, not the dogs fault.
scottnlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #8

I too love dogs. The ARE mans best friend. That being said not all people like dogs. Not all people like cats(me included), but I am not going to mean to your cat or dog. Right is right and wrong is wrong. I am not sure what I would have done, but your steak situation would have been rectified in some way. That was just rude and totally unsociable. A total invasion of your space and a total lack of respect for your property. The people are bad and not the animals. Hello they are animals. Nature will prevail.

Occasionally an animal will slip the leash, break the chain or just get free. What will they do? They will go exploring.

I still laugh when I see a cat on a lease. It reminds me of a June Bug on a string.

I am sorry for your bad experience. I will apologize as an animal owner and lover for the inconsiderate neighbor and hope that never happens to you again.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #9

Curious Here....

What seem odd to me is that many dog owners think that I want to pet their dog ?? What would make them think that ? I don’t carry a sign that says that ??

Just Saturday a couple came by with a new pup. Walked right up on our lot and started telling us what kind of special breed it was. I was polite. Then the gentleman said. She wants you to pet her?? Do you want to pet her ? I politely said nope!! I thought they both going to cry. Sorry. I’ve had many dogs in my life. Never one on a leash.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #10
Scoundrel

No offense taken at all. We bring our dog with us everywhere and I do get concerned about having to break up a dog fight because of an irresponsible pet owner letting their dog run loose.

The issue is not a pet problem, its a people problem and has to be dealt with just like any other complication that comes with disrespectful campground etiquette, whether it be loud noise, out-of-control children, or pets running loose.

I have in the past struck up a friendly conversation with the "offending" neighbor and nicely ask that they please keep their dog away from our camp site. I have never had a problem with a pet owner agreeing to keep their pet confined to their camp site when confronted in a pleasant and civil manner.

Just as an aside, we use campgrounds only while travelling between destinations and typically we are boondocking in remote areas when pulling our camper.

Rich J.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2019, 01:22 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
No offense taken at all. We bring our dog with us everywhere and I do get concerned about having to break up a dog fight because of an irresponsible pet owner letting their dog run loose.

The issue is not a pet problem, its a people problem and has to be dealt with just like any other complication that comes with disrespectful campground etiquette, whether it be loud noise, out-of-control children, or pets running loose.

I have in the past struck up a friendly conversation with the "offending" neighbor and nicely ask that they please keep their dog away from our camp site. I have never had a problem with a pet owner agreeing to keep their pet confined to their camp site when confronted in a pleasant and civil manner.

Just as an aside, we use campgrounds only while travelling between destinations and typically we are boondocking in remote areas when pulling our camper.

Rich J.
Excellent post.
I'm reposting so folks will read and LEARN!
Pay special attention to the 2nd paragraph.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2019, 12:19 AM   #12

We travel with 2 Chihuahuas. They are seldom if ever off the leash when we go outside. When possible I put up a fenced in area so that when we sit outside they will be contained. Even then, they have their leashes on. Both love to explore but we always control them. The one time they did get out, still on the leash, my wife called them and they came right back. Sorry for the inconsiderate pet owners. Unfortunately there are those kinds of people in the world. Fortunately the responsible people outnumber them about 1,000 to 1.

"Red" my 2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 W/ Max Tow pkg
"Rover" our 2018 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2019, 12:32 AM   #13
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by revbilly View Post
Snip.... Fortunately the responsible people outnumber them about 1,000 to 1.
Yes! Agreed! Responsible pet owners outnumber irresponsible pet owners. With that in mind, I do carry pepper spray (available from Walmart) in case I'm every confronted with an agressive dog.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2019, 02:12 AM   #14
Multi-Slacker

We, too, have had to deal with dogs running loose in campgrounds and on multip[le occasions. We no longer take our dog camping with us - partly her fault and partly other folks/dogs' fault.

We have a GSD (German Sheperd Dog) who is highly dog reactive. Whenever she sees another dog she flips her wig and starts non stop barking. I do not understand why people with little dogs feel compelled to bring them over the "meet" our dog who is going nuts. We have had to ask some folks to please move on. So rather than be a nuisance to our neighbors, we leave her with a daughter. She loves the grandkids and I assume, hardly misses us
Old 01-22-2019, 06:08 AM   #15

I am a dog owner and travel with two small dogs 80% of the time.

That said...

People are stupid. Sometimes you need to let them in on the secret.

I would simply say - Hey, I love dogs, but not yours. Please keep him/her out of my space and I will do the same with mine.

Simple as that.
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2019, 06:27 AM   #16
Site Team

Pepper spray. (or bear spray) but be aware it can be a harsh alternative to lesser deterrents. And, 9 out of 10 times, you'll feel the effects of the spray too, especially if it's windy. And, your campsite will hold the irritant for a while.
And I'd definitely advertise that stray dogs will be pepper sprayed if they enter your campsite.
Now, this is a bit drastic, but if you have health issues or a fear of dogs, it may be an option.
PS. I might reserve it for larger dogs.
*I have a Maltese. She's tiny, and Chloe would NEVER do anything like running into you site to lick you to death. Lol

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2019, 06:56 AM   #17
"On the road again"

Not only dogs allowed to roam free (I hate taking our dog out and finding a "fresh deposit" in what is supposed to be "our area" - at least the area of the RV park we're paying for).

And, I'll never understand people who bring dogs that continually bark and bark and bark and bark and bark and bark and bark and bark and bark. Well, you get my point.

We previously owned a schnauzer that would bark at her shadow. Consequently she always was kenneled (at sometimes great expense) when we camped. After she died we rescued a dachshund as a pup and taught her at home as well as camping..."Don't bark".

In turn she taught our outside dog.

The doxie will "woof" once, very quietly if someone knocks on the door of the RV, just to make sure we heard. But otherwise...she is mute.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2019, 08:08 AM   #18

We have a senior rescue dog that travels with us everywhere. She does not need to be leashed however we would never do that around other campers.

She is friendly with people, but not dogs. Barks a minimum amount.

I walk her daily in our trendy neighborhood. We have been approached by loose dogs several times. Downside is she would damage these animals if they get too close. She will fight. Terriers are not to be fooled with.

I carry a defensive spray of Citronella that should deter most dogs and not harm them. I also carry pepper spray for dogs that have attacked us before.

It is true there are a lot of irresponsible dog owners out there. Actually, the camping bunch seems to be better than my neighbors. Much better.

What bothers me the most is about 30% of all owners fail to pick up their poop. If a dog owner does not have a bag dispenser on his leash he likely will not pick up his dogs deposits. I hate that in campgrounds.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2019, 08:21 AM   #19

We bring our dogs, they stay on a leash and I keep a small bucket and bags for clean up. Two years ago at a local CG, someone insisted on letting their pit bull mix run loose in the CG. Several reports were made about aggressive animals in the park. Sure enough they showed up in the area we were in and as soon as they saw our two dogs....it was ON !! Well....had to grab a baseball bat to fend them off. Be responsible and follow the rules.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2019, 01:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
What bothers me the most is about 30% of all owners fail to pick up their poop. If a dog owner does not have a bag dispenser on his leash he likely will not pick up his dogs deposits. I hate that in campgrounds.
Me too
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote Reply