Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2021, 08:40 AM   #1

Dog fence solutions

We have a 60lb Border Collie mix - got him as a rescue - he's really sweet and never aggressive. But if he sees a squirrel he's gone. When we car camp I always use a long dog run style leach so he can move around camp but with our new camper life I was thinking we could make him a small fenced area where possible.

Anyone have experience with this or have recommendations?
Thanks
Old 10-14-2021, 09:09 AM   #2

We have 3 dogs and we purchased 3 of these portable fences that depending on where we camp we can set it up = we typically use both the RV & Fence to make a huge rectangle area just outside the door.

They foldup an ae put storage when not needed.

https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Folda...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 20
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo44 View Post
We have 3 dogs and we purchased 3 of these portable fences that depending on where we camp we can set it up = we typically use both the RV & Fence to make a huge rectangle area just outside the door.

They foldup an ae put storage when not needed.

https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Folda...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
X2 for the Midwest Pen setup. We use five of those sections with another on cut down to keep the three Jacks from going under the MH (which would allow them to escape through the opposite side). The panels have been in use since 2016 and are still good as new.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:36 AM   #4

This was my original idea but I've never tried it:
https://www.amazon.com/Strength-Fenc...222044&sr=8-10

It would be flimsy but more versatile (like to wrap around trees and make a custom pen), but it probably isnt very durable. Wouldnt take up a lot of room in the truck if it just rolls up.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:53 AM   #5
Site Team

Check here and do a search for "Fence". I found several threads.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f90/
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Check here and do a search for "Fence". I found several threads.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f90/
Thanks, I did do a search for dog fence but lots of random stuff came up
Old 10-14-2021, 10:55 AM   #7
Defender of America

I have 4 sets of these. 3 @ 40" and 1 @ 24". Have 85 LB lab that loves to chase squirrels too.

Check these out on Amazon.

BestPet Pet Playpen 8 Panel Indoor Outdoor Folding Metal Protable Puppy Exercise Pen Dog Fence,24",32",40"

I appear to have not clipped the direct link. Sorry.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I have 4 sets of these. 3 @ 40" and 1 @ 24". Have 85 LB lab that loves to chase squirrels too.

Check these out on Amazon.

BestPet Pet Playpen 8 Panel Indoor Outdoor Folding Metal Protable Puppy Exercise Pen Dog Fence,24",32",40"

I appear to have not clipped the direct link. Sorry.
Link. It’s a good fence.
https://www.amazon.com/BestPet-Metal...4227920&sr=8-2
Old 10-14-2021, 01:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by colomap View Post
We have a 60lb Border Collie mix - got him as a rescue - he's really sweet and never aggressive. But if he sees a squirrel he's gone. When we car camp I always use a long dog run style leach so he can move around camp but with our new camper life I was thinking we could make him a small fenced area where possible.

Anyone have experience with this or have recommendations?
Thanks

We have a 75lb german shepherd who is also not aggressive, but loves to chase her squirrels, bunnies and kitties too.

We tried some of the above recommended "metal" fencing solutions as a way to keep her in the confines of our campsite when camping. Problem with them is two fold. Once they get rained on, they start to quickly rust, even the ones coated with non-rust surfaces. They're also too damn heavy to transport inside the camper without causing damage while to and from camping. They're also too heavy to lug in and out of the bed of my truck without pulling a muscle or hurting my back.

Instead, we bought two sets of the below plastic fencing that doesn't rust, is rigid enough to stand up to relatively high ocean winds, when we beach camp, and are much lighter and easier to load/unload from the bed of my truck. What's nice about these sets is you can easily add on to them to make one great big corral to contain the furry beasts. To give them some added stability, we slightly bend each two piece section and connect them with one of the plastic stakes that come in the set. We then use another one of the plastic connecting stakes to attach the next slightly bent section, and so forth in a slight zig-zag pattern, until you make the area as long or short as you want.

We even made a gate by simply pounding in the ground a 1/4" diameter x 4-foot steel rod instead of one of the provided plastic connecting stakes to one side of a fence section and leaving the other side un-staked and un-connected to the adjoining fence section. We keep the gate closed with a bungee cord or two hooked to the rungs of the gate fence section to the rungs of adjoining section that's not connected.

Lastly, we also bought about a dozen or so 5-foot green tomato stakes to also pound in the ground right behind or in front of the fencing. We then lash them to the fence sections with bungee cords to complete it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 11:27 AM   #10

I have had herding dogs for over 50 years. It is easy to train them to stick around. We have a fenced yard, but when I am working outside, I leave the gate open sometimes. The dogs are trained not to go out the gate unless they are invited.

I travel with 3. Mostly I tie them each up with a rope about 15 feet long. They go for hikes and chase sticks every day, so they are happy to rest on the rope. In quiet camping spots they all run loose and never go far from camp. They are in charge of camp security.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 12:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
I have had herding dogs for over 50 years. It is easy to train them to stick around. We have a fenced yard, but when I am working outside, I leave the gate open sometimes. The dogs are trained not to go out the gate unless they are invited.

I travel with 3. Mostly I tie them each up with a rope about 15 feet long. They go for hikes and chase sticks every day, so they are happy to rest on the rope. In quiet camping spots they all run loose and never go far from camp. They are in charge of camp security.

So you let them run loose and crap all over the campground so you never have to pick up after them ????
Old 12-21-2021, 01:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
So you let them run loose and crap all over the campground so you never have to pick up after them ????
Wow! Hate dogs much?

Many dogs can be off a leash and not present an issue although I do leash mine when leaving the camper just to prevent unwanted conversations with the local Karen.

If you encounter a camper that doesn't clean up after their dogs tell them what you think. Don't bring it here please!
Old 12-21-2021, 01:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post

Just about every campground I've ever stayed at, including ones at State Parks, require all pets to be leashed, so I'm not sure where they're camping, unless they boondock.

While I agree my shepherd has never wandered off lead or outside of fencing at home or other public places, I always keep her behind temporary fencing at our campsite out of courtesy to my camp neighbors.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:53 PM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Just about every campground I've ever stayed at, including ones at State Parks, require all pets to be leashed, so I'm not sure where they're camping, unless they boondock.

While I agree my shepherd has never wandered off lead or outside of fencing at home or other public places, I always keep her behind temporary fencing at our campsite out of courtesy to my camp neighbors.
Agreed.

While I've had (and seen) pets that would never stray, if the rules state ALL pets on a leash then that's what it means, ALL pets. The rules are for EVERYONE even those who believe THEIR pet is the best behaved in the world.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 02:00 PM   #15

Dog fence solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CRE View Post
Wow! Hate dogs much?

Many dogs can be off a leash and not present an issue although I do leash mine when leaving the camper just to prevent unwanted conversations with the local Karen.

If you encounter a camper that doesn't clean up after their dogs tell them what you think. Don't bring it here please!

🤣🤣🤣
Sorry I Just don’t like relaxing with my best friend on a leash in the middle of the night and a larger dog walks into camp and torque’s up my dog. Then in the morning stepping into a pile .
I get it if the rules state other wise but I’ve never seen a six foot leash rule not required.
Old 06-19-2022, 10:29 AM   #16

a bit late, but here my thoughts: We have six dogs (have been more, lol), all rescues. Our dogs are used to run freely on our property (a small farm) and still, I wouldn't have them run loose while camping. or anywhere foreign to them. There's no 100% in nature. There's no 100% obedient dog. Ok, if it's a very old or arthritic dog, but otherwise better safe than sorry.

Not only because of courtesy to a Karen but also I'd be afraid to lose one of them. There are enough stories about dogs getting away at a campground, and the owners were lucky if they got them back. We once had a whippet run away (due to friends leaving the door open). He's shy and skittish. We got him after a couple of hours, in the state park, but only because we knew what to do.
Never again. Leash or fence it is.

PS: the whippet stays home. He's very much a non-travel dog.
HelG is offline   Reply With Quote